Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    the narrative that JK is transphobic is not concrete or facts. some of her fans think she is, others think she isnt. she made a comment that started a complex topic about gender and biological science. JK is what I will call controversial

I dont see JK taking of Fantastic Beast 3 script, fans still want HBO MAX Potter stuff. Joss's career is over at this point.
    In the case of JK, I don’t think she meant any real harm to anyone with her comments. It was her honest opinion that was maybe not expressed well or misunderstood. To my knowledge, she has never done anything hateful or abused anyone. She seems like she wants to Harry Potter and stuff to be inclusive for everyone in the fandom, sometimes going so far as to include new things or kinda retcon things in the lore ( much to fans mixed reactions). Like Dumbledore being gay, Hermoine potentially being black, and saying students at hogwarts practiced all religions ( saying some students were Christians and stuff due to some backlash).

I definitely think what Joss has done to folks is way worse.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I am sad to hear that Joss Whedon is a grade A Asshat. As a nerd and aspiring filmmaker, I really enjoyed his work Buffy, and of course him directing the first two Avengers films. But from these accounts he just sounds like a awful person and I stand with all those that have spoken out now on his trash behavior.

My question is, was he a trash bag while filming the first two Avengers movies? I find it hard to believe folks like Chris Evans ( who is pretty vocal about issues on social media) or Robert Downey, or Mark Ruffalo would stand by and say nothing about his abusive ways if they saw it on set. Maybe Joss hid his garbage persona around them but was awful to others? Only time will tell, but one thing is clear, Joss Whedon's career is done for.

Also, none of the main cast outside of Justice league outside of Ray fisher has said anything. I know Jason Momoa made a brief social media post saying he stood with Ray but the other like Ben Affleck, Gal Godot, Erza have been silent which is SUS.
    I assume Joss Whedon is not stupid.

Had he tried to **** with RDJ or SLJ or anybody of that ilk(which was most of the cast at that point-Hollywood veterans all) it would have been the end of him.

Notice that the dude complaining the most about Joss' JLA on set behavior is also the one guy he'd likely have no fear of messing with. The Black dude nobody's ever heard of before. Of course Whedon thought he could push HIM around.

It's one thing to bully tv actors who mostly are new to the game, it's another to try and harass capital M- Movie Stars with track records and studio support.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Rowling is too big to cancel, like Michael Jackson.

I'm not sure Whedon still had a career anyway. He hasn't made a movie since 2015 or a TV episode since 2013.

You know why people can be made to believe the most implausible conspiracy theories? Because someone as prominent as Joss Whedon could apparently be Satan incarnate on the set, and have that be a complete secret from his woke, feminist, hyper-social, hyper-online fan base for 20 years.

So when someone says "Do you know how many people would have to keep their mouths shut for so long to pull off a conspiracy like that?" you can tell them to go ask Bill Cosby or Jimmy Savile.
    The Whedon stuff didn't come from out of the blue though. The signs were there for a while. Rumors of Whedon treating Carpenter badly have been circling for years but she never corroborated them. Whedon's ex-wife and former producing partner also publicly stated in 2017 that Joss isn't who he pretends to be. The feminist act was always either a smoke screen or something Whedon lied to himself about to excuse his own behavior.

Guys like Cosby, Saville, Singer, Weinstein and R Kelly all had accusations or red flags surround their behavior to anyone who was willing to look. Most people don't want to believe it's true because hey like their work. Fans mistake enjoying someone's talent with knowing who they are as a person. None of us know who these people are behind closed doors.

Most people can only hide who they truly are for so long and people can only keep covering for them for so long.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I assume Joss Whedon is not stupid.

Had he tried to **** with RDJ or SLJ or anybody of that ilk(which was most of the cast at that point-Hollywood veterans all) it would have been the end of him.

Notice that the dude complaining the most about Joss' JLA on set behavior is also the one guy he'd likely have no fear of messing with. The Black dude nobody's ever heard of before. Of course Whedon thought he could push HIM around.

It's one thing to bully tv actors who mostly are new to the game, it's another to try and harass capital M- Movie Stars with track records and studio support.
    Also who knows the real reasons he left Marvel. There *may* have been incidents that got buried by both sides.

In the case of JK, I don’t think she meant any real harm to anyone with her comments. It was her honest opinion that was maybe not expressed well or misunderstood. To my knowledge, she has never done anything hateful or abused anyone. She seems like she wants to Harry Potter and stuff to be inclusive for everyone in the fandom, sometimes going so far as to include new things or kinda retcon things in the lore ( much to fans mixed reactions). Like Dumbledore being gay, Hermoine potentially being black, and saying students at hogwarts practiced all religions ( saying some students were Christians and stuff due to some backlash).

Rowling pushed discredited theories that have hurt many people who don't have the resources of even a low lever actor to fight back. I don't exactly think that comparing sins is a good thing but from a sheer amount of victims standpoint Rowling has him beat.

