Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Whether you are in a parallel universe or the same universe is irrelevant. The concept here is that time simply a measurement of change no matter how you chose to represent it. Let's use a simple example of a series of dots represent change ie the passage of time.

0..............................1.......2.......... .................3................................ .................................................. ........................4

Let's now say that 1is Cable's birth in 616. 2 is Jean and Cyclops being sent to the future and raising Cable. 3 is Jean and Cyclops being sent back to 2. 4 is Cable being sent back in time to 0 before his birth.

The dots that represent the measurement of change happen. It doesn't matter if make them linear, make them run parallel or arrange them in a circle. The point is change is happening. So when Jean and Cyke time travel back to point 2, they still had the changes that took place between 2 and 3. Likewise, when Cable went from 4 back to 0, all the changes that happened to him from his birth at 1 to the point in 4 still happened. The dots are not altered by act of time travel. What can happen is the dots can be altered once the time traveler arrives in the past and if that is within the same universe then it can create paradoxes or change history or if that is within a parallel universe, it can create a divergence from the original timeline. However, the key again is that nothing that happened prior to the time travel is altered by the initial act of time travel. Those dots still happened and the measurement of change ie time still occurred.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Whether you are in a parallel universe or the same universe is irrelevant. The concept here is that time simply a measurement of change no matter how you chose to represent it. Let's use a simple example of a series of dots represent change ie the passage of time.

0..............................1.......2.......... .................3................................ .................................................. ........................4

Let's now say that 1is Cable's birth in 616. 2 is Jean and Cyclops being sent to the future and raising Cable. 3 is Jean and Cyclops being sent back to 2. 4 is Cable being sent back in time to 0 before his birth.

The dots that represent the measurement of change happen. It doesn't matter if make them linear, make them run parallel or arrange them in a circle. The point is change is happening. So when Jean and Cyke time travel back to point 2, they still had the changes that took place between 2 and 3. Likewise, when Cable went from 4 back to 0, all the changes that happened to him from his birth at 1 to the point in 4 still happened. The dots are not altered by act of time travel. What can happen is the dots can be altered once the time traveler arrives in the past and if that is within the same universe then it can create paradoxes or change history or if that is within a parallel universe, it can create a divergence from the original timeline. However, the key again is that nothing that happened prior to the time travel is altered by the initial act of time travel. Those dots still happened and the measurement of change ie time still occurred.
    I think I get that too. Basically time moves relative to the subject and their experience, so although Nathan changed 40 years in his future timeline, that didn’t effect those in the present timeline as time doesn’t exist in between the two timelines.

I know it sounds all over the place but it makes sense now. I think lol
    Last edited by Dcnewb; 02-10-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post

So the universe that he returned to isn’t the true 616 since that would have aged 40 years by the time he aged in the future... I’m not sure if that makes sense lol
    In the first place, when Cable was created , he was not meant to be Scott's son. He was meant to be an older guy not related to X-Men family.

Then somebody decided to retcon him as Scott's son and that's why we have all these nonsense stories that don't make sense.

I am glad that kid Cable is back because he should be that age.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

In Marvel and hero comics, time is a thread where one part is fixed, representing the present while the future is the part of the thread that's all unraveled into multiple threads which represent multiple futures.

That's why Nathan ends up in a different future compared to the future that Miguel O'Hara comes from and the future where Carol ended up where Namor laid pipe on The Enchantress.

As for Cable, he didn't age rapidly; he just grew up in the future. (The same thing happened to Franklin Richards but they reversed it somehow)
    "Cable was right!"

Amazing Member

And....Cable is a nexus of space & time (if I remember correctly from the Dark Sisterhood storyline!).

Quote Originally Posted by Charm View Post
    And....Cable is a nexus of space & time (if I remember correctly from the Dark Sisterhood storyline!).
    He is. Probably because he was born in this time but has spent some much time in the timestream. So he’s an anchor to the 616, and a link between past-present-future (hence the name “Cable”; I swear this was said by someone, possibly Jean, at one point).

Also, in that story it was alluded to that he was fighting his ancestor, Jean Grey’s great-great-grandmother or something. But I think that plot thread got dropped. It was kind of cool, though. At least IMO.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Cocaine for breakfast and cigarettes for dinner. The '90s were a hell of a time. Don't do drugs kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Cocaine for breakfast and cigarettes for dinner. The '90s were a hell of a time. Don't do drugs kids!
    Hahaha. This made me laugh out loud.

Spectacular Member

I’ve decided to settle on the following:

In Marvel, if you were looking at the timeline from a top down view - from “the outside”, you’d see that the timeline is in stasis and that it functions independently from other time outside of it...

So now let’s imagine Nathan is looking at the time stream from a top down perspective - when he leaves timeline A and goes to timeline B, the time in timeline A isn’t moving from his perspective, it’s in stasis.

So this allows him to go to timeline B and do his thing for 40 years and then when he decides to return to timeline A, he pinpoints the exact moment he left it to return to. So after seeing him, those inhabiting timeline A perceive that Nathan left them only a moment

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    He is. Probably because he was born in this time but has spent some much time in the timestream. So he’s an anchor to the 616, and a link between past-present-future (hence the name “Cable”; I swear this was said by someone, possibly Jean, at one point).

Also, in that story it was alluded to that he was fighting his ancestor, Jean Grey’s great-great-grandmother or something. But I think that plot thread got dropped. It was kind of cool, though. At least IMO.
    They determined at the end of the run (I think both Rachel and Cable) that the Dark Mother had her looks cosmetically altered to resemble Jean Grey as to confuse Cable. She is in fact not related to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post
    I’ve decided to settle on the following:

In Marvel, if you were looking at the timeline from a top down view - from “the outside”, you’d see that the timeline is in stasis and that it functions independently from other time outside of it...

So now let’s imagine Nathan is looking at the time stream from a top down perspective - when he leaves timeline A and goes to timeline B, the time in timeline A isn’t moving from his perspective, it’s in stasis.

So this allows him to go to timeline B and do his thing for 40 years and then when he decides to return to timeline A, he pinpoints the exact moment he left it to return to. So after seeing him, those inhabiting timeline A perceive that Nathan left them only a moment
    Yes, that's kinda correct. I mean they would notice he's aged 40 years, but otherwise if he returned within seconds of when he left that would be the case. But note that Cable (or Rachel or anyone) does not HAVE to return to the exact moment he entered the timestream. He could return to an earlier point and still have aged the 40 years.