Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default What comics did you read when you first started DC?

When you originally started reading DC Comics, which comics started you off?

Action Comics, Superman, The Adventures of Superman, Superman: The Man of Steel.

He's what I was all about, and still largely am to this day. But back as a kid I didn't bother to branch out at all. It was just Big Blue.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Justice League of America in the 70s.

It was my favorite book for years.

All-New Member

The Spanish versions of Superman and Batman comics. They were like an "anthology" with all the regular series published back then. It was a bit before Infinite Crisis, so they were like 3 or 4 comics each (Action, Superman, Adventures of, Detective, Batman, LoTDK) ... When I switched to original versions (after IC) I pulled in Action, Superman, Detective, Batman, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Green Lantern, GLC, Wonder Woman and Nightwing.

The Flash (Wally years)

Green Lantern (Kyle years)

Superman (also 90s)
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Aside from a handful of golden age bit and pieces just to see early material over the years, I started reading DC "for real" in 2015ish. I had read about Stephanie Brown, and liked the idea of an independent hero who wouldn't take off the cape (figuratively) when Batman told her to. So you may guess I like her as Spoiler more than Batgirl. Anyway, I started with her first appearance in 'Tec and then binge-read the first 113 issues of Robin. From there I went to Nightwing, then BoP. Then I read (not sure on order), Young Justice, Superboy, and Impulse. Read original Teen Titans for completionist sake, mostly, as it didn't do a lot for me. I tried silver age Flash for early Wally, but ended up going back to the beginning because I just fell in love with Barry as character. At some time I read the NTT up through some time '92 (so much better in the Perez years). Read the satellite era JLA, and the same-era Green Arrow. After that (or maybe during that), it gets hazy on what I read when.

It took me way too long to figure out that was Ravens leg and not Batmans mask

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Justice League of America
    New Teen Titans
    Legion of Super-Heroes
    Batman and the Outsiders
    Firestorm
    Wonder Woman (mostly for Huntress)
    All-Star Squadron
    Batman/Detective Comics
    And some random DC Digests (Best of DC and Blue Ribbon Digest)

Then Crisis on Infinite Earths a few years later.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Ultimate Member

Justice League, Brave and the Bold, Action Comics and Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes first.

I very much preferred team books, or books with two or more protagonists riffing off of each other (or a rotating cast). Later it became Legion of Super-Heroes and Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, and to a lesser extent, Batman & the Outsiders, Swamp Thing (one of my few solo books), Young Justice, etc.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Waid's the Flash was the big one for me. Also Gerard Jones' Green Lantern, Justice League America and Justice League Europe, both the Jones and Jurgens stuff and back issues of Giffen/ Dematteis, the Jim Aparo and Norm Breyfogle Batman and the triangle era of Superman.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

As a child? Batman #1
    As an adult? Batman #1

Not actual original Batman #1. My very first Batman #1 was a compilation of Golden Age stories collected in a book called Batman #1

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Reign of the Supermen, translated in italian.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 02-12-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Batman: Endgame, We are Robin, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Midnight & Apollo
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Infinite Crisis
    Batman: War Games
    Superman: Up Up and Away
    Green Lantern Rebirth

Retired

Since I was looking at comics from the time I was a crawling baby, it's hard to say. My older brother and sisters bought comics, so those were the ones I was looking at. I know that we all really liked SUGAR & SPIKE and I still have a little hand-made envelope containing Sugar and Spike paper dolls cut out from the comic book and their cut out outfits--which likely one of my sisters worked on and saved, but that somehow ended up in my things. That would have been cut out sometime in the early 1960s.

My siblings tended to prefer Archie, Dell and Harvey comics--so not a lot of National Periodicals. One comic I did manage to theft from their stacks of comics was this issue of THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE, which I still have--

I think my family also had a taste for THE ADVENTURES OF JERRY LEWIS.

Since there was a second-hand bookstore nearby, which bought and sold old comics, my brother and sisters probably trotted over their to sell off the family fortune--you could get two cents for an old comic book! so who could pass up that opportunity. And a lot of the other comics they had were torn to shreds by an over-active baby brother in the house.

I do vaguely remember seeing a Superman comic book. But I didn't get into the super-heroes until after BATMAN came on T.V. in January 1966--that's what got me to spend my allowance on comic books, rather being content to just read other people's comics.