Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I enjoy a good Elseworlds or AU story as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day Clark Kent is Superman, and Superman is Clark Kent.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I enjoy a good Elseworlds or AU story as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day Clark Kent is Superman, and Superman is Clark Kent.
    Where does his 2024 Max Landis reboot's manbun factor into all this? :P

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Where does his 2024 Max Landis reboot's manbun factor into all this? :P
    You (and Landis!) lost me at manbun... -_-
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    You (and Landis!) lost me at manbun... -_-
    Should have lost you at Landis.

To be honest with you, the biggest change I see for Clark's hair would be getting a beard. It's growing in popularity and they do say "dad" pretty loudly. Considering how quick Hoechlin's beard seems to come in, I can see them letting him grow one after a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It feels like we're just scared of change when we do that.
    There are very good reasons for Bruce Wayne to retire and someone else to take his place. But if you think Superman Beyond is a possible future, Isee no readon for anyone else to take that role. Even in his 70s, Superman will still be in his prime.

To be honest with you, the biggest change I see for Clark's hair would be getting a beard. It's growing in popularity and they do say "dad" pretty loudly. Considering how quick Hoechlin's beard seems to come in, I can see them letting him grow one after a few seasons.
    I approve of the beard.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman is Kal-El. It's who he is when he's not hiding behind glasses or trying to blend into a crowd.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-11-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Yeah a beard would work, and it's looked pretty cool in the past IMO. Just don't combine beard and man-bun.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I prefer him clean shaven but have to acknowledge the beard support is growing.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I prefer him clean shaven but have to acknowledge the beard support is growing.
    Plus, with any beard, there's the opportunity to use the classic mirror shaving bit
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No it's not. Not since he's been around since 1938 and been cemented in the public consciousness as the character.

I respect the appeal of a lot of legacy characters and the need for a lot of them because we are not getting much diversity otherwise, but I think franchsing things this way is really stupid. It sucks that the industry does not allow much for new characters/ideas to gain traction and form their own legends. There is also more to these identities than just clothes anyone can wear.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I guess they're just saying that Superman doesn't have to be Clark.

Personally, I'd be ok with Clark retiring altogether. It would allow for time to actually move.
    Clark doesn't need to retire for time to move. There is more than enough precedent for him to be either immortal or age extremely slowly. It would also be OOC for him to flat out retire and have someone else be Superman. Same with Diana.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There is also more to these identities than just clothes anyone can wear.
    100% this right here.

Pretty much this.

There can be people who fill in or are alternate universes/futures, but there's only one Superman to me in the present.

I love Jon as a future Superman, though.
    My thoughts exactly. In the future, Superman aka Clark can retire if there is someone to cover for him, but he will come back when he is needed. So, in a sense, he never truly retires because he has a calling and a strong sense of responsibility. It's also important that the people KNOW Jon Superman is not the first Super, but his sucessor. Each one should have their own costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    100% this right here.
    Which, sadly and annoyingly, is something modern comic book editors and writers often forget.

Edit - This is why I was a fan of the Superior Spider-Man story arc back in the day. It clearly showed that not just anyone can assume an identity and become that hero nor should they.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Which, sadly and annoyingly, is something modern comic book editors and writers often forget.
    To be fair, it's not as if the increasingly shrinking comics reading crowd is giving them many other avenues to introduce new characters.