Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

I agree with what seems like the majority: Excalibur has been a bit of a mess. The characters don't often feel whole, and in fact the cast doesn't seem to have any real reason to be in this book beyond being chosen by the writer or editors: you could swap out Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee and replace them with pretty much anyone and the book would feel the same. Also, whenever I read a new issue, it always feels like I've missed something -- rarely does one issue lead cleanly into the next, in my opinion.

And it's a shame, too -- because Apocalypse's situation was one of the major draws to me in the Dawn of X era, and I wanted to enjoy his sidestory a little more than I did. (And don't get me started on how little this Rictor feels like the one I know from X-Factor and the Shatterstar mini.) I also thought that Betsy becoming Captain Britain was an interesting co-premise for the book; but I just can't seem to find a reason to care what happens to anyone who appears in this book.

That being said, I'm giving X-Corp a chance. I'm excited to see Monet continue to get the spotlight, and perhaps the topic of the book will allow for more success from Howard, due to their actual corporate experience in the real world.

With SWORD, X-Corp, and Way of X joining the line, I may end up dropping some of the more disappointing X books -- Excalibur included.

-Pav, who is glad that New Mutants has really improved these past few months...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

All-New Member

So what ambiguously undercooked concept will it be this time? "Mutant business", "Mutant capitalism"? Was excited for X-Corps, not so much now...

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She ruined Betsy. Never before has she been so boring and bland. Tini's Betsy is a brand new character and not one that I am interested in reading.
    Writing both the Braddock’s in the first Excalibur XoS issue as brats, and Betsy especially angry at Brian over the Captain Britain role really didn’t make me like this version of her. Normally, in these kinds of stories, the role of somebody who is angry at compromising responsibility is the one is meant to show hubris, not the main character, so it’s really put a bad taste in my mouth with Tini’s writing choices. Would have enjoyed Betsy a lot more if she felt more confident in her role after almost 20 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Spit and Syntax View Post
    Writing both the Braddock’s in the first Excalibur XoS issue as brats, and Betsy especially angry at Brian over the Captain Britain role really didn’t make me like this version of her. Normally, in these kinds of stories, the role of somebody who is angry at compromising responsibility is the one is meant to show hubris, not the main character, so it’s really put a bad taste in my mouth with Tini’s writing choices. Would have enjoyed Betsy a lot more if she felt more confident in her role after almost 20 issues.
    I’m usually the last one to defend Tini, but wasn’t that because it was all an act to trick Saturnyne? The issue fell flat for me too but I attributed Betsy’s attitude to the plan to get the sword.

Anyways, I pretty much 100% in agreement with Pav and I’m hopeful that I’ll like Tini’s work on X-Corp.

Extraordinary Member

So Warren, Monet, Madrox and who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    So Warren, Monet, Madrox and who else?
    Well, seeing as it is only a five issue miniseries, there may not be much of a cast.

It's possible that it might even only feature Penance and Archangel.
    Last edited by Thievery; 02-18-2021 at 08:29 AM.

When did Monet become Penance or has she always been able to access those powers?
    Please Remain Calm

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    When did Monet become Penance or has she always been able to access those powers?
    Since Hickman took over.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Did not expect a miniseries, but that’s probably for the best. It means Tini Howard can map out the story properly from beginning to end, which could help with her pacing issues. And since her issue count is limited, she can’t veer off into unecessary filler. Now I wonder if there are any plans for Monet after this, or if she’ll be reduced to cameos again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Well, seeing as it is only a five issue miniseries, there may not be much of a cast.

So this is just a filler miniseries until the relaunch of the X-Men teams again in Hellfire Gala?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’m usually the last one to defend Tini, but wasn’t that because it was all an act to trick Saturnyne? The issue fell flat for me too but I attributed Betsy’s attitude to the plan to get the sword.

Anyways, I pretty much 100% in agreement with Pav and I’m hopeful that I’ll like Tini’s work on X-Corp.
    That makes more sense. I interpreted that the resentment at the start of the issue was healed between the two by mutually tricking Saturnyne at the end, rather than the whole thing being a ploy.

Mighty Member

Where does it say it’s a mini?

The May solicits state it's a five issue mini, but Marvel contacted XavierFiles to say it's an ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Where does it say it’s a mini?
    In the full May solicitations for Marvel comics.

Sucks for me, because it means that Archangel will most likely head back to limbo after this mini is over.

Mighty Member

In the full May solicitations for Marvel comics.

Sucks for me, because it means that Archangel will most likely head back to limbo after this mini is over.
    I’m looking at it here on this site and doesn’t say it’s a mini or 1 of (however many). Does it say it another site?