Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

So I'm like the only person on this message board that read other genres from the publisher, before I got into super-heroes--apparently. No wonder I feel so alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    So I'm like the only person on this message board that read other genres from the publisher, before I got into super-heroes--apparently. No wonder I feel so alone.
    Not before I got into super-heroes, but I had a random issue of DC Special with the 3 Musketeers and Robin Hood, and a an issue of G.I. Combat among the early DCs I got and read. And I read some House of Mystery/House of Secrets issues at a cousins. so I read other genres concurrently with the DC super-hero books.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The first comic I ever owned was The Pink Panther by Gold Key in 1972, but since it wasn't from DC, I didn't mention it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Adventures in the DC Universe 3#

It was a book drawn in the style of BTAS but featuring other DC characters. It wasn’t in the BTAS continuity though.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The first comic I ever owned was The Pink Panther by Gold Key in 1972, but since it wasn't from DC, I didn't mention it.
    When I was a kid of about five, it seemed to me and every kid on the street that the kind of comics you read were the funny ones or the ones based on a T.V. show or movie. Those were the most popular. I knew that Superman existed, because he was in reruns on the T.V.--but there was no supply of Superman comics in my neighourhood. We read DENNIS THE MENACE, STUMBO, LITTLE ARCHIE, LITTLE LULU, CASPER, BORIS KARLOFF, BOB HOPE, THE FLINTSTONES, MICKEY MOUSE, SUGAR & SPIKE, YOGI BEAR, HOT STUFF, JUGHEAD, JERRY LEWIS, BONANZA, FOX & CROW. The classics.

When I was a kid of about five, it seemed to me and every kid on the street that the kind of comics you read were the funny ones or the ones based on a T.V. show or movie. Those were the most popular. I knew that Superman existed, because he was in reruns on the T.V.--but there was no supply of Superman comics in my neighourhood. We read DENNIS THE MENACE, STUMBO, LITTLE ARCHIE, LITTLE LULU, CASPER, BORIS KARLOFF, BOB HOPE, THE FLINTSTONES, MICKEY MOUSE, SUGAR & SPIKE, YOGI BEAR, HOT STUFF, JUGHEAD, JERRY LEWIS, BONANZA, FOX & CROW. The classics.
    I started reading comics by reading the Sunday funnies with my dad. Then reading some of those 70s paperback collections of things like Beetle Bailey and Hagar my dad had. I first read comic books when my parents were in a bowling league on Sunday nights and people would bring comics for their kids to read at the bowling alley, and it was mostly Gold Key/Charlton stuff based on cartoons and such, I remember things like Scooby Doo, the Harlem Globetrotters, Hair Bear Bunch, Star Trek, etc.. The first comic I remember getting off a spinner rack at a drug store that my parents bought and I took home though was Batman #250.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Justice League, because they were the Ultimate team.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I started reading comics by reading the Sunday funnies with my dad. Then reading some of those 70s paperback collections of things like Beetle Bailey and Hagar my dad had. I first read comic books when my parents were in a bowling league on Sunday nights and people would bring comics for their kids to read at the bowling alley, and it was mostly Gold Key/Charlton stuff based on cartoons and such, I remember things like Scooby Doo, the Harlem Globetrotters, Hair Bear Bunch, Star Trek, etc.. The first comic I remember getting off a spinner rack at a drug store that my parents bought and I took home though was Batman #250.

-M
    I spent all the money from my allowance, birthdays and Christmases on Charlie Brown books--from about the age of 5, I think--whenever I could find them. No matter where my parents took me, I was on the look-out for those paperbacks. So I had no money for comic books--but I didn't think to even buy comics, because in every neighbour and cousin's house there were stacks of comic books to read. So I was mainly guided by what my family and friends were reading, for what comics I read next. But getting Charlie Brown books was my main pursuit in life until Batman came along.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I would say by the time I was actively purchasing comics during the mid-'70s, the boys were reading mostly superhero comics (war, horror/sci-fi/fantasy, and western, too - can't forget MAD!), while the girls who read comics read Archie, Disney, etc...
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Depending on when you started, there weren't always other genres to choose from. Western, horror, romance, etc. comics were hard to come cross in the early 90's if you didn't have access to a direct market shop. It wasn't until Vertigo popped up that I even realized there were other comic books besides superheroes and Archie.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Watchmen was my very first DC comic

I started reading in the early 2000s. After reading and really enjoying Geoff Johns' Avengers, I decided to read his Flash (207), Teen Titans (8) and JSA (59). I also picked up Green Arrow (34) and Batman (620) around the same time.

I started early 00’s but I mixed it as I also got trades from the 90’s so I started with Young Justice, Geoff John’s Justice Society, Geoff John’s Green Lantern: Rebirth, and the biggest mistake I probably started out with, Infinite Crisis.

Yes I started out my comic reading career with the big return of Hal Jordan and the retconning of Parallax, as well as the big continuity shifting sequel to Crisis on Infinite Earth’s. I had a lot of questions for my comic book store in my early days, probably why I’m pretty okay with big crazy events and continuity shifts when you start out on one.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm old, so...'Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew' was the first book I regularly collected. Then 'Batman and the Outsiders' based on an ad I saw in 'CCAHAZC', and it just exploded from there! (sigh)
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

All-New Member

I started in 1972 with the 25 cents for 52 page titles and I went for the big names: Batman and Superman. As I collected over the next few years, the DC titles that I gravitated toward the most were World's Finest, Brave and the Bold, and Shazam. Although, when the 50 and 60 cent giants came out, I really went after those hard! They usually were packed with reprints of stories from the 40's-60's. While that might not sound great now, for a 7-9 year old that was just getting into comics, getting to read those early stories was amazing! And the Famous First Editions kind of sealed the deal.

Ironically, in the late 70's, I developed this completionist attitude that was basically "since I can't ever get complete sets of the DC books, I won't collect them". So, I went Marvel only for a few years. Then All-Star Squadron came out and the Baxter books and DC pulled me back in...