Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If we're to believe that Snyder filmed a half a dozen hours of footage he wanted to use (like everybody keep saying) then he cut and reduced scenes of white people too.

And like it or not, Cyborg IS the weak link in a Justice League movie.
    Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, these are all headliners. Cyborg has always been more a supporting guy or a team player at best. Likewise the actor was practically an unknown while the rest of them all have named actors behind them. If you're going to cut down on somebody, you're going to wanjt to cut down on the minor character played by a unknown actor.

Likewise if you were making a Avengers movie and had far too much footage, you'd cut Hawkeye or Black Widow long before you cut out Ironman and Captain America.

Race has nothing to do with that.
    We've heard of Flash scenes that were cut, too (Iris getting saved from a car accident), and I don't know about Aquaman but I assume so as well. Since Vic, Wally, and Arthur were all the new characters, it makes sense to me that you'd have the one scene that establishes who they are and why they're heroes (Vic and his father, Barry and his father, Aquaman and that one town) and then you focus on them in their team dynamic for the rest of the movie. I don't know if the extra scenes would have done anything to effect their team dynamic but from what I've read probably not. At any rate, their removal doesn't appear to have shortchanged the story much (not saying the story was good, but it wasn't hard to follow and nobody really had more of a character arc than the others)

EDIT: That being said, Fisher did accuse the Flash scene of being cut because Iris was a POC. I think it says as much about Snyder that he cast BIPOC in scenes and roles that could easily be cut as it does Whedon that he cut them.
    Last edited by Thezmage; 02-16-2021 at 12:48 PM.

I have little doubt that Joss Whedon is difficult to work for and Charisma is very specific in her allegations, some of which were probably worth a suit back in the day. I’m sure the statute of limitations has run out now, sadly for Charisma. Where there’s that much smoke, there’s fire, you know?

But what else has the guy done?

All the “allegations” from Trachtenberg and Momoa are not very specific at all.

As for Fisher, I don’t find him credible. Oddly, he seems to realize he’s burning down what little chance he has of a career. Repeating rumors, about discussions which he wasn’t present for and decisions not made in front of him, are potentially libelous, which he also seems to realize. Because of the nature of his allegations — things based on hearsay — no studio, producer or director is going to want to work with him again.

Other than the both damning yet vague statement from Michelle Trachtenberg has anyone said anything that paints Whedon as anything but an ******* boss. If so quit crying and move on with your life. Everyone has worked for an ******* boss as they exist in all professions. You can either let it continue to dominate your life or you can be glad you no longer work for that person. While many read Michelle's statement as some sort of inappropriate sexual thing it could also just be that he was an adult bullying a child like he bullied everyone so people around Michelle made sure that other adults would be there to protect her from the bullying. This is not a defense of Whedon as I'm fine with him being effectively cancelled from any future work but unless something comes out that shows he raped / touched / molested his female actresses then I'm really tired of these Hollywood stars complaining about bad bosses which is something that all of us regular people have had to deal with many times in our lives for far less money.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Other than the both damning yet vague statement from Michelle Trachtenberg has anyone said anything that paints Whedon as anything but an ******* boss. If so quit crying and move on with your life. Everyone has worked for an ******* boss as they exist in all professions. You can either let it continue to dominate your life or you can be glad you no longer work for that person. While many read Michelle's statement as some sort of inappropriate sexual thing it could also just be that he was an adult bullying a child like he bullied everyone so people around Michelle made sure that other adults would be there to protect her from the bullying. This is not a defense of Whedon as I'm fine with him being effectively cancelled from any future work but unless something comes out that shows he raped / touched / molested his female actresses then I'm really tired of these Hollywood stars complaining about bad bosses which is something that all of us regular people have had to deal with many times in our lives for far less money.
    Just a thought, but maybe we shouldn't tolerate abusive bosses regardless of how much one is paid? Just an idea.

Astonishing Member

I think talking about and them talking about might cause other people to come forward. That's the point--we shouldn't have to deal with abusive bosses. The statute of limitations has already passed but pregnancy discrimination was illegal even back then in California.

The things Charisma have specified could be litigated, years and years ago if she chose to pursue it. But you’re right about everything else. The allegations against Whedon are so non-specific, it’s tough to even understand what he supposedly did. Again, Fisher’s allegations are by his own admission hearsay about events he was not a party to; Fisher risks a libel suit, unless he has other evidence.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Just a thought, but maybe we shouldn't tolerate abusive bosses regardless of how much one is paid? Just an idea.
    Agreed. Nobody who casually treats their subordinates this way should be in a position of power.

And it shouldn't tolerated. A director doesn't need to be that much of an ******* to get good results.

There's being an ******* and there's delighting in others' misery. All of the stories paint him not as just an ******* boss but as somebody who actively used his position in order to hurt others

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I have little doubt that Joss Whedon is difficult to work for and Charisma is very specific in her allegations, some of which were probably worth a suit back in the day. I’m sure the statute of limitations has run out now, sadly for Charisma. Where there’s that much smoke, there’s fire, you know?

