Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    It's interesting that he acknowledges that snapping Lord's neck, regardless of it being a defensive move, is a major traumatic event for the character and that she would understand that her relationship to the world would have been forever changed. And I love that he had a year arc for coming to some kind of resolution, and even then, it wouldn't necessarily have "redeemed" her reputation in the DCU. His storyline definitely sounds more interesting than what would have happened, although it's perhaps hard to fit action into a lawsuit storyline, and I'm sure there would have been complaints about the title becoming a legal drama.

I remember reading Peter David's thought on how "the snapping" was an incredible disservice to the character because she would forever be associated with it - that it would shift her fundamental status to the character's detriment. At the time, I thought "Nah - she was justified, and this is comics. Nothing lasts forever." And fifteen years later, that's still a fixed point for her, something that just won't go away.

On a side note, I wonder if, when Rucka sees WW84, he'll be pleasantly surprised that Diana doesn't kill Max in the film?
    Daily reminder that Bruce got more people killed thanks to Brother Eye project and that's barely a remembered footnote these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daily reminder that Bruce got more people killed thanks to Brother Eye project and that's barely a remembered footnote these days.
    Tony Stark was also responsible for most of the villains in the MCU. What's with all these billionaires getting away with terrible inventions that result in mass casualties?

Some things are just fixed notes for characters no matter what. Like Hank Pym backhanding Janet or Jean Grey killing an inhabited planet of 5 billion aliens. Ironically both of those were not the writers intent, Hank was meant to hit Janet on accident and Jean was suppose to destroy an uninhabited planet. Maybe if it had been someone else and not Maxwell that Diana had killed, like Rucka originally planed, that it wouldn't have been such a footnote for her character.

At least Man of Steel took the heat off of Diana with the neck snap, the DCEU wouldn't have been able to have the hero neck snap the villain twice, but it came to the detriment of Superman...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Well, that was the right call. I can enjoy Morrison's run precisely because they drop any references to that garbage

But this stuff sticking to Diana like a bad odor is just ridiculous. The problem is never dropping that stuff for Batman, it's that they don't extend the same courtesy to other characters. Or at least Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Well, that was the right call. I can enjoy Morrison's run precisely because they drop any references to that garbage

But this stuff sticking to Diana like a bad odor is just ridiculous. The problem is never dropping that stuff for Batman, it's that they don't extend the same courtesy to other characters. Or at least Wonder Woman.
    Yeah, that was more the point I was getting at. Every character has something their fans want expunged from the record but Infinite Crisis didn't really do well by anyone in the Trinity but no one's argued on saying that Brother Eye or OMAC should be made part of Batman's world like they have Max Lord or this trope of Batman/Superman taking Diana to task for killing.