Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is HG Wells' The War of the Worlds in Marvel's 616 universe?

The War of the Worlds is in the original Guardians of the Galaxy universe, which split from the 616 in the 1970s (real time). Wouldn't that mean that the book takes place in the 616 universe?

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yes, Earth 691 as Digifiend mentioned.

But the good news with that is that Marvel could reissue these stories OR continue on with their adventures, without disruption to the 616 universe or 616 Guardians.

I would LOVE to see more of our OG Guardians!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Is Killraven also from Earth-691?

If so, have he and the GoTG?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The War of the Worlds is in the original Guardians of the Galaxy universe, which split from the 616 in the 1970s (real time). Wouldn't that mean that the book takes place in the 616 universe?
    I believe the 691 universe of the Guardians split off from the 616 when Vance Astro met his younger self in Giant Size Defenders #5. I think that is the divergence point anyway. That led to young Vance Astrovik becoming the super hero Justice and member of the New Warriors and Avengers instead of becoming and astronaut like the older Vance Astro did.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 06-14-2023 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Me too! The Classic version will always be legendary (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too! The Classic version will always be legendary (IMHO):

Yes indeed!

Great pic find, K7P5V! I don't think I have ever seen this exact one before

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Is Killraven also from Earth-691?

If so, have he and the GoTG?
    Killraven is in the same continuity as the original Guardians of the Galaxy but they've never met. Jim Valentino said he had plans to make Killraven a descendant of Reed Richards and was going to have an older Killraven join the Guardians. I guess he ended up at Image before he could make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, Earth 691 as Digifiend mentioned.

But the good news with that is that Marvel could reissue these stories OR continue on with their adventures, without disruption to the 616 universe or 616 Guardians.

And bring back some of the other team members besides just the OG's. I want to see Aleta. Talon, Replica, Krugar, Firelord,Hollywood, Phoenix, and Mainframe back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    And bring back some of the other team members besides just the OG's. I want to see Aleta. Talon, Replica, Krugar, Firelord,Hollywood, Phoenix, and Mainframe back too.

Oh, most certainly without a doubt, lol!!

I really liked the expanded team and the Galactic Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Killraven is in the same continuity as the original Guardians of the Galaxy but they've never met. Jim Valentino said he had plans to make Killraven a descendant of Reed Richards and was going to have an older Killraven join the Guardians. I guess he ended up at Image before he could make that happen.
    ^^^Thank you, I never knew that!

^^^I thought Phoenix, and especially Hollywood, we’re really cool concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Thank you, I never knew that!

^^^I thought Phoenix, and especially Hollywood, we’re really cool concepts.
    Yes, I did too!

I forgot about Rita DeMara

I believe the 691 universe of the Guardians split off from the 616 when Vance Astro met his younger self in Giant Size Defenders #5. I think that is the divergence point anyway. That led to young Vance Astrovik becoming the super hero Justice and member of the New Warriors and Avengers instead of becoming and astronaut like the older Vance Astro did.
    While all of this is true. There is actually an earlier split between 616 and 691. In 691, the Martian Masters invaded Earth in 1901, same as the book War of the World's. Then they came back in 2001 and that was told in the Killraven series.

However in 616 they didn't come in 1901, they came in 1907 and again in 1917, as shown in James Robinson's Invaders series.

A fun little bonus from the Wisdom mini, the Martian Masters attempted another Invasion and were defeated, but it introduced the 616 version of Johnathan Raven (Killraven). He's a teen that was sent off the train with Shang-Chi and was never heard from again. I'd love it if they'd bring him back from limbo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    While all of this is true. There is actually an earlier split between 616 and 691. In 691, the Martian Masters invaded Earth in 1901, same as the book War of the World's. Then they came back in 2001 and that was told in the Killraven series.

However in 616 they didn't come in 1901, they came in 1907 and again in 1917, as shown in James Robinson's Invaders series.

A fun little bonus from the Wisdom mini, the Martian Masters attempted another Invasion and were defeated, but it introduced the 616 version of Johnathan Raven (Killraven). He's a teen that was sent off the train with Shang-Chi and was never heard from again. I'd love it if they'd bring him back from limbo.
    I didn't know the martians invaded at a later date. I looked the ages they the novel took place in the MU. Oh well.