Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Excalibur [18]: Mad Women Spoilers

Saturnyne gets a message that Krakoa/Quiet Council/Excalibur team want a meeting with her but she denies it because they do not have a Captain Britain to represent them.

Rachel and Rogue discuss Betsy. She sounds like Betsy and acts like Betsy. Rachel states she just needs some time BUT also Rachel gives Rogue some psychic powers to absorb.

Emma shows up unexpectedly because Excalibur has been hiding that they have Betsy back. Emma states that she has responsibilities that she has to take care of just like all other leadership.

Emma tries to chat with ‘Betsy’ but ‘Betsy’ stops the psychic connection and walks off. At first we think she doesn’t want to be bothered but we find out more later on.

The team is having dinner and ‘Betsy’ is still being distant and quiet.

Maggie shows up through one of the gateways. So this kind of low key tells us Maggie is a mutant. She goes to get Brian through the gate. But ‘Betsy” says dammit! And runs off.

Brian is upset no one told him they found ‘Betsy’ BUT Rogue tells him they didn’t tell anyone because they don’t know if it’s really her. And that she's acting different.

He says he needs time to think and Rogue leaves. We see ‘Betsy’ in the background and she puts him to sleep then psychically controls him through a gateway to go to Avalon.

‘Betsy’ wakes up Rogue by saying “TAG! You’re it”

She pulling some shenanigans.

Rogue and Rictor go to find Betsy and Gambit goes to Avalon to speak to Monarch.

Jamie tells Gambit he hasn’t seen Betsy and that he didn’t make any Betsy. BUT someone did make a Betsy for him. Just in case Betsy needed a body to go into.

He goes to show Gambit the body and naughty naughty. The body is gone.

Brian who was controlled by Betsy possibly took the body.

Also we see Morgan La Fey is still being held prisoner.

Rictor goes to the grove and finds that Apoc left a will that leaves him everything.

Rictor and Rogue discuss that Betsy needs a beacon to find a way home and whats better than a lighthouse for that.

‘Betsy' shows up and attacks both Rictor and Rogue. She has the psyknife and sword.

She is about to stab Rogue but Kwannon shows up and says they are too loud and that they are right. That is not Betsy. And they need a strong psychic like her around as back up.

We really don't know what's going on with Betsy. Are there multiple's. Is she a psychic presence just hovering about Krakoa. As Slacker teased from the upcoming solicitations. Is she hiding in Kwannon's body? (Gahd I think that would be horrible). So we shall.

Mysteries Mysteries Questions Questions

I thought this issue was not bad. I appreciate that Tini is making this sort of a mystery. But also I don't want the interaction between our Betsy and Kwannon to end up being like a couple of panels. Since we've been waiting since 2018 to get something between them two.

Obviously, Marcus To's art is great. I just wish we got a break from his art for an arc. I want to see what someone else can do with Excalibur.

I don't get why Jubilee is on the team. Gambit and Rogue do stuff. And I like how she handles Brian and Jamie.

What did you guys think of this issue.
    Last edited by CGAR; 02-10-2021 at 11:44 AM.

I liked this issue still don't get when Apoc & Rector got so close like mentor mentee I wish that storyline had got a little more shine, but at least the whole mutant magic concept is finally getting clear exposition the Five were a solid explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I liked this issue still don't get when Apoc & Rector got so close like mentor mentee I wish that storyline had got a little more shine, but at least the whole mutant magic concept is finally getting clear exposition the Five were a solid explanation.
    Agreed. Even though others have said it was obvious. This is the first time it's explicitly stated. And I don't understand why she didn't just write this in the initial arc. But anyways.

I like the irony that what Rictor calls "mutant magic" and what SWORD calls "mutant technology" are basically the same.

Astonishing Member

Morgan is in Betsy's body and our betsy is software right

Great issue. Tini is keeping me guessing about what's going on with "Betsy" and I enjoy that. Plus my dude is the magic king now and I look forward to that being fleshed out more. Maggie is the coolest little mutant.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Morgan is in Betsy's body and our betsy is software right
    Yep, I’m betting that’s Morgan.

