Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Tini hasn’t been that bad. Some of the high concepts have been a bit difficult to understand sometimes but she’s done wonders for Betsy’s character
    She ruined Betsy. Never before has she been so boring and bland. Tini's Betsy is a brand new character and not one that I am interested in reading.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She ruined Betsy. Never before has she been so boring and bland. Tini's Betsy is a brand new character and not one that I am interested in reading.
    Any adult woman who allows people to call her “Betsy” hasn’t much character in the first place.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Tini hasn’t been that bad. Some of the high concepts have been a bit difficult to understand sometimes but she’s done wonders for Betsy’s character
    When and where?

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Any adult woman who allows people to call her “Betsy” hasn’t much character in the first place.
    Well, that was a take and a half alright.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

At least every O7 member is in a book.
    "Cable was right!"

I don't think she ruined Betsy but she definitely is not as exciting as she was before HoXPoX.

Fantastic Member

More ruined Gambit/Rogue/Jubilee and I don't know about Rictor.

The whole ]A[ whatever thing with Apocalypse was really cringey and close to ruining.

Betsy is just bland as hell now like this whole Excalibur.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

The hyperbole in this thread is strong. Tini Howard hasn't ruined Betsy, or Rogue or Gambit or anyone else. To "ruin" a character she would have had to do lasting harm to the way a character is viewed, and that clearly hasn't happened. Her run is not mired in controversy, characters aren't making deals with the devil to erase a marriage, not randomly murdering other characters and then trying to cover it up "because reasons". It's not retconning into existence long unknown despicable acts by a protagonist or secret hidden love children. She's not introducing Mary Sues or self inserts to argue with the fandom, and to date not a single person has been told to drown in urine. Whatever personal opinions you may have on her run it really isn't that bad.

What it is however, is boring. It's forgettable.

That is why I'm concerned about X-Corp. It's potentially an interesting concept, but Excalibur is full of potentially interesting concepts and I have no faith that Tini can make this one work any better. I'll possibly pick up the 1st issue to see what its about but no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    More ruined Gambit/Rogue/Jubilee and I don't know about Rictor.

The whole ]A[ whatever thing with Apocalypse was really cringey and close to ruining.

Betsy is just bland as hell now like this whole Excalibur.
    She hasn't ruined Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee, it is just that she has done nothing even remotely interesting with them. Same with Betsy. I agree with the others that she is extremely bland in this series. Rictor on the other hand has been a bit unlikable and annoying to me personally in Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    The hyperbole in this thread is strong. Tini Howard hasn't ruined Betsy, or Rogue or Gambit or anyone else. To "ruin" a character she would have had to do lasting harm to the way a character is viewed, and that clearly hasn't happened. Her run is not mired in controversy, characters aren't making deals with the devil to erase a marriage, not randomly murdering other characters and then trying to cover it up "because reasons". It's not retconning into existence long unknown despicable acts by a protagonist or secret hidden love children. She's not introducing Mary Sues or self inserts to argue with the fandom, and to date not a single person has been told to drown in urine. Whatever personal opinions you may have on her run it really isn't that bad.

What it is however, is boring. It's forgettable.
    Yeah, I super agree with this. That is the reason I didn't vote Excalibur or Howard as the very worst ongoing or writer in the CBR forums poll(I think I listed them both as third worst). Excalibur is not damaging to the characters or the franchise, it is just really, really boring and not well told. It is a shame too, because it has all the ingredients needed to make it my favorite x-title if it was written by someone else. I loved the old Excalibur title, it has some of my absolute favorite characters in it(Gambit and Rogue), I love the Braddock family, I love magic stories in comics, and I love Otherworld. I just don't understand how she could drop the ball with all that in her favor and it frustrates me that my favorite characters are stuck in it and nothing is really being done with them in this new era.
    Last edited by thjan; 02-16-2021 at 08:09 PM.

Fantastic Member

Honestly Shogo is the worst thing to happen to Jubilee. She's saddled with him and this whole run it's all Shogo this Shogo that. While Gambit just whined about Rogue while Rogue has done nothing. I mean maybe Excalibur isn't damaging but yes it's forgettable and just wasting good characters....

which is probably going to lead to more in X-Corp though I guess Warren and Monet weren't doing much otherwise.

Mighty Member

Honestly Shogo is the worst thing to happen to Jubilee. She's saddled with him and this whole run it's all Shogo this Shogo that. While Gambit just whined about Rogue while Rogue has done nothing. I mean maybe Excalibur isn't damaging but yes it's forgettable and just wasting good characters....

which is probably going to lead to more in X-Corp though I guess Warren and Monet weren't doing much otherwise.
    Rogue told Marianna Stern to “git” when fake Betsy arrived asking for help. So I guess she did something.
    Though it was probably Morgan asking Marianna for help, really.

Yeah, waste is a good word for it. And not just a waste of the characters, but a waste of all the incredible potential Excalibur had.

I too have my doubts that Howard will be able to better realize the potential an X-Corp offers either.

Mighty Member

A corporate book. She said she comes from a corporate background. She made magic and fantasy boring. I can’t see how she’s going to make this interesting. Unless hostile takeovers are on the battle field or it’s more than just what this seems, then this is going to be a miss. I’ll wait until people have read it. And not just the stans that love everything she does

Monet looks weird but I like Tini's Monet. The concept is interesting.

I'm giving this book a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post

That is why I'm concerned about X-Corp. It's potentially an interesting concept, but Excalibur is full of potentially interesting concepts and I have no faith that Tini can make this one work any better. I'll possibly pick up the 1st issue to see what its about but no guarantees.
    Excalibur has interesting concepts but in the wrong genre for it really have an impact X-men is more superhero scifi franchise that dabbles in fantasy. X-men need a far greater fantasy focus for Excalibur to work well imo or a strong story hook at least. X-corps looks to have boardroom procedural stuff which will lend itself more more scifish area. This is far more straight forward and is more in the natural progression of the story with Krakoa selling drugs and being a sort of company. I can't tell you to this day what is great about Mutant Magic.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-17-2021 at 05:11 AM.