Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I agree, Superman IS Clark, but Lois has always been the character they've used to declare that. It doesn't matter what we as fans want. If DC publishes it, well them's the rules. Lois has long since become their mouthpiece for "this is Superman."

You're arguing headcanon at this point instead of dealing with the cold, hard truth that DC picks who Superman is at any moment. Not you or me. Lois is usually the means to which they declare such.

You think most of us want Clark or Bruce replaced? We don't, but if DC makes Jon and Jace Superman and Batman, then Superman and Batman they are. Simple as that.
    Sad but true.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Sad but true.
    It's nothing to be sad about. It's something to be proud of.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    that corporate entity basically took superman and other long list of characters that should be in public domain from it's creators,decided to do whatever with it?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    that corporate entity basically took superman and other long list of characters that should be in public domain from it's creators,decided to do whatever with it?
    That's an entirely separate thing.

If you insist.....

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Tragic but true, more so the last part. They indeed got screwed for literally decades by DC.

Fantastic Member

Not everyone is into this legacy/mantle stuff, and that is perfectly OK.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Some people are just flat out not into mantle sharing. Should they be ashamed since they are not proud?
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 02-17-2021 at 01:50 PM.

I'm extremely proud of my lack of acknowledgment of this. I'll never consider Jon Superman, and I don't care what DC says or tries to push. Its a ginormous mistake, and I'll point it out until it dies. Stubborn, petty, immature, that argument could be made for all of that to some degree and if so, I accept it. But its my real feelings. I don't generally play the head-canon card but I'm all in on it now for as long as its necessary.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-17-2021 at 02:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I dunno why this thread devolved into what it did. There's an objective answer here (and it's not that Clark is the only Superman), didn't really need to turn into a debate.

I'm much more interested in discussing who's next to take on the mantle of Dan DiDio.

Thread drift. Slight thread drift, considering the turn the conversation did take was still applicable to the ultimate source content. But in the end a mod could decide differently. And yes, it can a discussion/debate when it comes the nuance of it all, symbolism, history, impact, etc. etc. Which was pretty clearly the larger basis of most of the viewpoints. If it wasn't worth disccussion, no one would be discussing it. Just because something isn't worth debating to you doesn't make it not worth debating for others.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-17-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Thread drift. Slight thread drift, considering the turn the conversation did take was still applicable to the ultimate source content. But in the end a mod could decide differently. And yes, it can a discussion/debate when it comes the nuance of it all, symbolism, history, impact, etc. etc. Which was pretty clearly the larger basis of most of the viewpoints. If it wasn't worth disccussion, no one would be discussing it. Just because something isn't worth debating to you doesn't make it not worth debating for others.
    I mean, you've got people saying "Clark is the only Superman evar!11!!"

All you have to do is search up Superman on the DC Wiki and see how untrue that is.

On a slightly different note, Clark Kent is the only Superboy ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post

All you have to do is search up Superman on the DC Wiki and see how untrue that is.

No, people have said he should be the sole Superman not that he is.

I seriously doubt anyone in this thread is ignorant of there being other Supermen. Heck, one of my favorite Superman stories of all time is the Death and Return of Superman which features multiple Supermen. I'm also a huge fan of Val-Zod & Calvin Ellis.

Edit - The main point being made is some people don't want Jon or anyone else as the primary Superman they want Clark Kent. Other people (myself included) feel Jon is nothing but a retread a pale imitation who adds little if anything new to the Superman mythos and thus shouldn't replace his father.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-17-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Agreed! Its not a title that gets thrown around casually and automatically gets doled out just because. It's not like earning a promotion, a college degree, or a spot on the baseball team. But in Jon's case, if he sat around and drank beer all day, or used his power for ill, he would certainly not have done anything to earn the name Superman. (maybe "earn" is the wrong word?)
    deserve?

-------

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post

Well, he's the only one that really matters.

The others can be lifted from the mythos and it doesn't change.