Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Maggie was stealth confirmed as a mutant. That was the biggest takeaway I got from this issue

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Though in general. Shhhh. Don't tell them that all their fancy new "mutant + *word*" stuff is just combining their build in random super power with something else, which isn't in any way unique or exceptional in the Marvel Universe. Especialy since their base example for "mutant technology" was just a bigger guy throwing a small guy around.
    Well that's certainly not how the data page described it. It's the combination of Colossus and Wolverine's mutant powers, not simply the movement. Same with other synergies.

The difference between mutant magic and human magic (such as Wanda currently does) also has been explained in this same issue, as well as the ritualistic elements of mutant magic in past issues

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Isn't the difference between the two that "mutant magic" is just combining their super powers with magic (Scarlet Witch says hi), while mutant technology is basicly to just synergize different super powers?

Like "mutang magic" is combining super power A with super power B, while "mutant technology" is combing super power A1 with super power A2.

Though in general. Shhhh. Don't tell them that all their fancy new "mutant + *word*" stuff is just combining their build in random super power with something else, which isn't in any way unique or exceptional in the Marvel Universe. Especialy since their base example for "mutant technology" was just a bigger guy throwing a small guy around.

Let them have their fun while it lasts.
    Using a wooden pole to pry up a heavy object is technically technology.

It is bad.
    The same reasons as always. Won`t bother to write them again.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

I cannot read this book any more.

Mighty Member

Betsy is the image that’s floating around. Morgan is in Betsy’s body (third, fourth, fifth? I’ve lost count). I can’t imagine Tini writing Betsy is now in Kwannon’s body as a tag along. Just get her back to her body and sort their **** out already.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I found this to be one of the best issues so far and really benefitting from a linear story and single focus. I like how Tini has built up a few mysteries and I'm curious to see how she'll handle the pay-off.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Oh and I don't think 616 Betsy ended up in Kwannon's body, my theory is that she still hasn't returned from Queen Elizabeth's reality. The fake Betsy I believe is Morgan possessing Betsy's Jamie-created body, as we were conveniently reminded she was still Jamie's prisoner right this issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Using a wooden pole to pry up a heavy object is technically technology.
    Indeed, which is also why i consider it as not as impressive or unique as they may want it to sound. It's just mystifying common elements of the super natural physique as it exists in the Marvel Universe since it's inception.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Well that's certainly not how the data page described it. It's the combination of Colossus and Wolverine's mutant powers, not simply the movement. Same with other synergies.
    That doesn't make much sense as the move does not require Wolverine's powers to work. It's a singular action performed with another person as "passive object" being thrown. That's like declaring it "mutant technology" if Pixie creates one of her dust clouds and Loa pushes a person in it for it to take effect, just because it involves two mutants.

Hulk can do the Fastball Special with Wolverine, just as much as Collosus could do it with Captain America. It's not something uniquely "mutant" and using it as example of "mutant technology" just sounds like the writer trying to make something from X-men history more special by applying a fancy term to "big guy throws little guy".

You know, this comic has been improving a lot since X of Swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    I think I finally get the mutant magic set up. I think they are trying to say that all mutants thanks to the X gene are also innately magical beings. By themselves this magic is almost non existent but when around other mutants they can use that innate magic to power up their mutations.

My guess is that the secret history of the mutants magic is the power to use that innate magic within them to do basic spells for defense or resurrections. This would allow even the weakest of mutants to have a way to defend themselves.

My guess is that omega level mutants are the ones who are able to tap into their innate magic within themselves with no help making them have no upper limit to their powers. No different than Doc Strange pulling power from a magical object or another plane. They most likely are doing this with out even thinking about it believing that it is just another part of their mutant abilities.

I might be wrong but just a guess.
    Just saying though there are baseline humans who are born with magic from birth and don’t need to pull magical energy from other dimensions. Though I see mutant magic as more being able to the mystical energy intwined with what their powers control. Rector appears to use more earth based magic since his X-gene is geokinesis
    Last edited by Covetous_One; 02-10-2021 at 01:51 PM.

This issue was ok, but it still suffered from Howard's typical sloppy storytelling. Once again an issue starts with a jump forward so we don't see how the Lighthouse confrontation with Marianna was settled. We don't see the teams initial reaction to Betsy's return. I don't need everything spelled out, but you can't just do this every other issue.

Also, -[A]- leaving everything to Rictor as his sole apprentice? You mean having lived thousands of years and putting all this into place for centuries and it all goes to Rictor, who has about a few hours of experience in magics? Didn't have any one else he worked with in all that time??

But also I guess Maggie is confirmed a mutant and can pass through the gates? Also, can we stop treating Meggan like a she's braindead and can't keep track of anything or succeed in life on her own?

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was probably one of the best written issues of Excalibur. That said, the plot was a bit predictable. I really don't love this wizard role for Rictor, but he isn't being badly written, so I suppose I'll get over it eventually (preferably when it's all dropped by the next writer to use him). Also Rictor's "connection to Krakoa" mentioned in the data page has not been established at all in the actual book, he's barely even been on Krakoa. It's an interesting concept though, much more so than making him the magic guy. I love To's art, but Rogue's costume needs the belt, that bit of asymmetry makes the costume better.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Saturnyne gets a message that Krakoa/Quiet Council/Excalibur team want a meeting with her but she denies it because they do not have a Captain Britain to represent them.

Rachel and Rogue discuss Betsy. She sounds like Betsy and acts like Betsy. Rachel states she just needs some time BUT also Rachel gives Rogue some psychic powers to absorb.

Emma shows up unexpectedly because Excalibur has been hiding that they have Betsy back. Emma states that she has responsibilities that she has to take care of just like all other leadership.

Emma tries to chat with ‘Betsy’ but ‘Betsy’ stops the psychic connection and walks off. At first we think she doesn’t want to be bothered but we find out more later on.

The team is having dinner and ‘Betsy’ is still being distant and quiet.

Maggie shows up through one of the gateways. So this kind of low key tells us Maggie is a mutant. She goes to get Brian through the gate. But ‘Betsy” says dammit! And runs off.

Brian is upset no one told him they found ‘Betsy’ BUT Rogue tells him they didn’t tell anyone because they don’t know if it’s really her. And that she's acting different.

Jamie tells Gambit he hasn’t seen Betsy and that he didn’t make any Betsy. BUT someone did make a Betsy for him. Just in case Betsy needed a body to go into.

He goes to show Gambit the body and naughty naughty. The body is gone.

Brian who was controlled by Betsy possibly took the body.

She is about to stab Rogue but Kwannon shows up and says they are too loud and that they are right. That is not Betsy. And they need a strong psychic like her around as back up.

We really don't know what's going on with Betsy. Are there multiple's. Is she a psychic presence just hovering about Krakoa. As Slacker teased from the upcoming solicitations. Is she hiding in Kwannon's body? (Gahd I think that would be horrible). So we shall.

I interpreted it as the Betsy that washed up ashore WAS the missing clone/body. Like it was activated or activated itself and is now running amok. I guess time will tell.

I am glad that the artist depicted Emma with her hair in a bun so we could clearly visually distinguish between her and Saturnyne.

After the third reading. I also agree. She doesn't know how to write Rogue or Gambit well.