14 34.15%
  • The Borg

13 31.71%
  • Other

14 34.15%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Greatest Star Trek Villain: Khan or The Borg

I prefer the Borg over Khan. Also Khan was pretty ruined in Into Darkness. there was something cynical, life damaging, and extremely dangerous about the Borg that made me more scared of them than Khan.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

My problem with assigning the Borg as greatest villain is that they're not terribly complex. Sure, they're far more of a threat than a singular person but I think their concept is pretty basic.

Not to mention that Borg drones are unwilling participants in their species' conquests. I could maybe buy the Borg queen but even then...

For me the debate of greatest Star Trek villain boils down to Khan or Dukat. Khan beats out Dukat because he's far more recognized than Dukat, and Dukat spiraled into cartoon villainy during DS9's last season.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've always like the rivalry with the Romulans the best to be honest.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Khan, all day long. Of all the Star Trek movie villains (excluding the Abrams reboot), he was head and shoulders above all the rest.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Nero

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This feels a bit apples and oranges to me.

Khan is a person and the Borg are not.

If it was Borg or Klingons or Romulans, etc.

Or Khan vs. Lore vs. Q vs. Armus vs. Harry Mudd vs. General Chang, etc.

But that being said, I went with Khan.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 02-02-2021 at 10:53 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I much prefer Dukat over Khan, but that just may be oversaturation of Khan. Dear Star Trek -- not every villain has to be modeled after Khan, most certainly not for things like reboots.

Seriously, I recall the press releases for each TNG movie saying, "so-and-so is the most dangerous villain since Khan!", and then the Abrams movies followed suit (one literally). Sure, he made his impact, but don't keep trying to make him the benchmark each and every time, because then that means every villain since then wasn't up to snuff. Make these villains formidable in their own right.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

dukat for me as well. more complex personality with more complex motives. plus, i find his rivalry with sisko to be the stuff of legends.

Dukat was the best Villain in Star Trek hands down.

But if we answer he questions in the post.

Khan was the better villain while the Borg are the bigger threat.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Q, like, obv.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Dukat was the best Villain in Star Trek hands down.

But if we answer he questions in the post.

Khan was the better villain while the Borg are the bigger threat.
    Agreed. Dukat benefitted from much more characterization, if Khan had lasted an entire season, or even multiple seasons, as a threat, then sure, that could have rocked, but he didn't, and so Dukat takes it away.

The Borg, IMO, lost a step when the Borg Queen notion was introduced. I think they felt more of a insidious faceless unbeatable threat when there wasn't a 'boss' and the threat was *all of them*, there being no 'head of the snake' to be cut off and leave them floundering.

Q, just, meh. He was too much dependent, IMO, on whether or not you like that sort of humor, or the actor's delivery, and I didn't, so he was just annoying and a distraction, like a recurring Squire of Trelane that would never seem to grow up or be really relevant.

Enterprise and Discovery didn't really contribute much in the way of 'big bads,' that I can recall. Much like the original series, most of their foes came and went, unlike the Borg Queen, Dukat and Q, who at least had some longevity. Voyager had problems with recurring threats as the ship was in constant motion and not revisiting past locations, due to the nature of the show, so that at least follows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I've always like the rivalry with the Romulans the best to be honest.
    Romulans are not true villains they are just very misunderstood.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Nero

Nero was an okayish villain, not really the best but a good plot device for Star Trek 2009 film.

Agree with everyone that DS9's Gul Dukat was one of the best singular villain characters in the franchise and that comparing Khan to the Borg is an apples and oranges situation (one being a specific antagonist character, the other an antagonist species). That said, I think the Borg have shown more story opportunities and have had a bigger impact on the franchise as a whole (I mean, they're arguably the one post-TOS character/alien that's become part of the most iconic, part of pop culture roster from the franchise).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Alex Kurtzman
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest