Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast

I wish I wasn't so addicted to super hero comics, it's always disappointment after disappointment...

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I'll be happy in Ewing is able to continue his Guardians run in Champions, it felt like there was a lot of crossover between the two.
    Huh? Not really. The only thing that links them is they both have a Nova.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Guardians are the new Champions. Constantly relaunched to the point that readers will just give up. Heck, Guardians have been relaunched even more times than the Champions.
    Only because GOTG is older. Champions only launched five years ago, GOTG launched in it's present form in 2008?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    I wish the book ended on a higher note, but Ewing has unfortunately proven to not be a good writer of events; between this one and Empyre, they just both felt flat. Dormammu was portrayed poorly, didn't really do anything himself (his presence existed but he was a background image essentially) and the one attack thrown at him defeated him. The last few chapters with Hulkling and Wiccan, then the Wakkandans and now the Guardians, the threat in each issue felt so weak and the threat so easily overcome, you don't want that with your event villain or a villain at all. It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise given how the Ultimates ended pretty weakly (and he scrapped his initial ending with Galactus stopping the First Fallen and returning to his devourer status because he liked lifebringer Galactus only for Galactus to revert back to the devourer a few months later), he also wrote a big threat like The Dragon of the Moon as a mere nuisance earlier in the run as well as the Progenitors before the Annihilation event. The event really degraded the whole Annihilation name, even the mini event with Sentry in the Negative Zone was better and felt like more was at stake.

I like the double sized team Ewing assembled (even if most of them did nothing in this last issue), I thought the Olympians storyline was fun even if the Olympians themselves and how they returned weren't really fleshed out well in it. Not really a fan of Ewing's Starlord, feels like a different character. Having the two Quasars swap between one another was a happy medium that works for everyone. I feel Ewing wrote Rocket pretty well (just needed a bit more fun to him). Drax seemed a bit too relegated to the background.

I think it could work out if Ewing would take Aaron's job on The Avengers, he'd be better suited there than he is for cosmic stuff, in my opinion at least. I'm not really a big fan of Ewing though, he just ends up writing a lot of characters I like and cosmic stories that I always follow, I don't mean to disparage him or his fans, his stuff just has this feel that I like many elements to the stories he writes, just not the execution as a whole.

The Guardians, I'm not sure who'd I'd like to see take on the title next. If Tom Taylor's Dark Ages ends up being good maybe him, as the first issue had a positive vibe to me that hearkens back to some works from the 90's to very early 2000's (2000-2002, pre-Quesada takeover). Christopher Cantwell as well could work well if his current Iron Man run is any indication so far.
    Taylor or Cantwell on the book would be great. I feel Cantwell is restricted with his Iron Man run, and I can see him crossing over plot threads in the event his Iron Man is cancelled.

Honestly, Ewing on Avengers is what I'm hoping for. His style matches that kind of team book over Guardians and I can imagine him bringing it back to the 70's and 80's but with a cosmic spin.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Feels like the Doom stuff at the end was set up for a future arc, so it doesn't look like Ewing originally planned for the book to end right now. I'm really curious about what happened here. If not for sales, I suspect editorial might've interfered and ended the book because they have other plans. The Reckoning War was mentioned, which is something Slott is doing as some big event. I guess that could affect Guardians.

I want Ewing on Fantastic Four or Avengers. I just started his guardians when the solicits first announced this storyline. Then liked it so much I went back and read the whole run. Now it’s over. Sad…

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Feels like the Doom stuff at the end was set up for a future arc, so it doesn't look like Ewing originally planned for the book to end right now. I'm really curious about what happened here. If not for sales, I suspect editorial might've interfered and ended the book because they have other plans. The Reckoning War was mentioned, which is something Slott is doing as some big event. I guess that could affect Guardians.
    So could Captain Marvel's current arc, Last of the Marvels, which involves Phyla-Vell and Noh-Varr.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

It is foreshadowing the reckoning war. Maybe Ewing will write a Doom mini

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Totally agree. Can't stand all this constant chopping and changing. Does it actually have an effect on readership? Do more people buy and stick with the series every time it's relaunched?

For me this is the best run since the DnA series, so I'm super gutted that the book is cancelled.
    No. Constant relaunches are confusing as hell. Even buying trades is a nightmare. I remember picking up an Inhumans book that relaunched with a number 1. The issue just jumped into an ongoing story arc! No background on what was going on at all. So much for Marvel's claim of relaunches making great jumpinng on points.

Can't say i am surprised. It seems the books with the most lgbt+ characters that do more than lip service are usually the first to go. Though the best book the main line has right now, United States of Cap i am pretty sure is next as issue four imo was sabotaged with an artist not even close to the other issues.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Can't say i am surprised. It seems the books with the most lgbt+ characters that do more than lip service are usually the first to go. Though the best book the main line has right now, United States of Cap i am pretty sure is next as issue four imo was sabotaged with an artist not even close to the other issues.
    United States of Cap was always a mini series.

But yeah, this really sucks. I'm going to try and remain hopeful that there's a larger plan in store for these characters, and that they haven't all just been unceremoniously dumped...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

But yeah, this really sucks. I'm going to try and remain hopeful that there's a larger plan in store for these characters, and that they haven't all just been unceremoniously dumped...
    I know! Our team is just floating aimlessly about in space now.......
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

No relaunch news yet, but Ewing Guardians with their jackets and everything are showing up for the Last of the Marvels event

Mighty Member

I think it was in the Xavier Files interview but Ewing said he was given only 12 issues of Guardians and then told to do an event which is why we got "The Last Annihilation" and he was only given like 6 issues to do it and after that they didn't let him stay any longer. The sales for the comic weren't even bad but my guess is that Marvel wanted him to be with the X-Men since it got leaked that he was going to get an X-title to replace SWORD once that ended.

But like I said he still had plans for Nova and it's up to Marvel if he gets to do those plans or not. Matthew Rosenberg has even said on twitter that he has his own ideas for Nova and wants to tell stories with that character but Marvel Editorial isn't interested in his pitches. Maybe after Nova vol.7 Marvel is probably hesitant to do another Nova comic because that title didn't sell well (yet it sold better than Rivera's America and and that got like 12 issues).

Quote Originally Posted by MexM View Post
    No relaunch news yet, but Ewing Guardians with their jackets and everything are showing up for the Last of the Marvels event

Kind of late for them to be making the rounds now, but okay.

It makes sense considering two of the Marvels (Phyla and Marvel Boy) were on the GOTG. With the Avengers there though, you'd think the Champions would be there as well, especially since Kamala's involved. And it would've been a chance for the two Novas to team up again.