Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Striker Z was okay, but I don't think they did anything interesting with his powers. Just because he's powering his tech gadgets doesn't really make him any different from any other guy with tech gadgets as weapons. And it's not like he invented them. He's just a guy who accidentally came to have powers and decided to be a hero because that's what you do when you get powers. He would need a lot more work to be any kind of lead character, imo.

Ryan Choi has a lot more viability if DC decided to push a male asian hero - he's got the heroic legacy, he's had his own title, (complete with backstory and supporting cast which can be re-used) he's been on the Justice League and has appeared in other media.
    I agree that DC is more likely to focus on a diverse legacy character like Ryan-Atom or Keenan-Superman or Cassandra-Batgirl or Lucien-Ray than an original character like Striker Z or Katana or Gloss or Dragonmage.

But I do like some me some original characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It looks like they're differentiating Ryan and Ray by giving Ryan that bulky, cumbersome, Atom suit.
    Making him more like the CW's Legends of Tomorrow's Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    thank you. I'm gonna check this out
    The J-man

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kevin Kho who is Cambodian-American.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/kevin-kho/4005-79803/
    Man, I forgot about some of those New 52 books. Blue Beetle had one and people weren't buying it >
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Striker Z was okay, but I don't think they did anything interesting with his powers. Just because he's powering his tech gadgets doesn't really make him any different from any other guy with tech gadgets as weapons. And it's not like he invented them. He's just a guy who accidentally came to have powers and decided to be a hero because that's what you do when you get powers. He would need a lot more work to be any kind of lead character, imo.
    I think that's a real disservice to Striker Z's character.

To begin with, he didn't become a hero just because he got powers. He was a stuntman prior, gained powers, and used them to further his career

No, he didn't design his weapons, but that's probably just as well. Asian and nerdy is a cliche at this point

His powers and weapons could easily be applied towards a number of action sequences. His celebrity status, grounded in movie making, could fuel countless stories, especially today. He needs little more than a few tweaks and an honest investment on DC's part.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

DC FESTIVAL OF HEROES: THE ASIAN SUPERHERO CELEBRATION #1
    Written by: Gene Luen Yang, Ram V, Greg Pak, Alyssa Wong, Amy Chu, Minh LE, Dustin Nguyen, and others | Art by: Marcus To, Bernard Chang, Dustin Nguyen, Marcio Takara, Trung Le Nguyen, Francis Manapul, and others | Cover by: Jim Lee | Variant cover by: Stanley "Artgerm" Lau | ONE-SHOT | PRESTIGE FORMAT | On Sale: 5/5/21 | $9.99 US | 96 PAGES | FC | DC

Grab your favorite boba and pull a chair up to the dim sum table as we celebrate Asian Heritage Month with all your favorite Asian DC characters, old and new! Join Cassandra Cain, Katana, Green Lantern Tai Pham, the Atom, Dana Tan (a.k.a. Batman Beyond), Red Arrow, Lady Shiva, Damian Wayne and the al Ghul clan, New Super-Man, and more as we present new tales of these characters from their thrilling history! Plus, Cheshire Cat's relationship to Cheshire is revealed as Shoes asks Selina Kyle to take her under her wing as Cat Girl. And that’s just the start!
    I'll pick this up in a $1 box a year+ from now.
    I did that with the 80pg/100pg Giants of Superman, Batman, WW etc and I'm only really interested in the Cassandra and Atom story anyway. Katana to some extent.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    I hope Shang-Chi (the movie) promotes a mini revival in the Kung Fu craze so we can get a martial arts focused DC book, since that whole sphere is pretty diverse in the first place. Williamson is already doing something with his Robin book - I'm keeping an eye out and seeing what he does.
    Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter -- I am so there for that!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.