Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It's kind of similar (though not as bad) as the Bill Cosby situation where Cosby set himself up as almost some kind of moral compass or moral judge only to have what he was doing in secret revealed;

So there's the hypocrisy factor on top of everything else.
    What is even more dumbassery, is that Cosby kicked Lisa Benet off the show because he was mad she showed her breasts in Angel Heart.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Also in Whedon's case, he spent like all of the 2000's and early 2010's as an untouchable feminist hero for Buffy.
    Which is weird, because it was the creepiest, most male gaze attempt at Feminism ever.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What is even more dumbassery, is that Cosby kicked Lisa Benet off the show because he was mad she showed her breasts in Angel Heart.
    That was not actually it. Cosby was not happy about the 'Angel Heart' sex scene but he was the one who actually encouraged Bonet to take that role so it was bit pointless for him to complain. Bonet continued in the series for several more years, was nearly fired after becoming pregnant, came back briefly and THEN was fired for 'creative differences'.
    At the standards of the time, Bonet being in 'Angel Heart' and posing topless in magazines was VERY controversial for someone who had major role in a big family friendly show. Also, what I gather, Bonet was kinda going off the rails, she was openly anti-vaxxer for example. So as much as I think Cosby is a scumbag of the highest order, I don't think the Bonet episode actually highcases it very well. Admittably I don't know what actually happened behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Which is weird, because it was the creepiest, most male gaze attempt at Feminism ever.
    No, not really. Buffy has remarkably little sexploitation which would have been the norm for this type of series just a decade earlier. Not much in the way of gratuitous shower scenes, main heroine fighting in a skimpy, strategically torn outfit or conducting negotiations while sunbathing. See also X-Files, where the network wanted a 'bombshell' female lead and struggled to understand that Chris Carter wanted Scully to be a character in stead of eye candy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Cosby lived his life in hypocrisy. funny that he talked down on many black men telling them to pull their pants up.

I think Cosby offended the wrong people so late in his life , he had gotten away with it for so long already.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-15-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I have to agree with Ikari here. I don't think BtVS really caters to the male gaze as much as other projects do. If anything, it caters to the female gaze far more often. Angel and Spike were the main sex appeal draws for the audiences at the time. With Angel it extends to his show.

David Boreanaz was cast because female writers who saw his read thought he was SUPER HOT and convinced Whedon to pick him...
    BtVS dialogue has quite a bit of sexual innuendo (always a Whedon trademark, which in todays atmosphere maybe doesn't work that well) but for the most part, characters are really not very soap-opera style sexually aggressive (except maybe Anya).

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    David Boreanaz was cast because female writers who saw his read thought he was SUPER HOT and convinced Whedon to pick him...
    BtVS dialogue has quite a bit of sexual innuendo (always a Whedon trademark, which in todays atmosphere maybe doesn't work that well) but for the most part, characters are really not very soap-opera style sexually aggressive (except maybe Anya).
    Yes I think Whedon knew from the start that the show had a stronger appeal to women and, as he joked himself, took any excuse to get Spike's shirt off and Boreanaz' until he started gaining weight.

There were jokes but surprisingly little exploitation of the female body. The few times it did happen (like an overhead wet cleavage shot in "Go Fish") were talked about a lot on Buffy boards because such things seldom happened as opposed to some female lead shows where that was all the time.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This, plus there apparently being a rule that he wasn't allowed alone in a room with a 15 year old actress.

If that means what a lot of us think it means, that's plenty illegal.

I'm assuming some are dismissing the claims against Whedon out of some annoyance of the Snyder Cut crowd and Ray Fisher, but at this point this is beyond that.
    I can accept that Whedon is an abusive ass AND Snyder is a hack incapable of making a film that isn't drowning in the worst of 90's grimdark. And even with my incredible distaste of Dark Snyder I think his cut will be better simply because there won't be 2 incompatible visions of the film crammed together into one whole that is much less than the sum of its' parts.

But Snyder seems to be leagues (no pun intended) better than Whedon as a human being.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Amy Acker has now tweeted.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I can accept that Whedon is an abusive ass AND Snyder is a hack incapable of making a film that isn't drowning in the worst of 90's grimdark. And even with my incredible distaste of Dark Snyder I think his cut will be better simply because there won't be 2 incompatible visions of the film crammed together into one whole that is much less than the sum of its' parts.

But Snyder seems to be leagues (no pun intended) better than Whedon as a human being.
    This is pretty much where I'm at. Fanboyism aside, Snyder seems like a considerably better person than Whedon

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is pretty much where I'm at. Fanboyism aside, Snyder seems like a considerably better person than Whedon
    A stranger occurrence , When Snyder left or was fired depending on the story you want to believe, Snyder suffered a tragic loss, his daughter had committed suicide, so he had to take time off to deal and heal from that. In the media or general geek fandom, I saw more tweets and cheer about how Whedon will save Justice League than support for Snyder going through a hard time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, not really. Buffy has remarkably little sexploitation which would have been the norm for this type of series just a decade earlier. Not much in the way of gratuitous shower scenes, main heroine fighting in a skimpy, strategically torn outfit or conducting negotiations while sunbathing. See also X-Files, where the network wanted a 'bombshell' female lead and struggled to understand that Chris Carter wanted Scully to be a character in stead of eye candy.
    Buffy is pretty tame now compared to the crap sexploitation we see on CW Riverdale.

Whedon may be a tool but he handled many of the teenage themes well. it's ironic that of all the characters, I hated how Xander lost his virginity the most and he is the guy.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

As a fan of BtVS and Angel, I'm sorry to hear that Joss was such a prick to people on these shows.

I'm glad to see the stars coming forward in support of Charisma, she was a fave of mine on both shows (as well as her three-episode stint on Charmed).

I may have missed it, there were a lot of posts here, but in case it wasn't mentioned, Eliza Dushku has also issued a statement in support of Charisma. If it was mentioned, sorry for the repost.

"I'm so sorry you have held this for so long. Your post was powerful, painful, and painted a picture we'll collectively never un-see or un-know. Thank you. I hadn't known it and I won't forget it,"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...is-for-so-long

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

WandaVision star Emma Caulfield, who played Anya Jenkins in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, has joined her former cast members in supporting Charisma Carpenter's statement about show creator Joss Whedon's toxic on-set behavior.

On Instagram, Caulfield posted an image of co-star Sarah Michelle Gellar's statement against Whedon, writing "In the wise words of my friend @sarahmgellar." Gellar wrote that, while she was proud to have played Buffy, she did not want to be affiliated with Whedon's name. "But I stand with all survivors of abuse and am proud of them for speaking out," she added.

https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-emma...don-statement/