Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Has Norman been de-aged or is it just the art? Took me a couple of (confusing) pages to realise it wasn't Harry.
    It's just the art. Harry shouldn't be in the story right now. That's the only reason why I'm able to tell them apart.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    JMS was easily Aunt May at her most boring. She was just an MJ that Peter didn't have sex with. That's why people were ok with her dying.
    We know all the complaints if any woman gets fridged ( especially in Spider-Man). So sending her to Florida with no return is another way to remove her useless character from the book.

JMS was easily Aunt May at her most boring. She was just an MJ that Peter didn't have sex with. That's why people were ok with her dying.
    That's...a very interesting take on JMS' Aunt May.

Incredible Member

I can see what you mean but I am not sure I entirely agree. The best thing JMS did with Aunt May was her finding out Peter's secret. The problem with JMS' run was the trash that came as soon as JR JR left. It doesn't help that Civil War held the title back. There was no growth between Aunt May and Peter during that time. She questioned a few things when her and Peter went to see MJ on set of the Lobster Man movie. The next time May was useful was when she get Peter the pep talk before he revealed his ID on TV. Otherwise she does see boring but is that JMS' fault or the fault of the stories like Civil War and other editorial mandated stories?

As far as May since Brand New Day, I was actually glad that she paired up with Jameson Senior but super annoyed he was killed off. Total waste of a supporting character. Her work at FEAST also isn't a problem but she just comes off as useless. At this point she should just definitely learn Peter's secret again and progress the character somehow.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I can see what you mean but I am not sure I entirely agree. The best thing JMS did with Aunt May was her finding out Peter's secret. The problem with JMS' run was the trash that came as soon as JR JR left. It doesn't help that Civil War held the title back. There was no growth between Aunt May and Peter during that time. She questioned a few things when her and Peter went to see MJ on set of the Lobster Man movie. The next time May was useful was when she get Peter the pep talk before he revealed his ID on TV. Otherwise she does see boring but is that JMS' fault or the fault of the stories like Civil War and other editorial mandated stories?

As far as May since Brand New Day, I was actually glad that she paired up with Jameson Senior but super annoyed he was killed off. Total waste of a supporting character. Her work at FEAST also isn't a problem but she just comes off as useless. At this point she should just definitely learn Peter's secret again and progress the character somehow.
    Unless Marvel wants to de age Aunt May to Marisa Tomei I just do not see how to improve her. I say let her meet Theresa, and tell Peter she is moving to Florida and you can actually live in my home without a roommate.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Would people actually be that upset if Aunt May passed? Her not being there would add so much to the ongoing story than her staying around. I genuinely can’t imagine many people being that up in arms about it if was to ever happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Would people actually be that upset if Aunt May passed? Her not being there would add so much to the ongoing story than her staying around. I genuinely can’t imagine many people being that up in arms about it if was to ever happen.
    I certainly would not “Cry A River” if she died. But you have those who complain if women get killed in Spider-Man.

Incredible Member

It wouldn't bother me. Her death in Amazing 400 (before the retcon) was a really good and had a decent impact on all the characters involved. Her return in The Final Chapter was just cheap and stupid. On top of that, how the hell long was she living with Osborn and how come she never tried to reach out to Peter? That's beside the point. If she was written off by death, it wouldn't bother me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    It wouldn't bother me. Her death in Amazing 400 (before the retcon) was a really good and had a decent impact on all the characters involved.
    Her death in 400 is honestly the reason why I didn't mind that they brought her back since it felt like a dead character being revealed as gay. Having her say that she knew he was Spider-Man and was ok with it is exactly the thing that I hate about the MCU Aunt May. By trying to make her "fun", they're robbing us of seeing her character development and struggles.

While I can understand people considering her work at FEAST to just be a rip-off of when she was at the senior center, I never understood what the problem was with seeing a good person do good things.

Incredible Member

Her death in 400 is honestly the reason why I didn't mind that they brought her back since it felt like a dead character being revealed as gay. Having her say that she knew he was Spider-Man and was ok with it is exactly the thing that I hate about the MCU Aunt May. By trying to make her "fun", they're robbing us of seeing her character development and struggles.

While I can understand people considering her work at FEAST to just be a rip-off of when she was at the senior center, I never understood what the problem was with seeing a good person do good things.
    Her running FEAST is actually the best thing right now because it’s better than her being that frail old lady who has an episode when she sees a spider or Think a little rain storm means Peter is somewhere dying from hypothermia. Aunt May since BND has been the best except for the fact that she doesn’t know Peter’s secret.

Aunt May is at her best when what she does lets you see how Peter became Spider-Man thanks to her ongoing influence in his life *without* knowing he's Spider-Man or having anny involvement in that world.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Aunt May is at her best when what she does lets you see how Peter became Spider-Man thanks to her ongoing influence in his life *without* knowing he's Spider-Man or having anny involvement in that world.
    That's a respectable point. Not one I necessarily agree with, though I can respect it. Seriously, does Peter intend to let May go to her grave --- whenever that happens --- never knowing the full truth?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Has Norman been de-aged or is it just the art? Took me a couple of (confusing) pages to realise it wasn't Harry.
    That’s EXACTLY what I said in the preview thread. Norman has always been the muscular, built one and Harry the skinny, gangly one. Here, they look like they switched bodies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    We know all the complaints if any woman gets fridged ( especially in Spider-Man). So sending her to Florida with no return is another way to remove her useless character from the book.
    I miss the days when an emotional death of a female character wasn’t immediately condemned as “fridging” by online warriors. It seems like it’s only acceptable to kill male characters nowadays.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I miss the days when an emotional death of a female character wasn’t immediately condemned as “fridging” by online warriors. It seems like it’s only acceptable to kill male characters nowadays.
    I happen to agree with you ( especially because the most tragic deaths in Spider-Man were actually male ( Kid Who Collected Spider-Man and Billy Connors in Shed)). Why? While I understand Gwen, Jean etc at least they had a life. The young boys did not get that. I would also note that about half of the acknowledged greatest Spider-Man comics all dealt with death ( Including 3 of the four I mentioned ( Shed being the exception). But the reality is the vocal minorityÂ’s have their voices heard at the spider Office and they know it.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 02-12-2021 at 04:19 AM.