Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default All-Star Squadron Appreciation Thread 2021

I was truly annoyed when DC scrapped plans to release Generation One: Age of Mysteries last year, because even if DC wasn't going to fully commit to the previously announced 5G plan, they could still go with the one-shot that would clarify what was still in-play for the DC universe's past.

I was hopeful it also would have clarified if the All-Star Squadron was still considered "canon" in official DC history.

from Who's Who Update '87 #1 (August 1987)

Anyway, here's a thread to at least remember the Squadron and celebrate the world of DC heroes who were fighting the good fight back in the days of World War II!

from Justice League of America #193 (August 1981)

All-Star Squadron #36 & #37 are my favorite issues, because the SHAZAM!/Marvel Family made prominent appearances

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I was truly annoyed when DC scrapped plans to release Generation One: Age of Mysteries last year, because even if DC wasn't going to fully commit to the previously announced 5G plan, they could still go with the one-shot that would clarify what was still in-play for the DC universe's past.

I was hopeful it also would have clarified if the All-Star Squadron was still considered "canon" in official DC history.

from Who's Who Update '87 #1 (August 1987)

Anyway, here's a thread to at least remember the Squadron and celebrate the world of DC heroes who were fighting the good fight back in the days of World War II!

from Justice League of America #193 (August 1981)
    Considering they were using a Bat-image to mark every generation, perhaps it's for the best that plan didn't go through. That doesn't seem like a healthy way to build a universe even if it's honest given their track record.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Shinning Knight Attacks!

AllStar49.jpg

Almost 35 years later (God, I'm old), and I still miss this book. One of my all-time favorites.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Almost 35 years later (God, I'm old), and I still miss this book. One of my all-time favorites.

Peace

Same here! DC really needs to relaunch this title and pick up right where Roy Thomas left off.

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Considering they were using a Bat-image to mark every generation, perhaps it's for the best that plan didn't go through. That doesn't seem like a healthy way to build a universe even if it's honest given their track record.
    I didn't care about the whole "5G" thing, but I DID want that "Age of Mystery" issue just to see what was still in play in the mind of DC.
    (I probably would have passed on everything after that Generation One issue unless that story of the Golden Age-era heroes was directly continued in the 2nd issue.)

ALL STARS 0.jpgi'm wrkn on my Satelitte years JLA.ALL Stars Squadron will be next i have a couple issues they need to bring them back as just the Squadron w former JSA and Freedom Fighters Members n leave the new JSA to younger members Power Girl the Huntress Fury ect.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    . . . they need to bring them back as just the Squadron w former JSA and Freedom Fighters Members n leave the new JSA to younger members Power Girl the Huntress Fury ect.[/SIZE]
    I don't quite agree.

The All-Star Squadron was a product of the time period it was set in: World War II.
    It was the banding together of all heroes to help defend the U.S. and do what it could to aid the war effort (based on the limitations they were under because of the Spear of Destiny and the Holy Grail preventing heroes like Superman and Doctor Fate from directly entering the territories controlled by the Axis Powers).
    The JSA, the Seven Soldiers of Victory, etc. were still operating back then, but there was the larger umbrella organization of the All-Star Squadron they would work together under as needed.

Great picture. ORdway Nailing most of the most important All-Stars of the run. Only Phantom Lady isn't and should be here.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Great picture. ORdway Nailing most of the most important All-Stars of the run. Only Phantom Lady isn't and should be here.
    Much as I love Sandra Knight, she really wasn't as constantly involved in the All-Star Squadron's stories as most of those that were featured in that illustration (which was in Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. I, cover-dated March 1985).
    And she was probably more identified with the Freedom Fighters than with her time working with the other members of the All-Star Squadron.

All-New Member

As plastic/poly bags tend to get nasty with age, I have been getting rid of them and replacing them with mylites. A couple of days ago I put my complete run of All-Star Squadron in mylites. As I was doing so, I couldn't help but read a dozen issues or so and I was reminded of just how colorful the covers were. My only regrets: 1) The book was printed on newsprint. Oh, how those colors would have popped on Baxter paper!!! 2) No omnibus or deluxe edition? This was one of my 2-3 favorite series of the 80's! I need this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
    As plastic/poly bags tend to get nasty with age, I have been getting rid of them and replacing them with mylites. A couple of days ago I put my complete run of All-Star Squadron in mylites. As I was doing so, I couldn't help but read a dozen issues or so and I was reminded of just how colorful the covers were. My only regrets: 1) The book was printed on newsprint. Oh, how those colors would have popped on Baxter paper!!! 2) No omnibus or deluxe edition? This was one of my 2-3 favorite series of the 80's! I need this!!!
    So do I, and Im not an Omnibus fan (Too expensive for my taste. I think I have only 3 or 4 I couldn't resist having).

Peace

Boisterously Confused

ALL STARS 0.jpgi'm wrkn on my Satelitte years JLA.ALL Stars Squadron will be next i have a couple issues they need to bring them back as just the Squadron w former JSA and Freedom Fighters Members n leave the new JSA to younger members Power Girl the Huntress Fury ect.
    I loved that Thomas went light on the Bigger Name characters and really threw the spotlight on some of the era's second bananas. I wish he could have taken the book to (what I understand to have been) his original endgame.

I've heard that he intended that the book cover the entire war, with about a week of real time to the issue, give or take multi-issue stories. While overly nostalgic, I really enjoyed the way he threaded the real history of the time into the setting of the book. It wasn't just the war either; his Amazing Man story on the Sojourner Truth Homes was a head-on take on racism that was rare at the time for DC.