Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I’m curious how you came to this conclusion, care to expand?
    Wasn't it in his big speech at the end of HoXPoX? He literally says that mutants will replace humans.

I didn't pick this up this week. So how exactly did it end? And is there anymore detail on those 3 attacks/events/whatever that are being blamed on Krakoa? Like, was it the same boat QQ was on earlier?

BANNED

Yes, mutants replacing humans is the idea. That's the data that Orchis has, sure, but that is Poccy/Mags/Moira/Xavier's intention as well. It's supposed to be a natural thing and not "we kill all the humans", but still. In the back of their minds, the mutants expect to supercede humans with no X-gene and inherit the Earth while making things nice for non-X-gene humans as it happens.

Of course, Poccy, Mags, Xavier, and Moira know it gets more complicated than that with the rise of robo-humans, but none of the rest of mutancy knows that yet.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I don’t know where you got “Mutants replace humans,” but a lot of your other points are spot on. Krakoa is kinda a mess BUT how else are we gonna get books with tension?
    well as per most recent X-Force the fact that Beast even considers the option in 'extreme circumstances' to put mind control organics into the medicines they give humans ,shows Krakoa though not publicly stating it has the potential and at least in Beast's mind(and hopefully only him) ambition for world domination and if the likes of beast or Magneto have sway massive culling would follow.If mind control is being considered ,you can bet sterilisation by the same route is on the books

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post

Technically, mutants outnumbering humans is already going to happen in two generations or two decades, so most of the plan with Krakoa is just to use it as an ever-renewable resource to protect and maintain mutant society in the face of mutantkind's many enemies and wait for humankind to do itself in out of sheer smallminded, shortsighted pettiness. Still, I see your point about the leadership of Krakoa being just as shortsighted and smallminded in its own way.
    Shh don't let facts get in the way of good story

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I actually really liked this issue probably the best issue in months lol

Percy has a good handle on QQ's voice and this is about as sympathetic as the character is gonna get I bet. Also is this the first time QQ has had an official superhero costume?
    I agree. 100 per cent.
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

I loved this issue, I'm a fan of QQ's so it was nice seeing him get some development and shine. The relationship with Phoebe is cute too, I wasn't into it at first considering his history with Sophie but I'm glad that was touched on.

Mighty Member

I don't like Quentin but this issue art is as good as ever. The 'Glob costume' too much pee pee was hilarious.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Will this issue finally get readers to understand Quintin more and maybe even like him? On this board he is hated quite a bit. I think it is redemption time and let go of the hate.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Will this issue finally get readers to understand Quintin more and maybe even like him? On this board he is hated quite a bit. I think it is redemption time and let go of the hate.
    I don't hate the character, i just don't get the appeal or understand what all these writers are seeing in him that they put him on teams over and over. Which also never seems to achieve anything for him, as they are essentialy moving in a circle.

It's the same reason i'm utterly bored with Fantomex.

So every time he appears in stories and get's put into focus, it feels to me like pannel time is wasted on him, that could have been used to explore or build up other characters, which could be argued to be more interesting. Especialy since the character had many chances to be explored or expanded, but nothing in this regard is ever seemingly achieved.

The fact that this storyline is basicly made to make readers understand and like him, makes me wonder what all his previous appearances were supposed to be good for if the writer still thinks that step 1 to make the character appealing has not been reached yet?

It's like there is a group of likely minded people and they all talk about that one great story they heared, so you step in and ask what they are laughing about. While one starts retelling the story, the other stand there chuckling and grinning, waiting for you to have the same reaction as they do.
    But once the story is done and you find it utterly boring or stupid, they are left confused at you not getting the greatness of it and then start retelling the story again in the hope that this time you get it.
    And it's not like you don't like the other stories they tell you, but this one, you just don't get and are confused at it's appeal.

That's what writers putting Quentin Quire or Fantomex on teams and into focus of stories feels like to me.

Now the thing is, i know the character has fans, so it's not entirely unreasonable in my opinion that he gets appearances in books, regardless of my own feelings, but their visible number feels pretty small, especialy compared to the number of people openly disliking him.
    So there is this percieved dissonance, between how often he gets stories or appearances and how many people actualy want or enjoy seeing him. Though sales data can't really provide an answer just how much the character is helping or harming sales of the books he is staring in, so i can't back this claim up with evidence.

So bottom line. I don't hate the character, but this story is not making him any more interesting to me than any of the previous attempts and at worst it just feels like another story wasted on a character who might more profit from being absent for a while. But again, that's just my personal bias.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-11-2021 at 06:58 AM.

I gotta say, this was a great issue. Prior to HOXPOX, I never cared for Quentin at all. Now I like him. The only thing I didn’t like this issue is that they tried to insinuate he had pink hair at birth when he was shown to have brown originally. I love the costume but I hate the energy glasses...

I really enjoyed this, it was great to see some focus on Phoebe and Quentin's relationship. I especially enjoyed the bit with Quentin's rejected costumes, good times!

