Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
    I started in 1972 with the 25 cents for 52 page titles and I went for the big names: Batman and Superman. As I collected over the next few years, the DC titles that I gravitated toward the most were World's Finest, Brave and the Bold, and Shazam. Although, when the 50 and 60 cent giants came out, I really went after those hard! They usually were packed with reprints of stories from the 40's-60's. While that might not sound great now, for a 7-9 year old that was just getting into comics, getting to read those early stories was amazing! And the Famous First Editions kind of sealed the deal.
    I loved all those old reprints myself, especially when I realized while reading one that my father had told me the plot almost verbatim years earlier.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I started reading comics by reading the Sunday funnies with my dad.
    Same here. In fact, it was the first thing I recall reading on my own regularly back then (I loved reading the movie ads, too, especially if they were horror flicks).

Retired

Not only did I read the funnies, but I would collect the pages from some of the Sunday features--like Winnie the Pooh, Charlie Brown, Batman and Tarzan--but I guess they all got thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not only did I read the funnies, but I would collect the pages from some of the Sunday features--like Winnie the Pooh, Charlie Brown, Batman and Tarzan--but I guess they all got thrown out.
    I had a whole shoebox collection of Dick Tracy Crimestopper do's and don'ts back in the '70s, Jim.

When I first got into comics I bought Batman almost exclusively to the point where I almost didn't bother with other DC characters. Occasionally I borrowed a Superman or Wonder Woman comic book from a friend. As I got older I began to branch out and buy other titles from DC like Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Zatanna, Wonder Woman, Justice Society, etc.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

When I first started reading DC comics it was Batman and Justice League titles.

Incredible Member

Growing up watching the Super Friends and Superman films I was already familiar with DC but my collection consisted at first of Transformers and G.I.Joe comics.

Around 1987 living in Ecuador I happened upon a Superman / Batman Spanish comic that reprinted early 80's material and from there I was hooked.

Retired

As I've said, I never bought my own comic books (just read others' comics) until after Batman appeared on T.V. in 1966 and then I started to buy various comic books. However, between Batman appearing on T.V. and buying comic books, I was already buying Batman bubble gum cards from Topps. They also put out the comic book Foldees. Those are dated 1966, but I feel like I didn't start to get them until 1967 and after I'd started buying the comics. The Foldees feature so many different D.C. characters, I'm sure I was introduced to a lot of them through these cards first.

I kept all my Foldees in my brother's old football helmet. But somewhere along the way, the hemet and these were also thrown out (my parents threw out so many things, it's a wonder that I managed to keep anything). But awhile back, I bought the complete set of Foldees on eBay.