Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    On one hand I like a lot of the characters in the OP, and don’t mind them being “Superman”.

On the other hand, good God am I not enjoying the idea of “Superman” becoming like Green Lantern or Flash where multiple people lay claim to the title and the fandoms are constantly fighting over who is the “best” one to hold the title.
    Yeah the GL thing would be almost worst case scenario, particularly in how Hal is now regarded. Other than his die-hard fans, he's pretty much passe as far as the mainstream is concerned, an outdated boring character from another era (although full disclosure, I personally still like Hal, and the current Morrison run is nothing short of awesome). Point being, it would be downright awful if they just started creating a ton of Supermen thereby turning the original in to a relic.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

On one hand I like a lot of the characters in the OP, and don’t mind them being “Superman”.

On the other hand, good God am I not enjoying the idea of “Superman” becoming like Green Lantern or Flash where multiple people lay claim to the title and the fandoms are constantly fighting over who is the “best” one to hold the title.
    Or the Robins or the Batgirls.

It's exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yeah the GL thing would be almost worst case scenario, particularly in how Hal is now regarded. Other than his die-hard fans, he's pretty much passe as far as the mainstream is concerned, an outdated boring character from another era (although full disclosure, I personally still like Hal, and the current Morrison run is nothing short of awesome). Point being, it would be downright awful if they just started creating a ton of Supermen thereby turning the original in to a relic.
    Not to get too far off topic on the subject of Hal, but while he's definitely not mainstream iconic levels of popular, he starred in GL: TAS and that was well received critically and in ratings. It got cancelled because of toy sales. I don't think the mainstream knows enough about him to think of his as boring or outdated. Outside of nostalgia for JL/U, they don't seem to know much about John either, and he was overhauled as part of the show

To try to get this point back to being relevant...yep, GL is a mantle that is shared by multiple characters and has been since at least the 50s when Hal was a revamp of Alan (NOT a legacy). And the idea of Clark being seen as a boring outdated relic when he's already viewed as that in certain circles, and attempts to reinvigorate him like Morrison's New 52 take aren't allowed to gain traction, is distressing.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think Clark is safe because his son is too close to him to really gain enough fans to overlap Clark himself.

It's Jace Fox that I see people arguing should be the one true Batman because, at the very least, he offers a unique voice in the Bat suit. Like Grayson did.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Phantom is exactly the reason.I feel like what's the big deal.Superman has always been a name given by the people or lois to someone unknown with exceptional skills

weren't you against superman/jon being like in superman of metropolis?(I espiecially like the first issue.Second issue was anticlimactic)

This doesn't look or feel like clark kent.Now you are saying he is like nu coke.I am gonna say that,i agree with you.They messed up with everything else.As for jon bland qualities being backed in.That's only true when writers with preconcieved notions of clark's son write him.Jon is pretty cool when that isn't the case.
    I don't like that he essentially was bad at being Superman (and I only skimmed it as it's down the list on the books I'm catching up on) but I do applaud that team for giving him a different approach to things. I just don't believe he'd shit the bed as hard as he did. FS:JL was a pretty okay halfway point between Superman of Metropolis and SM/WW, though in the latter he did feel a little too close to Clark for my tastes.

The look? It works. I prefer my Supes with a cape, but this does look like a young Superman of tomorrow. It works. A lot of future John should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think Clark is safe because his son is too close to him to really gain enough fans to overlap Clark himself.

It's Jace Fox that I see people arguing should be the one true Batman because, at the very least, he offers a unique voice in the Bat suit. Like Grayson did.
    And more diversity to Gotham, which is part of why I think some people accepted Ryan Wilder as Batwoman despite how controversial that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And more diversity to Gotham, which is part of why I think some people accepted Ryan Wilder as Batwoman despite how controversial that was.
    Sure, there's definitely that element as well.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    1.) You stated there were no multi-decadal Manga/Anime that are good (which is subjective, granted) I showed there are.

2.) My point is that characters become more popular with staying power if they are given their own unique take on the mythos rather than copycatting their predecessor: this is why Connor, Miles, and Spider-Gwen are popular, they work if you will whereas Teen Jon doesn't.

