Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    To be fair, it's not as if the increasingly shrinking comics reading crowd is giving them many other avenues to introduce new characters.
    True, comic book fans detest change of any sort far more so than fans of most other fiction. This is part of the reason I prefer Manga.

Edit - That said, I feel there are certain things that should remain sacred. Invent new identities rather than shoehorning new characters into existing identities. Don't piggyback a new character off an existing fanbase nine times out of ten it fails plus it is lazy, creatively bankrupt writing. I know it is hard work but at one time all the classic characters were unknown quantities.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-11-2021 at 09:03 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

There can be more than one Super, just make sure there are differences between each other. There is Superman, Supergirl, Superboy and even Krypto! :P

I don't want Superman to ever permanently retire, and I'm fine if he wants some time off to dedicate to his family and have a holiday on another planet. And it helps if there is someone else to cover for him. But that should be for the far future.

IMO, the story of Clark Kent is so iconic, it will never be surpassed by another Super, but we can have his legacy characters as long as it's done well.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    There can be more than one Super, just make sure there are differences between each other. There is Superman, Supergirl, Superboy and even Krypto! :P....
    I don't mean that I mean calling another character straight up Superman, Supergirl, or Batman even while the original is still active rather than a "family" affiliation. With the exception of Miles Morales, this strategy has always failed.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the best Superman successor was that homeless dude from Superman 400. No idea what he's stumbling on, suddenly picks up the legacy of a hero and is empowered by it to rise against the oppression around him, inspires a revolution. Not a replacement for Superman, simply a small person empowered by the Superman myth who stands for the same ideals his predecessor did, an spiritual continuation of his legacy in the far future rather than a Kryptonian dynasty directly linked to the dude. Pity about his fate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I don't mean that I mean calling another character straight up Superman, Supergirl, or Batman even while the original is still active rather than a "family" affiliation. With the exception of Miles Morales, this strategy has always failed.
    I understand, it's why there should be some differences that even the people will know. Probably using a different name like Super something.

The name Ultraman sounds cool, but he was a villain, right? I'm sure there can be other cool names. And they should wear the S to continue the legacy of Superman.

Swiss army nerd

Clark never retires. As long as he has the power to help people, that's what he'll be doing. And he couldn't care less what you call him.

The thing of calling Jon the Superman of Metropolis is pretty good, as it allows for him to be a Superman in his own area, while Clark is off doing big picture stuff.

While Clark will always be Superman to me (and the world), I try to think of it as Clark would think of it. He thinks he isn't special. He thinks that literally everyone has it in them to be a Superman, or Superwoman or Superperson. He believes in everyone, so screw it, I will too. You want to be Superman? Go help people as best you can. Clark would give you a cape himself.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The concept of "retirement", for a mythological hero like Superman is so strange. He's either dead or he's helping others. Being Superman isn't something he punches in and out of, it is who he is when he's helping.

I think it's easy for people to think of it as a job, because the idea of this high service you can rise up to is foreign to most.

There's death, disillusionment, or exile (be it forced, or self imposed)- but beyond that he's just Superman.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-11-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. In the future, Superman aka Clark can retire if there is someone to cover for him, but he will come back when he is needed. So, in a sense, he never truly retires because he has a calling and a strong sense of responsibility. It's also important that the people KNOW Jon Superman is not the first Super, but his sucessor. Each one should have their own costume.
    Feels like posturing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Feels like posturing.
    Not really. it's visually boring for all the Supermen to look exactly like Clark, because comic art doesn't make individual characters look distinct from each other to begin with.

And he IS Superman. Jon's his successor whose barely a few years old publication wise. It's not posturing, it's a simple fact.

Yes, Superman is a mantle. No, it's not something you can disagree with. Yeah, I'm talking to you!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Not really. it's visually boring for all the Supermen to look exactly like Clark, because comic art doesn't make individual characters look distinct from each other to begin with.

And he IS Superman. Jon's his successor whose barely a few years old publication wise. It's not posturing, it's a simple fact.
    How would it be if we constantly have people remind Jon that he's only the second Superman. You're basically saying he's redundant by nature.

Isn't that why people complain whenever writers portray Barry as the superior Flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I believe that the best Superman successor was that homeless dude from Superman 400. No idea what he's stumbling on, suddenly picks up the legacy of a hero and is empowered by it to rise against the oppression around him, inspires a revolution. Not a replacement for Superman, simply a small person empowered by the Superman myth who stands for the same ideals his predecessor did, an spiritual continuation of his legacy in the far future rather than a Kryptonian dynasty directly linked to the dude. Pity about his fate, though.
    Interesting thought.

Ultimately, yes, someone else can be called Superman after Clark is gone or retires. But I don't understand why the Clark I believe in would leave planet Earth for longer than a few months while in his 40s. Im his 70s he would still be fully physically capable, but maybe he made enough of a change in the world, and has a group of people that have long since been ready to take over, and Lois passed away peacefully leaving him with a desire to venture out into the universe, change his scenery. At thta point someone else could be called Superman, but in his 40s it makes no sense for this to happen.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

This is why I was a fan of the Superior Spider-Man story arc back in the day. It clearly showed that not just anyone can assume an identity and become that hero nor should they.
    Agreed. Reign of the Supermen did the same thing waaaay back in 1993.

Now that I think about it, wasn't the whole point of that story to basically refute the OP's assertion...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Yes, Superman is a mantle. No, it's not something you can disagree with. Yeah, I'm talking to you!
    Too late!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

True, comic book fans detest change of any sort far more so than fans of most other fiction. This is part of the reason I prefer Manga.

Edit - That said, I feel there are certain things that should remain sacred. Invent new identities rather than shoehorning new characters into existing identities. Don't piggyback a new character off an existing fanbase nine times out of ten it fails plus it is lazy, creatively bankrupt writing. I know it is hard work but at one time all the classic characters were unknown quantities.
    Manga is a different beast that yields different expectations. Like you'd expect a manga to dry up and tumble away pretty quickly without a guiding hand or the general association with the original creator. Nevermind decades later.

New characters have pretty much the worst ongoing cycle. If Flash sells 100 copies, Victor Volt sells 25... Victor Volt sells 70 as Flash, and hopefully you can count on selling 35 after his stint as Flash. So I get it... but regardless of how much I like the replacement or not I'm just waiting til they either bring back my guy or hook him up with some good archive collections.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES