Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The way I see it, there are two ways to go.

I can stop watching or reading any TV shows, movies, books, comics, etc. because the creator will eventually be revealed to be a scumbag in some way shape or form (because everyone is... some just never get caught).

Or, I can declare outrage bankruptcy, decide that other people's personal problems are their own business, and that my business is entertaining myself anyway I can.

I hereby choose the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Takes a special shitbird to persecute a pregnant actress on you little TV show. Not like Wheadon was a big studio head at the time either. Buffy wasn't ever a top 10 show, that's not to say if it was it would be justified but in that space, he was still a boss and he thought that's how he chose to run ****.

Shoutout to Ray Fisher, again. NOBODY in America gets the amount of unsolicited personal truth from management like a brotha.
    Don't underestimate how in demand Wheedon was at the time. Buffy may not have been a 'Top 10' show, but it was still very popular. He had three shows going on at this time (Buffy, Angel, and Firefly), and when those ended, he was very much in demand. So he probably felt like he could get away with anything, because lets face it- back then (and even until VERY recently), he COULD.

I'm not excusing his behavior. He's a grown ass adult and should be treating everyone with respect.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If the Buffy scandal is old news for you why did Disney hire Joss and fire James Gunn?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    If the Buffy scandal is old news for you why did Disney hire Joss and fire James Gunn?
    Probably because being a jerk on set isn't the same as pedophilia (even as a joke) for most people.

Enough people have spoken out to make it pretty damn clear: Whedon is a scumbag. I'll still enjoy Astonishing when I re-read it, I can separate the art from the artist, but I will not buy anything else with his name on it going forward. Assuming he still has a career of course.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The way I see it, there are two ways to go.

I can stop watching or reading any TV shows, movies, books, comics, etc. because the creator will eventually be revealed to be a scumbag in some way shape or form (because everyone is... some just never get caught).

Or, I can declare outrage bankruptcy, decide that other people's personal problems are their own business, and that my business is entertaining myself anyway I can.

I hereby choose the latter.
    Relax. The villagers aren't coming to burn your Dollhouse season 1 DVD box set.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Relax. The villagers aren't coming to burn your Dollhouse season 1 DVD box set.
    Not yet, but we'll get there eventually.

Not yet, but we'll get there eventually.
    Literally nobody here has even mentioned it not being okay to like the man's work. The conversation isn't about whether it's okay to still own that replica Firefly coat. It's about the people who were victimized.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The Buffy stuff happened before Social Media was really a thing, whereas the James Gunn tweets were out there publicly and people were combing through his Twitter just trying to find SOMETHING to use against him.

Yes, because that is EXACTLY what people are saying here. /sarc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Yes, because that is EXACTLY what people are saying here. /sarc.
    Someone is saying it here. Me.

I am sad to hear that Joss Whedon is a grade A Asshat. As a nerd and aspiring filmmaker, I really enjoyed his work Buffy, and of course him directing the first two Avengers films. But from these accounts he just sounds like a awful person and I stand with all those that have spoken out now on his trash behavior.

My question is, was he a trash bag while filming the first two Avengers movies? I find it hard to believe folks like Chris Evans ( who is pretty vocal about issues on social media) or Robert Downey, or Mark Ruffalo would stand by and say nothing about his abusive ways if they saw it on set. Maybe Joss hid his garbage persona around them but was awful to others? Only time will tell, but one thing is clear, Joss Whedon's career is done for.

Also, none of the main cast outside of Justice league outside of Ray fisher has said anything. I know Jason Momoa made a brief social media post saying he stood with Ray but the other like Ben Affleck, Gal Godot, Erza have been silent which is SUS.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 02-10-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I will still probably be able to watch BtVS and AtS (the 1.5 good idea Joss has had) still and separate the art from the artist. It will be difficult though, but it what will make it easier is that Joss didn't bring that series to life solo. It was a perfect storm of his ideas and a talented cast and writers room, directors, etc. who brought the ideas to life. A lot of my favorite Angel episodes aren't even written by him, Tim Minear wrote the best ones.

This news on Trachtenberg is VERY disturbing, but the women of Buffy uniting to take down Joss "Woke Bae" Whedon is very appropriate.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    My question is, was he a trash bag while filming the first two Avengers movies? I find it hard to believe folks like Chris Evans ( who is pretty vocal about issues on social media) or Robert Downey, or Mark Ruffalo would stand by and say nothing about his abusive ways if they saw it on set. Maybe Joss hid his garbage persona around them but was awful to others? Only time will tell, but one thing is clear, Joss Whedon's career is done for.
    Some times it comes down to who you are around or deal with. Along with how much power you actually have.
    Think of the STAR POWER on that Avengers movie. You are going to behave with those guys and the House of Mouse (as much as you can).

Now look at Warner Brothers. Aside from Mr. Jennifer Gardner-how many big names was in that movie? You had Aquaman who was famous for Baywatch and Stargate spinoff.
    Same with Buffy, Firefly and those other shows. Before Buffy Sara was famous for All My Children. He gave most of those folks careers.

I would say he hid it or they ignored it and chalked it up to other behavior that they may have dealt with on other shows and movies.

You really don't have to. This is really about industries ALLOWING this mess to keep festering along with fans who allow it to fester.

How do so many keep a job? Easy they bring in MONEY.

Lets say they yank everything Wheldon has done from tv and streaming. So he can't get syndication checks. How many projects are we talking? Yes that includes Toy Story and Alien Resurrection.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I remember reading about a lot of tension on the set of AoU, but at the time it sounded like that was caused more by studio interference, which stressed Joss out.

It could also be that, with a predominately male cast of alphas running around, Joss didn't have much room to be a dick to any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I will still probably be able to watch BtVS and AtS (the 1.5 good idea Joss has had) still and separate the art from the artist. It will be difficult though, but it what will make it easier is that Joss didn't bring that series to life solo. It was a perfect storm of his ideas and a talented cast and writers room, directors, etc. who brought the ideas to life. A lot of my favorite Angel episodes aren't even written by him, Tim Minear wrote the best ones.

This news on Trachtenberg is VERY disturbing, but the women of Buffy uniting to take down Joss "Woke Bae" Whedon is very appropriate.
    Add Amber Benson to the list of people claiming it was a toxic work environment.

I always felt at the time that Joss must have remained friendly with his actors, as he could usually call on them to come back for small cameos. I suppose in hindsight it's telling that the one person he didn't get back was Amber, who he had wanted to have play a Tara version of The First in Season 7 to taunt Willow before that character got changed to the goth chick who killed herself.