Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Marvel: Brett Booth...

Me: Yes!

Marvel:...On covers

Me: Sigh.

Just open up the wallet and pay Booth to draw the book!
    What? he probably is really cheap

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, I was glad that Rainbow Rowell brought Doombot back since he sort of disappeared during the Doc Justice arc. I feel pretty sure that Ewing is not going to use a Doombot since I looks like they knew Doom would be freed up from his series. That's a shame really because Cantwell had a really interesting second arc in the works.
    Cantwell was starting to fall back on the Doom is a supervillain thing though.

Doom's moved on from that now. I hope we get to see the more three dimensional Doom who can be heroic as long as it meets his agenda Doom here, rather than land grabbing Eastern European Dictator Doom.

Not a full knock on the Cantwell series, I generally enjoyed it, I just felt it was a bit of a step backwards for Doom
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    His Ewing referencing Annihilation and having Richard Rider in a prominent role in cosmic affairs makes all my insides warm.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaeus View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm not super familiar with a lot of the characters here, but when did Wendell come back and how can he and Avril share the Quasar powers?
    Aren't there more than one pair of Quantum Bands -- potentially as many as 4 or 5, if you count the bands that were worn by the previous Protectors and lost to the Quantum Zone following Wendell's battle with them? If so, it wouldn't be too difficult for Wendell to get his hands on a pair. Or more correctly, for a writer to figure out a way for Wendell to get his hands on a pair. Only Wendell knows those bands are there, even if they exist only as quantum energy.

And since the Quantum Zone is supposed to be one of the primary sources of all potential energy in the known universe (some say it's the sole source of all potential energy, but that would be incorrect, since there are various forms of energy not covered by quantum energy, like mystical energy and psionic/astral energy, etc.), it should be possible for multiple individuals to be able to tap that energies of the QZ. It's not infinite, but pretty darn close.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-12-2021 at 07:53 PM.

Rich is like a walking PTSD moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    What? he probably is really cheap
    Cheaper than Juan Frigeri?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Cantwell was starting to fall back on the Doom is a supervillain thing though.

Doom's moved on from that now. I hope we get to see the more three dimensional Doom who can be heroic as long as it meets his agenda Doom here, rather than land grabbing Eastern European Dictator Doom.

Not a full knock on the Cantwell series, I generally enjoyed it, I just felt it was a bit of a step backwards for Doom
    I have to wonder if all writers are told they have to go back to a reset of things with Doom for the next writer. This was originally promoted as being an ongoing series and my theory is that somehow got changed during the pandemic. The series was doing well, even outselling Slott's Fantastic Four but it lost momentum when it took Marvel until October to bring it back. And maybe Tom B. figured, well that's enough of Doom being an anti-hero. I have to say it lasted longer than I thought, going back to Bendis with the guest shots in Invincible Iron Man and then the Infamous Iron Man solo. We still may see a bit more of antihero Doom in GOTG again.

I'm just curious to see how the GotG team(s) deals with Doctor Doom being a cosmic, universal scale mass murderer. It seems their mission statement would be to prosecute guys like Doom, not add him to the Board and invite him to the company picnic. Don't let me down, Ewing! Thread that needle with spider silk and stick the landing, will ya?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Ugh this thread sent me down a GotG/eBay rabbit hole last night. Within the next few days, the following trades will arrive at my door:

GotG By Jim Valentino Vol.'s 1-3
    GotG In The Year 300 Vol.'s 1-3
    Donny Cates Vol. 1-2
    Al Ewing Vol. 1

I thinking I should've just tracked down the single issue of the current run. Now I'm going to be torn between sticking with trades, and picking up #13 when it drops... :-/
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Question for those who read the Doom comic: how aware are the public of Doom killing an entire universe? I understand that anti-hero Doom would be weird from our perspective, but in-universe, if nobody but him knows about it, then him being on the Guardians makes marginally more sense.

Astonishing Member

That is a well-designed and illustrated page. Brett Booth can create exciting covers, but he does not have great storytelling skills. He's very 90s influenced with ability to draw pin ups, but not good at drawing characters in non pin-up situations. He has style, but little substance. Style is important, but an artist should know the basics as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm just curious to see how the GotG team(s) deals with Doctor Doom being a cosmic, universal scale mass murderer. It seems their mission statement would be to prosecute guys like Doom, not add him to the Board and invite him to the company picnic. Don't let me down, Ewing! Thread that needle with spider silk and stick the landing, will ya?
    Question for those who read the Doom comic: how aware are the public of Doom killing an entire universe? I understand that anti-hero Doom would be weird from our perspective, but in-universe, if nobody but him knows about it, then him being on the Guardians makes marginally more sense.
    I believe that Blue Marvel is the only one who knows what Doom did, and we don't know yet if he'll really be able to get the word out to everyone on Earth, let alone to the greater galactic community. Maybe Latveria's PR Department will quash any attempts.
    Last edited by Harpoon; 02-13-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Only Blue Marvel and Doctor Doom know about it from Earth's perspective. But since Reed Richards contacted Blue Marvel to track down and/or assist Doom, it's very likely that Reed Richards and the FF know about it, too. Reed Richards was also seen talking to Captain America, and since Reed and Adam Brashear are technically Avenger reservists, it's possible the Avengers files have been updated with details of the event. There's also the possibility that Adam talked to Monica Rambeau about the occurrence. He was understandably pissed at Doom, so I don't see Dr. Brashear staying quiet about it. And if Monica is as close to Carol Danvers as everyone claims, yep, safe bet Captain Marvel knows.

I guess the point here is that if you're of the mind that Blue Marvel said absolutely nothing about the matter, then Doom's secret is safe -- from a purely human perspective. It doesn't mean that anyone with cosmic awareness would be in the dark about it. Several upper tier cosmic types should know about it. That applies to Watchers, the Living Tribunal, Eon/Epoch or whomever the current entity in charge of the Protectors of the Universe happens to be and their avatars, and certainly any entity that keeps Eternity's and Death's confidences. Mephisto would know, too. The devil knows all sins. You really can't wipe out an entire reality and have it remain a secret.

All that said, I'm willing to bet the secret stays buried. Pretty sure Ewing doesn't want this to upset his neat little applecart.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-13-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Maybe Latveria's PR Department will quash any attempts.
    Doom and "impunity" go hand in hand. I don't think he cares if everyone knows. This is Marvel's version of "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody" without there being any real consequences. My hunch is that's how Ewing will play it. It's either that, or Ewing will retcon the ending in a way that Doom either doesn't annihilate everyone, or Blue Marvel grabs one of the other omnipotence granting devices on "good mirror" Doom's shelf, like say the Infinity Gauntlet, and reverses Doom's heinous act without Victor knowing it. Either way, can't wait to see how Ewing addresses it. If any writer can put a spin on it without it coming across as PIS, it's Ewing.