I've always liked Kid Omega, he's like a bratty nephew who does the wrong thing 86% of the time and I feel like the drab uncle thinking "told ya so" at every interval. I enjoy his rascally hijinks.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I don't hate the character, i just don't get the appeal or understand what all these writers are seeing in him that they put him on teams over and over. Which also never seems to achieve anything for him, as they are essentialy moving in a circle.

It's the same reason i'm utterly bored with Fantomex.

So every time he appears in stories and get's put into focus, it feels to me like pannel time is wasted on him, that could have been used to explore or build up other characters, which could be argued to be more interesting. Especialy since the character had many chances to be explored or expanded, but nothing in this regard is ever seemingly achieved.

The fact that this storyline is basicly made to make readers understand and like him, makes me wonder what all his previous appearances were supposed to be good for if the writer still thinks that step 1 to make the character appealing has not been reached yet?

It's like there is a group of likely minded people and they all talk about that one great story they heared, so you step in and ask what they are laughing about. While one starts retelling the story, the other stand there chuckling and grinning, waiting for you to have the same reaction as they do.
    But once the story is done and you find it utterly boring or stupid, they are left confused at you not getting the greatness of it and then start retelling the story again in the hope that this time you get it.
    And it's not like you don't like the other stories they tell you, but this one, you just don't get and are confused at it's appeal.

That's what writers putting Quentin Quire or Fantomex on teams and into focus of stories feels like to me.

Now the thing is, i know the character has fans, so it's not entirely unreasonable in my opinion that he gets appearances in books, regardless of my own feelings, but their visible number feels pretty small, especialy compared to the number of people openly disliking him.
    So there is this percieved dissonance, between how often he gets stories or appearances and how many people actualy want or enjoy seeing him. Though sales data can't really provide an answer just how much the character is helping or harming sales of the books he is staring in, so i can't back this claim up with evidence.

So bottom line. I don't hate the character, but this story is not making him any more interesting to me than any of the previous attempts and at worst it just feels like another story wasted on a character who might more profit from being absent for a while. But again, that's just my personal bias.
    I feel your perception of this, I guess it's his whole 'rebel' shtick ,it's sort of his thing , but for me it's counterintuitive.If Krakoa was not there , he would have more of a cause , standing for his 'counterculture' narrative but now that Krakoa is a nation ,with a language,culture ,people an identity, he seems out of step with everyone else. At least to me , I would rather they grow the Xforce team to focus on other members.For a team to only concentrate incessantly on Wolverine,Kid and Domino is atrocious especially since Logan has his own book.

BANNED

I can see the quality of this book being somewhat average nowadays but this book has 8 flagship members and aside from Sage I hardly remember other members not getting opportunities in this book. Not to mention it has other characters which were also well written(Storm, Forge, Magik vice versa)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I feel your perception of this, I guess it's his whole 'rebel' shtick ,it's sort of his thing , but for me it's counterintuitive.If Krakoa was not there , he would have more of a cause , standing for his 'counterculture' narrative but now that Krakoa is a nation ,with a language,culture ,people an identity, he seems out of step with everyone else. At least to me , I would rather they grow the Xforce team to focus on other members.For a team to only concentrate incessantly on Wolverine,Kid and Domino is atrocious especially since Logan has his own book.
    The book focus on a lot of characters, this i something peple can't complain about this book: colossus, QQ, Domino, Logan, Beast, some spotlight on Forge and Jean had a decent page time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Shh don't let facts get in the way of good story
    That isn't a fact

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I’m curious how you came to this conclusion, care to expand?
    The mutants want to replace humans or that Orchis is right?

On hoxpox the battle is to be the dominant species on earth, humans won because they stall mutants with robots while doing DNA improvements on theirselves. The Krakoa plan is win the war, firt step is getting a country and using drugas as leverage. en using economical power to opress humans as magneto told in the internatina meeting

About Orchis, humans having plans in case mutants go rogue isnt wrong ince Krakoa has some of the worst mutants on it. What is wrong is torture mutants for experiments
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-11-2021 at 08:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I gotta say, this was a great issue. Prior to HOXPOX, I never cared for Quentin at all. Now I like him. The only thing I didn’t like this issue is that they tried to insinuate he had pink hair at birth when he was shown to have brown originally. I love the costume but I hate the energy glasses...
    The pink hair could be easily chalked up as being the result of his self perception and how it affects him reflecting on his memories.

Human memories are allready a work of fiction, as they are going through their senses, perception and reflection before being stored in this filtered state and everytime they are called up they once again go through the filter of reflection.
    The art in his issue even makes it clear that we aren't seeing into the past from a "omni-present narrator" perspective, but seeing things from his mind, when he reflects on his childhood.

So considering how he might identify primarily with the appearance he gave himself, it could have easily warped the memories of his childhood to the point where he believes he has always looked like that by default.

In addition to that Quentin has been put through death and replication a lot in relative short time, something that is now actual part of his arc in this series, which could have easily further damaged his ability to filter through his memories.
    Just like how copying an image from the previous copy over and over can deform it into something different.

If this rapid process continues he might even start to remember himself beating Avengers by his lonesome, when it was actualy just a bunch of cosplayers he got into an argument with.