This Carpenter stuff might be more specific but we already knew this. The revelation to me is he was as ******* to alot of people. Instead of just a couple people. As far as his time at Marvel. He was working with too many big stars. Some of which had more pull then him I'm sure. Justice league who knows since Ray won't say anything. From everything we are hearing about Wheedon I'm betting the rumors of him being a tyrant on set and trash talking Snyders cut are what happened. If there was real abuse done to Ray an NDA wouldn't stop him. It's up to talent to say they won't work with Wheedon. Outside of a couple things that seem a bit iffy. Most of this doesn't sound like criminal abuse. Some of the Carpenter stuff and Slamming Marsters into a wall are all that I saw that could be criminal. I mean to the best of my knowledge, I'm no expert in abuse laws.

Anyway yea the stuff he did to Mrs Carpenter is enough for me to be completely fine with him never working in Hollywood again. There being an ashole and trashing Snyders cut to the faces of the people who made it.... but then there is calling a pregnant women fat and forcing her to work later actors and causing uneeded distress to her baby. Maybr Joss will have a different story but I find everything she said credible. We already knew Wheedon was a special kind of *******.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    It's up to talent to say they won't work with Wheedon.
    Whedon already got drop HIS Hbo show "The Nevers", I mean it was talk of rest or some other BS excuse but it was firing. So if he can't hold to a show he created he is pretty screwed moving forward into the future. Hollywood is weirdly forgiving so at some point future if he puts out a small project and its good, maybe talk about going to counseling, admit that he did some wrong and apologize to every he has hurt or some other pr move. He might get another chance but right now he is pretty done.

Her 'honest opinion' pushes discredited theories that translates to real danger to a minority group that is already heavily discriminated against. People can say/do harmful things in spite of their best intentions.

I am sad to hear that Joss Whedon is a grade A Asshat. As a nerd and aspiring filmmaker, I really enjoyed his work Buffy, and of course him directing the first two Avengers films. But from these accounts he just sounds like a awful person and I stand with all those that have spoken out now on his trash behavior.

My question is, was he a trash bag while filming the first two Avengers movies? I find it hard to believe folks like Chris Evans ( who is pretty vocal about issues on social media) or Robert Downey, or Mark Ruffalo would stand by and say nothing about his abusive ways if they saw it on set. Maybe Joss hid his garbage persona around them but was awful to others? Only time will tell, but one thing is clear, Joss Whedon's career is done for.

Also, none of the main cast outside of Justice league outside of Ray fisher has said anything. I know Jason Momoa made a brief social media post saying he stood with Ray but the other like Ben Affleck, Gal Godot, Erza have been silent which is SUS.
    Evans is not the type to speak out unless it's a Trump-level thing. Ruffalo is more outspoken but probably doesn't want to rock the boat. Scar Jo is a much bigger name and he can't mess with her like he did with other younger, less experienced actresses. Olsen was not a household name until Avengers but she doesn't strike me as someone whom Whedon could 'get away' with harassing. RDJr doesn't strike me as the guy who would go public but try to mend things in-houses.

I think in Avengers case, the 'Marvel Parliament' that oversees these movies; Fiege, Louis D'Esposito and all the other producers in that think-tank, probably had something to do with reigning in his worse tendencies.

I mean, this is a guy whose dubious predilictions are writ large in his stories.

Astonishing Member

Big difference IMO is he's too much of a coward to mess around with adults with some body of work. He likes to lord it over those who are on the younger inexperienced side. Buffy was the perfect environment for him to become a predatory sleeze bag. It's great that this type of garbage behavior is coming out for the public to see.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Oh, I have no doubt that Whedon's career is finished. (Not that it's been exactly vibrant in recent years anyway.) Yesterday was an Ides of March situation for him. He's poison now if he wasn't already. And any kind of apology at this point would just be "I'm sorry I got called on this stuff finally."

I'm not sure what he's going to do with the rest of his life, assuming he chooses to live it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Oh, I have no doubt that Whedon's career is finished. (Not that it's been exactly vibrant in recent years anyway.) Yesterday was an Ides of March situation for him. He's poison now if he wasn't already. And any kind of apology at this point would just be "I'm sorry I got called on this stuff finally."

I'm not sure what he's going to do with the rest of his life, assuming he chooses to live it.
    Goodness, that's grim.

He'll just fade into the background, get by on residuals and low key consulting until enough time has passed, then return, apologize and life goes on (sadly)

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

He might be able to do writing, script doctoring and other stuff that doesn't involve being on a set or interacting with people he has authority over.

He's exiled from social media forever, though. (And honestly, ALL celebrities should avoid social media like a maskless cougher... it has nothing but downside.) And he'll never direct another film or run another TV show.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I mean, this is a guy whose dubious predilictions are writ large in his stories.
    Yep. He's never written POC that consistently well. Gunn was doing the heavy lifting for diversity for most of the Buffyverse. The First Slayer's story, for example, is pretty...problematic. Spike calling Nicki Wood, one of his victims, a bad mother for not quitting her Slayerhood to live for her child and the narrative not being clear if we're meant to take Spike's side. While he also appropriates her coat as a trophy.

There is also Angel dating an underage girl (still a Bangel shipper and like them better post-break up when she's an adult, but I'd change that in a heart beat if I could), Cordelia being the victim of like 3 goddman demonic pregnancies, fridging the four main ladies in Angel, the Buffy/Spike affair and the fallout (or lack thereof) of the attempted rape. It's...not great.