Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wouldn't worry about GOTG being cancelled, at least not for lack of sales. It ranked in the top 100 comics by Diamond Distributors for July at #51

http://www.novaprimepage.com/ewing.asp

Awesome interview with Ewing regarding Nova, his trauma and some perspective in general to how he dealt with GOTG (having an interconnected structure instead of the usual "everthing falls apart" story). Pretty interesting, hope he continues to be the Space Guy at Marvel as he says, looks like he still has plans for Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by MexM View Post

Awesome interview with Ewing regarding Nova, his trauma and some perspective in general to how he dealt with GOTG (having an interconnected structure instead of the usual "everthing falls apart" story). Pretty interesting, hope he continues to be the Space Guy at Marvel as he says, looks like he still has plans for Rich.
    Thinking on it collectively Rich does kind of feel like the "lead" of the book, or a co-lead with Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by MexM View Post

Thank you for posting this.

Al also mentions future plans which gives me hope that this title isn't cancelled.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thinking on it collectively Rich does kind of feel like the "lead" of the book, or a co-lead with Peter.
    Yeah, Peter's gone through some stuff with his otherworldly excursion and no longer perfectly fits the role of POV character, having become more of an outsider / disconnected from the rest (at least temporarily), while Nova is better positioned for that right now, which is a neat switch from the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, Peter's gone through some stuff with his otherworldly excursion and no longer perfectly fits the role of POV character, having become more of an outsider / disconnected from the rest (at least temporarily), while Nova is better positioned for that right now, which is a neat switch from the usual.
    I think Star-Lord, Gamora and Nova are supposed to be the three leads of this book. You can sort of see this when the Guardians fractured into two teams in the early issues of this book (Gamora led one team and Peter/Nova led the other team until Peter’s ‘death’, where Nova took over). Also, when the two teams merged later, the cover of issue 11 chose to focus on Nova, Star-Lord and Gamora.

I also think that Ewing is building towards a polyamorous relationship between the three of them. The hints are obvious if you reread this book back from issue 1. At this point, Ewing has already established the Peter-Gamora and Rich-Gamora romantic connections, as well as the fact that Peter is bisexual and open to polyamory. The only thing left is for Ewing to reveal that Nova is also bisexual and open to a romantic connection with Peter, and then we can get a polycule going. I’m thinking that this happens at the end of the Last Annihilation in issue 18.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    I also think that Ewing is building towards a polyamorous relationship between the three of them. The hints are obvious if you reread this book back from issue 1. At this point, Ewing has already established the Peter-Gamora and Rich-Gamora romantic connections, as well as the fact that Peter is bisexual and open to polyamory. The only thing left is for Ewing to reveal that Nova is also bisexual and open to a romantic connection with Peter, and then we can get a polycule going. I’m thinking that this happens at the end of the Last Annihilation in issue 18.
    I agree that it seems like that's what he WANTS to do, I'm just not sure if editorial will LET him do it. Revealing Star-Lord as some flavor of queer was already a big freaking deal for a character that is your typical cis-straight white leading male, so doing it to the other cis-straight white leading male of the team will surely be extra controversial. I would be here for it, but I can see editorial stepping in and drawing the line because they might think it's ''too much''. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being another Logan/Jean/Scott situation, where a polyamorous relationship is implied, but we never get to see the ''gay side'' of it explicitly.

Hmm...I dunno. I don't feel like it would fit Rich that much. It does kind of feel like something the older Gamora would be into but she was kind of a wild child.

Sure about Peter being bisexual? he wasn't on the LGBT special issue

Mighty Member

Hmm...I dunno. I don't feel like it would fit Rich that much. It does kind of feel like something the older Gamora would be into but she was kind of a wild child.
    I agree on that statement. The Guardian team is pretty much have a lot of LGBT heroes and that's pretty much tokenism if you do that on Nova.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    Sure about Peter being bisexual? he wasn't on the LGBT special issue
    He wasn't labelled as anything, but I think it's pretty clear Ewing did not write him as totally heterosexual on that particular issue where he was cuddling with a man and a woman on a bathtub, and they were basically portrayed as his conjugal family. As for the Pride book, not every queer character was there. Plus, it's possible the book was done before they even knew what Ewing was doing in GOTG. Ewing didn't even work on that one-shot, likely because he hadn't come out of the closet himself at that point and Marvel didn't know to invite him for something that was for openly queer creators.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I agree on that statement. The Guardian team is pretty much have a lot of LGBT heroes and that's pretty much tokenism if you do that on Nova.
    That... is not what tokenism means. Actually, it would be the opposite of tokenism.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-05-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    He wasn't labelled as anything, but I think it's pretty clear Ewing did not write him as totally heterosexual on that particular issue where he was cuddling with a man and a woman on a bathtub, and they were basically portrayed as his conjugal family. As for the Pride book, not every queer character was there. Plus, it's possible the book was done before they even knew what Ewing was doing in GOTG. Ewing didn't even work on that one-shot, likely because he hadn't come out of the closet himself at that point and Marvel didn't know to invite him for something that was for openly queer creators.
    I get Ewing's intentions but I'll be kind of shocked if it ever comes up in a meaningful way again. Maybe if he writes the team long enough but I think he'll have to stick with innuendo and implied stuff when writing Peter, because even what he did do wasn't as implicit as I feel like he probably could have been with another character. At least in my opinion.

Also, nice Venti avatar .

Astonishing Member

I get Ewing's intentions but I'll be kind of shocked if it ever comes up in a meaningful way again. Maybe if he writes the team long enough but I think he'll have to stick with innuendo and implied stuff when writing Peter, because even what he did do wasn't as implicit as I feel like he probably could have been with another character. At least in my opinion.
    The interesting thing is that Ewing isn't the first writer to try and out Quill as bisexual. After Ewing's issue came out Kris Anka revealed the character design for a male love interest that he and Chip Zdarsky were planning to introduce for Peter if their STAR-LORD series had lasted long enough to get to that point.

With that in mind, it raises the odds that Peter's bisexuality will be acknowledged in the future--but it would certainly be helped if Ewing gets a chance to address the topic more directly again. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The interesting thing is that Ewing isn't the first writer to try and out Quill as bisexual. After Ewing's issue came out Kris Anka revealed the character design for a male love interest that he and Chip Zdarsky were planning to introduce for Peter if their STAR-LORD series had lasted long enough to get to that point.

With that in mind, it raises the odds that Peter's bisexuality will be acknowledged in the future--but it would certainly be helped if Ewing gets a chance to address the topic more directly again. We'll see.
    I wonder if Zdarsky would have gotten away with something that direct.

I would prefer to see a good old fashioned love triangle between Rich, Gamora, and Peter. I'd like to see the conflict of two friends vying for Gamora's affections, and it becoming a competition that sometimes fractures the team. You'd have Team Nova with Quasar, Drax, Mantis and Super-Skull, and Team Star-Lord with Rocket, Groot, Phylla, Moondragon, and Not-varr.

Ultimately, Rich finds his way back to Namorita, Star-Lord finds another love interest, and the spurned Gamora REALLY turns into the most deadly woman in the universe.