Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Explain your screen name

We see many varied and different screen names here. Some are more self explanatory than others. Some are real head scratchers. Some have random letters and numbers in them.
    So I thought I'd start a thread where we could share what the meaning behind the names are.

Kirby101; The Kirby part is obviously honoring Jack Kirby. The 101 is from my college days and how courses were numbered.

I almost went with Kirby2.0 as in software updates. But liked how Kirby101 looked better.

Bonus points to tell us where your avatar came from.
    Mine is a colored version of a pencil drawing Kirby did of Darkseid.

Last edited by Kirby101; 02-10-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I used to have my posting name match my avatar but for a while now I make frequent changes. Many have thought it was a tribute to the band but I really started out as using the character from the T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents, a comic I liked from my childhood

Did you not know? Could you not guess?

CCstrobeCover2.jpg
    CClego.jpg

It doesn't matter. I shall tell you anyway. The name is a character I created for a college newspaper and used for a convention cosplay. My son made me a Lego figure to play with.

My avatar, believe it or not, I don't know. And you didn't read that, you sang it.

Boisterously Confused

When I first found CBR, back its Kingdom Come Discussion Board days, I randomly picked MRMIRACLE for my name. In time, The Pantheon as the regulars called ourselves, started some threads to write shared fiction, including some stories in which we cast ourselves.

One of those stories was kind of our farewell to the old board when Jonah migrated everything to the original CBR site. It was basically our CoIE. Several users modified their handles during as part of their Post-Crisis origin retell, including me. I wrote my character as a failed psychologist, who tripped over one of Scott Free's old costumes and Motherboxes, used it to follow one of the other Pantheon to J Street, where he was spying on them to write a book. His name was Newton Guyton Od, or Newg Od for short.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 02-10-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Mine is pretty easy. Blob is my favorite mutant. I was a big kid and seeing a fat comic book character so I loved him.

So I created a Marvel alter ego called Baby Blob. He got slapped silly by the real Blob for using his name, then to get revenge Babyblob tried to rob a bank and was a three panel villain in Spiderman. First panel me ranting, second panel Spiderman back handing me into a wall as people laugh. Third panel me being taken in by police as Spiderman decides not to take a pic of it for the Bugle as not way JJ would buy it.

Now Baby Blob wonders the Marvel universe in Tator Tot eating contests. He has yet to win.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

In the before time, in the long long distant past that was the early 2000s, I liked an anime titled Blue Seed with a main character named Kusanagi. When I joined my first message board I decided to use that as a username for no real reason, and really it's just followed me everywhere on the net since. I've been using it so long I had to struggle to recall it's origin.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

While mine is fictional, it has nothing to do with any comic books (that I know of), and is more of a joke creature for where I'm from.

A taxidermist (sober or not, is lost to time) decided to slap a couple of antlers from the pronghorn antelope onto a jackrabbit. From there, a bunch of fun nonsense was born.

I have heard of the jackalope. and the 89?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    . . . My avatar, believe it or not, I don't know. And you didn't read that, you sang it.
    For anybody who doesn't get the joke about that,

and look up the theme song to the show . . .

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

All the Imperius Rex variations were taken ): lol, but also I liked this panel and stole it

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

For my first year here I had the screen name of MikoChan. I intended it to stand for Young Shrine Maiden [I was really into InuYasha and was inspired by that], but I got some serious flack for it as others implied that it had a less than innocent meaning.

At the time, the Moderators were starting to allow changes, but only on the condition that you change your screen name to your real name, or something close to it.

So, about one year after I joined, I asked to have it changed to a variant spelling of my real name. Which, turned out to work much better.

Oh, and don't think too hard on my Avatar, I change it so often it's more of a mood thing than having any specific meaning. Some I get from image searches, some from comics or anime, and others I make myself [with help from online avatar makers and/or Photoshop].

Actually, sometime this month I might change it again.

Edit:

I just want to add that in 8th grade I had a classmate whose name was spelled this way and I've been a little jealous ever since.
    Last edited by Tami; 02-12-2021 at 06:35 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

foxley has a complicated history. Many years ago, I was in a Changeling LARP playing a fox pooka with a Robin Hood fixation named Loxley. My most bitter rival (in a 'frenemy' sort of way) was an unseelie Sidhe who used to sarcastically refer to me as 'Foxley'. The nickname for the character stuck and several other started calling him that.

Fast-forward a few years and the proliferation of the interwebs. I found myself needing a login name for more and more sites. I tried to keep this identity constant across as many sites as possible. Combinations of my real name were frequently taken, but I discovered that foxley almost never was (I think Gmail was the only place it was already taken), so foxley became my 'go to' screen name.

The avatar is Pat Savage from one of Dynamite's Doc Savage books.
    Last edited by foxley; 02-11-2021 at 05:04 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Nothing too terribly complicated about my handle: I live in West Philadelphia (or "West Philly") and I'm a longtime fan of the Punisher. And, in my humble opinion, no one drew Frank better than the late, great Steve Dillon!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mine is not complicated, it's my initials, but way back when I used to teach and students who struggled with my last name would call me Mr. P as well. I was also a fan of the Middle Earth RPG, often called MERP for short, so when first choosing usernames, it became a confluence of those things-MRP which I usually pronounce MERP if I say it aloud.

My avatar is from Walt Kelly's Pogo, the full sequence the avatar is from is here:

but the phrase "We have met the enemy and it is us" is used often in Pogo, even as a title for a collected edition of the strips...

but it also reflects my feelings on lot of fandoms in general.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Well, I've had a couple different names on CBR over the years. I was 'Arrjay' before the great reboot, that was a play on my initials. Then I created a new account post-reboot going by 'Anxiety Lad' but soon after I went to the Name Changes thread and had it changed to Odd Rödney as that is the name I use everywhere else on the internet and I wanted brand synergy, lol.

My avatar is a custom animated version of Amphibian from Supreme Power. I'm not a huge fan of the character but I love her design. And I like water. Plus the non-animated regular version of this, available here in the CBR avatar collection, was my original avatar when I signed up way back in 2004. I wrote 'avatar' an uncomfortable amount of times right there, but I'm already over it.

I used to always write in blue text with the Georgia font but it proved cumbersome so I don't do that anymore.

That's about it!
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.