BANNED

I wonder who sent Kwannon.

Did Betsy reach out to her? Rachel or Emma?

I think I finally get the mutant magic set up. I think they are trying to say that all mutants thanks to the X gene are also innately magical beings. By themselves this magic is almost non existent but when around other mutants they can use that innate magic to power up their mutations.

My guess is that the secret history of the mutants magic is the power to use that innate magic within them to do basic spells for defense or resurrections. This would allow even the weakest of mutants to have a way to defend themselves.

My guess is that omega level mutants are the ones who are able to tap into their innate magic within themselves with no help making them have no upper limit to their powers. No different than Doc Strange pulling power from a magical object or another plane. They most likely are doing this with out even thinking about it believing that it is just another part of their mutant abilities.

I might be wrong but just a guess.

I think this was Tini's best issue so far and it helped that it was more contained. Both in plot and setting. Less scattered scenes and a more even progression from scenes when they did move.

It was also that issue that finally convinced me that she can't write Gambit. Now we have had enough attempts on longer scenes and her Gambit just lacks the things that are essential for Gambit. Where is his charm? Where is his silver tongue? His wit? His strategy for whatever situation he is in? He's just being shuffled into scene after scene and at best he reacts to what happens. I could go on. The big question is who is the worst Gambit writer through the ages: Tini or Milligan? That is the level we now are on. A very sad level.

Will future writers continue with this very urgent and deep friendship that Rogue and Betsy have developed? It sure seems very valuable for Rogue.

It is a shame that maybe it isn't her because for she was the best of both pre and post bodyswaps Betsy since a long time: sneaky, butterfly, controling minds, psychic knfire, daggers, sword AND fighting.

Overall good issue. I'm glad we're focusing on her and Kwannon for the next two issues. And also very glad Rogue and Rictor got more to do, think and say.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I like the irony that what Rictor calls "mutant magic" and what SWORD calls "mutant technology" are basically the same.
    Isn't the difference between the two that "mutant magic" is just combining their super powers with magic (Scarlet Witch says hi), while mutant technology is basicly to just synergize different super powers?

Like "mutang magic" is combining super power A with super power B, while "mutant technology" is combing super power A1 with super power A2.

Though in general. Shhhh. Don't tell them that all their fancy new "mutant + *word*" stuff is just combining their build in random super power with something else, which isn't in any way unique or exceptional in the Marvel Universe. Especialy since their base example for "mutant technology" was just a bigger guy throwing a small guy around.

Let them have their fun while it lasts.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-10-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Isn't the difference between the two that "mutant magic" is just combining their super powers with magic (Scarlet Witch says hi), while mutant technology is basicly to just synergize different super powers?

Like "mutang magic" is combining super power A with super power B, while "mutant technology" is combing super power A1 with super power A2.

Though in general. Shhhh. Don't tell them that all their fancy new "mutant + *word*" stuff is just combining their build in random super power with something else, which isn't in any way unique or exceptional in the Marvel Universe. Especialy since their base example for "mutant technology" was just a bigger guy throwing a small guy around.

Let them have their fun while it lasts.
    See that's the thing I think the explanation is that let's say colossus throws a rock that is exactly the same size and density as Logan I don't think it would go that far because the rock isn't a mutant, but since Logan is it makes the throw more powerful than it would be normally

“How ironic this outcome will be with Kwannon helping Betsy to return to her original body! It was the end of the story that you want to continue“

I can see this being true. Quote from Twitter.

Maybe what happened is that Morgan took Betsy's empty body, then when Betsy came back she went (yet again) to Kwannon's body. Kwannon is trapped isnide Morgan's body or she and Betsy are sharing it.

Then next issue they'll sort it out with mutant magic, while both ladies resolving their issues, and it's when Betsy gets the butterfly again.

And then in April's issue they have to deal with Morgan (the mysterious presence on Krakoa)? Just speculating here.
    A picture would last longer darling...