Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I agree it makes little sense so far.

What I liked even less about the reveal was the reasoning that they needed Avril there instead of Wendell...because she's former SHIELD so she can do espionage.

Umm HELLO! Wendell Vaughn WAS A SHIELD AGENT WHEN HE BECAME QUASAR!!!
    I'll mention that while Wendell did work for SHIELD, he was also deemed unfit for field work and only did jobs like security. Not exactly espionage.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    I'll mention that while Wendell did work for SHIELD, he was also deemed unfit for field work and only did jobs like security. Not exactly espionage.
    I know, right?! He lacked a fighting edge/killer instinct, and it was that lack of a mean streak that helped him gain control of the Quantum Bands.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! He lacked a fighting edge/killer instinct, and it was that lack of a mean streak that helped him gain control of the Quantum Bands.
    Then it's another plot hole if Arvil does have a killer instinct that allowed her to be a spy. She should haver been ashes as were Wendell predecessors in using the Quantum Bands. Has it ever been explained how Wendell got his bands removed to give them to her? They were supposed to be bonded to him untill death (which, I know, has come and gone a couple of times since).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V
    I know, right?! He lacked a fighting edge/killer instinct, and it was that lack of a mean streak that helped him gain control of the Quantum Bands
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Then it's another plot hole if Arvil does have a killer instinct that allowed her to be a spy. She should haver been ashes as were Wendell predecessors in using the Quantum Bands. Has it ever been explained how Wendell got his bands removed to give them to her? They were supposed to be bonded to him untill death (which, I know, has come and gone a couple of times since).
    Sigh. Folks all you needed to know is that Marvel is determined to make Fetch happen
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Sigh. Folks all you needed to know is that Marvel is determined to make Fetch happen
    I wouldn't say she's a "Fetch" but beyond diversity and being a blank slate I just don't really see the appeal.

I've never got why the galactic council have wanted a Nova core. Why would they want an outside force interfering in their own internal affairs?

And why would the council want to fund a core with soldiers that don't have the nova force? Surely these planets have their own police and military forces that they can use instead.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I've never got why the galactic council have wanted a Nova core. Why would they want an outside force interfering in their own internal affairs?

And why would the council want to fund a core with soldiers that don't have the nova force? Surely these planets have their own police and military forces that they can use instead.
    Same question the Green Lantern Corp. is getting right now .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Same question the Green Lantern Corp. is getting right now .
    I guess that's part of why L.E.G.I.O.N. was such a great concept over at DC.

Peace

Astonishing Member

I guess it is meant to be a balance of power. In real life whole nations were created just to take away from defeated powerful nations to act as buffer state. Since they are neutral no Galatic power could just invade without facing something that could act as a leader for a coalition against them since the Nova Corps is a police force not an Empire means they could not just call up the other powers to invade and claim worlds for themselves.

I wouldn't say she's a "Fetch" but beyond diversity and being a blank slate I just don't really see the appeal.
    Marvel sees its heroes as a line of sodas. Think of her as Peach Coke, it's terrible but someone likes it so it has to be there. Sometimes this idea works and you end up with Cherry flavor (Miles Morales, Ms Marvel, Viv Vision)) and sometimes you end up with Peach (X-23, Gabby, Kate Bishop, Kid Nova)
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Marvel sees its heroes as a line of sodas. Think of her as Peach Coke, it's terrible but someone likes it so it has to be there. Sometimes this idea works and you end up with Cherry flavor (Miles Morales, Ms Marvel, Viv Vision)) and sometimes you end up with Peach (X-23, Gabby, Kate Bishop, Kid Nova)
    is the implication here that Kate Bishop, X-23, and Gabby are not well-received characters? They're some of Marvel's most popular recent creations lol.

Also, regarding Avril, I don't think she really fits with any of those categories. She's a pretty blank slate and not enough has been done with her to judge yet. Ewing has a good track record with blank slates (like Pod/Enigma), so I'm excited to see what he does with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    is the implication here that Kate Bishop, X-23, and Gabby are not well-received characters? They're some of Marvel's most popular recent creations lol.

Also, regarding Avril, I don't think she really fits with any of those categories. She's a pretty blank slate and not enough has been done with her to judge yet. Ewing has a good track record with blank slates (like Pod/Enigma), so I'm excited to see what he does with her.
    Landing in Ewing's lap is probably the best thing that could have happened to her.

Landing in Ewing's lap is probably the best thing that could have happened to her.
    Amen to that. Ewing does a terrific job with all characters in general, but the ones with barely a story are the ones that win the most in developement. April is in great hands.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Wendell has died a few times -- and that seemed to end the permanent bonding aspect. When he was killed the bands were taken by Annihilus, and then recovered by Phyla who used them to became the 2nd Quasar. When Wendell was restored to life, she gave the bands back to him. Since then there has been no mention of the permanent bond being reinstated. There has so far been no explanation of how Wendell got the bands back in the first place after Avril was supposedly killed and disappeared at the end of "Secret Empire".

As for Wendell's lack of killer instinct being what allowed him to control than bands--that theory has been disproven by the other band users since him (Phyla, Avril and especially Annihilus...although he mostly used them as a power source as opposed to actually accessing their abilities). It is interesting to note that both Phyla and Avril are openly gay, and Wendell has been speculated to be gay or bisexual (not just by fans, but in-story as well--in his solo series Wendell's girlfriend admits she thought that he and Makkari were a couple). I doubt that Marvel will actually reveal that the Quantum Bands only work for queer users--but so far it does seem to be the pattern that's developing.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Maybe we'll finally get the Wendall bi story that Gru wanted to do all those years ago (I've been begging for this ever since I saw he was back and Ewing and writing).

The idea that the Quantum Bands could only be used by LGBT+ characters would be interesting and it wouldn't change anything about anyone whose already used them before. While Nova had them on during the first Annihilation, Wendall was clearly possessing them, so that's the easy get out without making Nova literally Dick Rider, which is a joke no one needs made real.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God