But what else has the guy done?

All the “allegations” from Trachtenberg and Momoa are not very specific at all.

As for Fisher, I don’t find him credible. Oddly, he seems to realize he’s burning down what little chance he has of a career. Repeating rumors, about discussions which he wasn’t present for and decisions not made in front of him, are potentially libelous, which he also seems to realize. Because of the nature of his allegations — things based on hearsay — no studio, producer or director is going to want to work with him again.
    I don't believe that just being vague is enough to get their claims dismissed or downplayed.

What makes Fisher less credible is his tendency to "drop" more posts whenever the Snydercut is in news, his contradicting statements that he doesn't care about the consequences but also can't say anything because of an NDA, and his even more incredibly bizarre in light of recent revelations comment about "protecting" Whedon when the real attacks should be against Johns and Hamada (who wasn't even there at the time). I don't believe it's a coincidence that his enemies all happen to be the Snydercut's enemies.

Honestly, I'm reminded of some of the political accusations that have been flying around. Without getting too much into American politics right now there have been incidents recently where a less than credible accusation will be brought out and either quietly die when the cracks are exposed or will lead to more people coming forward because the accused really has been abusing their power.

BANNED

Other than the both damning yet vague statement from Michelle Trachtenberg has anyone said anything that paints Whedon as anything but an ******* boss. If so quit crying and move on with your life. Everyone has worked for an ******* boss as they exist in all professions. You can either let it continue to dominate your life or you can be glad you no longer work for that person.
    interestingly, I don't take either course. A bad boss is different than an abusive boss, and I don't tolerate abusive bosses. I make sure their behavior is generally understood.

To an extent, I can get away with that because I'm a white male. Others don't have that privilege.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 02-16-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

There is a big difference between having to work for a bad boss and having to work for an abusive one in a toxic workplace. I speak from experience. I was an 18 year old gay kid in the closet who needed a job that had flexible hours to work with a college schedule. Even though I was in the closet, assumptions were made about my sexuality and I had to deal with name-calling (occasionally in front of customers), sexual comments, and the subject of graffiti in the men's room.

Some of the behaviors came from lower management, and when I asked for something to be done (perhaps repaint the men's room stalls) I was told "it will only happen again anyway".

I don't let it rule my every waking moment, but I remember being called a '**********' and hearing how I "take it up the ass". Telling someone to "get over it" isn't an option.

Leaving wasn't an option, I had college tuition and bills to pay, and needed the flexible hours. The behavior stopped when the location was shut down, and I was moved to another store.

Thankfully, times change. I now have a good career with a company that extends protections to their LGBT employees.

I completely understand why Charisma, Michelle, Amber, and others come forward, and I hope others continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed. Nobody who casually treats their subordinates this way should be in a position of power.

And it shouldn't tolerated. A director doesn't need to be that much of an ******* to get good results.
    People tend to forget that Joss Whedon was under a lot of pressure to perform. There was a moment where the man was writing for Buffy, Angel, and Firefly at the same time. These tv shows were his 'babies'. He doesn't want to see them get canceled. Actors can be assholes too. And when you are working sixteen-hour days on set, nice or not you're gonna snap on people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    People tend to forget that Joss Whedon was under a lot of pressure to perform.
    I'm under a lot of pressure to perform. I don't remember the last time worked less than a 60 hour week. I don't abuse people.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I think, given the context of what has been discussed and alleged, you should be given the opportunity to rephrase this horrifically insensitive comment.
    What the hell are you talking about? I was responding to a specific comment about how "it's a crime to be a jerk" and I was saying that being a jerk may not be illegal, but it's certainly grounds for being shunned or fired, which is the only context for my comment. Be specific if you want to accuse me of something.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-16-2021 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I'm under a lot of pressure to perform. I don't remember the last time worked less than a 60 hour week. I don't abuse people.
    You are abusing yourself by working more than 60 hours a week. Keep it up and you are gonna take it out on someone. Give it time.

All the actors had to worry about was the acting. Joss Whedon had to worry about everything else that could go wrong on that set, including the acting. While also dealing with the looming threat of cancellation every season. That kind of pressure takes its toll on you.

My question to Charisma Carpenter: Why would you allow yourself to get pregnant at a time when Joss was threatening to fire you on multiple occasions?
    Last edited by Common Writer; 02-17-2021 at 03:24 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    You are abusing yourself by working more than 60 hours a week. Keep it up and you are gonna take it out on someone. Give it time.

All the actors had to worry about was the acting. Joss Whedon had to worry about everything else that could go wrong on that set, including the acting. While also dealing with the looming threat of cancellation every season. That kind of pressure takes its toll on you.

My question to Charisma Carpenter: Why would you allow yourself to get pregnant at a time when Joss was threatening to fire you on multiple occasions?
    Ah, victim blaming. Never goes out of style!