Yes, but DC wants Jon to be the successor a mini-me Superman free from 80 years of baggage, not a temporary replacement or an "Elseworlds" holder of the moniker. I would not find this so objectable if Teen Jon was his own thing rather than a blatant ripoff both in appearance and action of his daddy. Poor Lois, he literally received nothing from her, Clark might as well have birthed Teen Jon himself.
    I didn't say anything about "good." I like all the titles you mentioned. I'm just saying it's a different sort of beast so the comparison to manga is too tricky. My point itself gets lost in the attempt to cover all of the differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You can basically thank Miles and Bendis for that.

Both are more or less the spark that allows All New All Different to happen. That's where Cho Hulk, Jane Thor, RiRi, Kate Hawkeye, and Sam Cap come from.

And now look at the track record a few years later: literally all of them (with the only exception being Cho Hulk) are getting shows or being added to a movie. Bendis, in a round about way, created the era of the co titled/full on successor superhero when he did the impossible and successfully replaced Peter Parker in what was at the time (and for quite some time) the most popular Spider-Man and the go-to Spider-Man for young people.

Spider-Man is very easily more popular in the public eye than Superman, and arguably just as popular as Batman, so if you can do that on maybe the one comic character that everyone pretty much unanimously agrees doesn't need "fixing" (Batman has been catching heat for being THAT rich of a guy) then pretty much all bets are off.

Now after Spider-Verse we're living in the world where when you say Spider-Man someone can ask "which one" and they're not the crazy one, but rather you are because you were fool enough not to be more specific. And Marvel's good with playing it as a co lead situation with Miles clearly being groomed to take over...eventually.

DC seems to be down for much the same with the big 3 (the ones that this will really matter with). And the only way you reach any sort of success is by just, ya know, doing it. The era of the co lead hero/successor hero is very real, and we're in it full swing.
    Yeah. Kamala will always be far and away the one I point to when getting into the positives of the concept.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

This is one of my concerns as well. Hopefully, it won't ever get to such an extreme. *crosses fingers nervously"
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-13-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I didn't say anything about "good." I like all the titles you mentioned. I'm just saying it's a different sort of beast so the comparison to manga is too tricky. My point itself gets lost in the attempt to cover all of the differences.....
    I'll give you that.

One of my big fears about the title of Superman becoming a mantle was perfectly captured by Vordan in a post (see my previous post quoting Vordan for further details).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Well we have 2 superboys, course one was always going to be DC's preferred superboy, but we still have them both
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Well we have 2 superboys, course one was always going to be DC's preferred superboy, but we still have them both
    Yeah, the wrong one... *side eye*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    As a fan of both Superboys, oi! Don't let Conner come between Bay Area boys.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Well duh lol

As a fan of both Superboys, oi! Don't let Conner come between Bay Area boys.
    Conner is and never has been the problem
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't like that he essentially was bad at being Superman (and I only skimmed it as it's down the list on the books I'm catching up on) but I do applaud that team for giving him a different approach to things. I just don't believe he'd shit the bed as hard as he did. FS:JL was a pretty okay halfway point between Superman of Metropolis and SM/WW, though in the latter he did feel a little too close to Clark for my tastes.

The look? It works. I prefer my Supes with a cape, but this does look like a young Superman of tomorrow. It works. A lot of future John should work.
    I don't see it as shitting the bed.He chose to save a kid and metropolis.Jon picked a side.For that he took an extreme step to protect the weak.The only thing he didn't account for is the people inside.But, that's why you have people around you.To see what you don't ser.That's exactly the kinda guy I want Jon to be,within moral restraints of course.The only thing I didn't like is him getting away with it second issue.That is why I said, second issue was a mixed bag.i want a guy smashing cars and breaking through walls ,scaring the shit out of bad guys.The one thing i loved is how agile Jon was portrayed in that issue.If Clark is around as the other superman providing inspiration and all that jazz.They should stuck with Jon being running around causing all sort of trouble.
    I also the company was right to mandate that.Jon needs to break of the shackles of the evolution of superman and start a new.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-13-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The hero we need in all GL threads. Don't ever leave us, Gaius.