Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Question would you want the Squadron set in Modern-day or WW2?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PLG1962 View Post

World War 2 for sure.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Mock Cover by Craig Cermak.

Attachment 115957
    I love these mock covers.

WW2.

Peace

I can deal with a modern-day version of the All-Star Squadron, but they must have their ties to the ORIGINAL WWII era group. The A-SS was a group who was created to aid the war effort, so any "modern day" version might be hard pressed to find a purpose without having major links of some sort to the original WWII era group.

WWII would be my preference. One of the amazing things about the original series was Roy Thomas' ability to blend real-world events with golden age comics and the new stories he was telling. I'd appreciate that approach if possible. This setting gave the Squadron a unique identity that separated them from the rest of DC's 80's superhero teams.

A modern-day Squadron would need a reason for existing beyond being just another super group. DC already has plenty of those. A modern team would need a unique identity that still tied into their history.

Unless, of course, DC wanted to give the team their own Earth.

Extraordinary Member

This brings back so many nice memories for me.

I had a subscription to JLA and fondly remember the insert preview for All Star Squadron. I picked up issue #1 and read the book up until Crisis On Infinite Earths.

I loved being introduced to so many heroes I was unfamiliar with. Roy Thomas was an excellent writer and the art was always top notch. I still have those comics somewhere at my parents' house. They're individually wrapped in the plastic covers so hopefully they're still in good condition. I need to find them and bring them here and re-read them.

I particularly remember first seeing the JLA crossover issue and being very excited about it. I believe Per Degation was the villain but can't remember much more than that.

Now you've got me looking forward to reading these issues again. Very nice memories of my childhood for sure.

Ultimate Member

I'd like a post war All Star Squadron, see how the characters adjust to peace and maybe explore how some villains managed to hold on, like Ultra Humantite

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'd like a post war All Star Squadron, see how the characters adjust to peace and maybe explore how some villains managed to hold on, like Ultra Humantite
    That is called The Golden Age, by James Robinson and Paul Smith. It's quite good.

Peace

Incredible Member

I think there are obviously a large enough base that a revived All Star Squadron would work.
    But we can't even get a JSA book, so the odds of it returning anytime soon are remote.
    The series was going great guns until COIE killed it. So, thanks Marv Wolfman for that!

I'm not quite sure if we really need another World War II version of it though. I mean
    we had All Star Squadron, the tremendous Young All Stars (am I the only person who remembers it?).
    I think a post-war book set in say 1946 would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I think there are obviously a large enough base that a revived All Star Squadron would work.
    But we can't even get a JSA book, so the odds of it returning anytime soon are remote.
    The series was going great guns until COIE killed it. So, thanks Marv Wolfman for that!
    It wasn't Marv Wolfman's fault as to what happened to All-Star Squadron. That lies more with the editorial side and how they handled what would and would not be allowed post-CoIE.

I'm not quite sure if we really need another World War II version of it though. I mean we had All Star Squadron, the tremendous Young All Stars (am I the only person who remembers it?).
    I remember Young All-Stars, but not quite as fondly as you do. Roy wasn't as strong on that title.

As for WWII, there were still several more years of the war that weren't covered in All-Star Squadron / Young All-Stars, so I wouldn't mind more of that period (1943-1945).

Roy's been vocal about his position that, even though DC legally owns the All-Star Squadron, he views it as "morally" his and thus he really isn't interested in seeing any other writer try to take a crack at it. To be fair, does anybody think there's a writer out there who's even interested in writing the All-Stars, let alone capable of doing it justice? And by "doing it justice," I mean not take the attitude of "Screw history and continuity, these antiquated characters need to be slaughtered on a scale that makes Gettysberg look like the Three Stooges."

That's not fair. Wolfman was merely the gun DC executives pointed and shot. And, considering the daunting task he had before him, I do think he (and Perez and Ordway and Giordano) actually did quite a good job. Granted, it was the death kneel for some series and characters, including some that Wolfman himself was handling, such as Wonder Girl, however, it was what could've been done, under the mandate to unify the DCU.

I'm not quite sure if we really need another World War II version of it though. I mean
    we had All Star Squadron, the tremendous Young All Stars (am I the only person who remembers it?).
    I liked Young All-Stars. I applaud Roy's efforts with the book, but it was riddled with problems and mistakes. The biggest problem, for me, was the lack of consistency of a top-notch art team. The biggest mistake, IMHO, was setting the new kids as a separate team from the adult All-Stars, effectively relegating the main team as mere occasional guest-stars. For me, the book would have worked much better if the Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc... new surrogates had been integrated into the Old team, and Roy had continued in the same route he'd taken with All-Star Squadron vol. 01.
    AS for the post-war All-Star Squadron, it's been done, and very well done, IMHO, in Robinson and Smith's Golden Age.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 12-06-2021 at 07:53 AM.

ALL STARS 4.jpgALL STARS 4.jpg[SIZEdc cn we get a revival of this team.[/SIZE]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116162[/Ai really like Firebrand and Liberty Belle.[/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images