Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Malvolio is from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. I change my avatar every hundred posts or so, so don't read anything into that. But I like the name Malvolio so much that I use it in a few other places on the internet, too. I even used it as the name of a character in a few short stories I've written.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Do tell! What was it like to ring in the 20th century?
    Too much tech-knowl-gee. And my poor Horse-Taxi business went under almost immediately because some wipper-snapper called "Ford" made those dang auto-mobiles so dang easy to make and cheap to buy!

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I belong to a few different forums, and have this username on them as well, and have found out that there is a horror movie in that title, so some people assume that's where it comes from. Until recently, I had never heard of this movie. LOL

I came up with the name when I was living at home with my parents and brothers. My bedroom was in the attic, however, it was on the small side. Because of that, my CDs, DVDs, TV, radio and computer were all in the cellar. It worked well specifically in the summer months, when the attic was blazing hot.

End result, I spent a lot of time in the cellar, so I became CellarDweller.

As for my avatar, I have always liked the Wonder Twins as characters, so on a comic book forum, it seemed logical to have them as my avatar. My original one was a pic of them from the Super Friends cartoon. The current one is how they currently look after their Wonder comics reboot.

BANNED

It's in some instances how I would describe my predominate and most constant inner emotional experiences or accounts; as some type of "risingforce" also, it is somewhat of a perversion and joke that I imagine would not be all that difficult to surmise as to the exact origins or meaning to be.

Retired

When this board was rebooted, I was led to believe that the moderators wanted us to use our real names and not hide behind fake names. Obviously, I was wrong about this since most of the mods use fake names themselves. But I didn't know that when I reregistered.

Still, Jim Kelly is a bit of a fake name, too--since my father changed his name after the war. He served in the Canadian army, yet that didn't stop people from disparaging his German family name. Supposedly he took Kelly because a fortune teller said it would bring him good luck.

And Jim is a nickname--which is something a lot of people don't understand. I guess because we are a multicultural country, so the idea that my name is James, but I'm called Jim, doesn't hit people right and they always struggle with this concept.

James, because my grandfather on my mother's side ran away from his home in Sweden and joined the merchant marine when he was in his teens. Ships were made of wood back then and he was shipwrecked a few times. One shipwreck he survived by clinging to a piece of the broken up ship. The ship was called the Ellen James, so when he had children, he named one of them Ellen and another James. Ellen being my mother and James being my uncle (but like me he was called Jim). So I got his name.

Mine is a name based on prejudice and destruction.

I have a tendency to offend people on both sides by going where the data leads rather than where ideology says they should be or their feelings want them to be. As such on another board that leans heavy conservative I'm viewed as radical liberal and here, which seems to heavily slanted to the left, if I partook more in the political parts of the conversations I'd be viewed as a Trumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When this board was rebooted, I was led to believe that the moderators wanted us to use our real names and not hide behind fake names. Obviously, I was wrong about this since most of the mods use fake names themselves. But I didn't know that when I reregistered.

Still, Jim Kelly is a bit of a fake name, too--since my father changed his name after the war. He served in the Canadian army, yet that didn't stop people from disparaging his German family name. Supposedly he took Kelly because a fortune teller said it would bring him good luck.

And Jim is a nickname--which is something a lot of people don't understand. I guess because we are a multicultural country, so the idea that my name is James, but I'm called Jim, doesn't hit people right and they always struggle with this concept.

James, because my grandfather on my mother's side ran away from his home in Sweden and joined the merchant marine when he was in his teens. Ships were made of wood back then and he was shipwrecked a few times. One shipwreck he survived by clinging to a piece of the broken up ship. The ship was called the Ellen James, so when he had children, he named one of them Ellen and another James. Ellen being my mother and James being my uncle (but like me he was called Jim). So I got his name.

Mine is a name based on prejudice and destruction.
    Well, now I feel awkward. I thought you were a fan of former Buffalo Bills Quarterback from the early 1990s, Jim Kelly.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, now I feel awkward. I thought you were a fan of former Buffalo Bills Quarterback from the early 1990s, Jim Kelly.
    Broke my heart that Jim Kelly never won a Superbowl. And let's not forget Jim Kelly was a superior martial arts master and action movie star.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Too much tech-knowl-gee. And my poor Horse-Taxi business went under almost immediately because some wipper-snapper called "Ford" made those dang auto-mobiles so dang easy to make and cheap to buy!
    Man, that must've been rough, old timer! You have my sympathy!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

My user name is just my name basically albeit Ossie is a nickname but Ossie stands for Oswald so...Yeah, no real meaning behind my username.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I love a variety of characters but I really have a thing for the stealthy, street level characters. What was my gateway was Spider-Man and Cloak and Dagger, characters like Nightcrawler, Shadowcat (wish she'd go back to that name and look it) Psylocke and Wolverine - when he wasn't more like a god - kept me staying. Spidey has suffered from that once and so did Hulk, it was getting a bit much. Anywho... hence my username. I wanted something really dramatic celebrating it. Coming from the shadows insert character here. I usually like an icon appropriate to my user name.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-21-2021 at 12:21 AM.

BANNED

Green_garnish has no meaning at all. It was a random couple of words I came up with to start an account.

My avatar was carefully considered, though. I wanted something to express the dichotemy so many on these forums have between what they like and what is good.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Our life is a series of moments. So I'm always a moment closer to something new. A birthday, falling in love, scraping my knee on the concrete, finding bliss in a song, crying out loud about the loved ones I've lost and miss, to death itself, or to life eternal, to reaching a goal I've set for myself. It's just how I see and interpret this crazy thing we call life. I'm always just a moment closer.

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    Our life is a series of moments. So I'm always a moment closer to something new. A birthday, falling in love, scraping my knee on the concrete, finding bliss in a song, crying out loud about the loved ones I've lost and miss, to death itself, or to life eternal, to reaching a goal I've set for myself. It's just how I see and interpret this crazy thing we call life. I'm always just a moment closer.
    ....but as you get a moment closer to one thing....you get a moment further from the previous thing....
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

It is my first name and last initial.