Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I wonder if I'm in the minority in liking the first Jimmy more. Even way back in the 1990s, I thought the second Jimmy was someone they cast to be more hip, and IMO Jimmy isn't supposed to be particularly hip.
    Back in the old days, it seems Jimmy #1 was more popular than Jimmy #2. I preferred #2. Mind you, while I don't think Jimmy needs to be particularly hip, I deeply dislike dweeb/buttmonkey Jimmy and preferred him when played straight rather than zany and as a competent and intelligent person (I really did like radio show Jimmy and am not a silver age Supes fan).

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Back in the old days, it seems Jimmy #1 was more popular than Jimmy #2. I preferred #2. Mind you, while I don't think Jimmy needs to be particularly hip, I deeply dislike dweeb/buttmonkey Jimmy and preferred him when played straight rather than zany and as a competent and intelligent person (I really did like radio show Jimmy and am not a silver age Supes fan).
    Yeah Jimmy is a supporting character who sometimes does errands, but he's not a full-time errand boy. Also the same is true of using him for comic relief.

As for the talk show host thing... Jimmy vs Leslie could be fun.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I liked both Jimmy's. I thought the first one was a nice modernization of the classic version and I thought he had great chemistry with Teri Hatcher and Lane Smith. The second Jimmy I felt was more Superman/Clark's pal and apparently Dean Cain and Justin Whalen were good friends,so that carried over well.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Retired

Rewatching

--season 2, 1994 - 95--

Creative changes:

Why did they get rid of Deborah Joy Levine?

I gather that ratings were not as high as they hoped in the first season, so they made some creative changes in the second season, but I liked what Levine brought to the franchise. Apparently the changes did improve the ratings--and this might have been the most successful season of the whole run.

There's a lot more comic book villains and stunt casting in this season. And a lot of over-acting--which doesn't work so well for me.

Throughout season 2, Lois and Clark grow closer and it ends with Clark popping the question--but we're left to wait until next season for the answer.

I understand why the "will they/won't they" plot becomes tedious if dragged out too long. But it was hardly dragged out on this show. They could have teased this out a lot longer. I think they were too quick to give the audience what they were demanding. They needed to hold more back for audiences to keep coming back.

Also, the romance shouldn't be the whole point of the show. I like to see Lane and Kent working as investigative reporters to uncover a big story.

Ma and Pa Kent must spend a fortune on air travel, given the amount of times they fly between Kansas and Metropolis, to see their son, Clark Jerome Kent. I like the acting from Eddie Jones and K Callan, but working them into the show requires some back-bending gymnastics.

Favourite episodes:

--"Church of Metropolis," episode 5--introduces D.A. Mayson Drake (Farrah Forke)--also Intergang.

--"Season's Greedings," episode 9--written by Dean Cain, it conforms to all the holiday cliches, but that's what you want in a Christmas episode.

--"The Phoenix," episode 13--another story where Lane and Kent spy on someone together. Clark and Lois stay overnight at the marina apartment of Perry's friend, to stake out lawyer Bender's boat--and share a night of passion. Meanwhile, a lot is going on with the return of Lex Luthor. An impressive episode for all the juggling of plots and characters.

--"Whine, Whine, Whine," episode 21--a crazy plot about a guitarist (played by Jason Carter from BABYLON 5) who sues Superman for injuries--jam packed with guest star walk-ons and cameos.

Daily Planet:

No Cat Grant (Tracy Scoggins), no Jack (Chris Demetral).

Justin Whalin subs in for Michael Landes as James Bartholomew Olsen. The new Jimmy is an amalgam of Landes and Demetral. Olsen wears Lois Lane's dress in "The Return of the Prankster," keeping up Jimmy's cross dressing image. Perry and Jimmy in the season finale, "And the Answer is . . . ," say that they're like supporting characters in a T.V. show who only exist to advance the plot for Lois and Clark--and they vow to have their own stories from now on.

Perry (Lane Smith) says, in "Top Copy," that some people think he looks like Richard Nixon. In fact, Lane Smith played Richard Nixon in THE FINAL DAYS (1989), a T.V. movie about the end of Nixon's presidency, based on the book by Woodward and Bernstein.

Angela (Denise Richards) is a staffer at the Planet, who goes out with Jimmy, in "Season's Greetings." Angela only appears in that one episode, but she's mentioned in others. Clark gives up his tickets to the Pearl Jam concert to Jimmy who takes Angela and scores big with her (off screen). Finally, Jimmy says that Angela has broken up with him for a guy in a Ferrari. Richards starred as Carmen Ibanez in STARSHIP TROOPERS (1997).

Lucy Lane returns but is played by a different actress (Roxana Zal); however, she's only in one episode this season, "Metallo," although mentioned in a few other episodes.

Joe Ochman plays an unnamed staffer at the Planet, in four episodes, appearing in the background and sometimes getting a line or two. And various other actors have individual episodes as staffers, but I wish the Planet newsroom had more recurring characters, rather than it always being Perry, Clark, Lois and Jimmy.

Bobby Big Mouth (Sal Viscuso) shows up in several episodes. Lois and Clark's informant, they have to bring him quality food in exchange for his scoops.

Stuart Hofferman (Peter Scolari) is "The Source" that Lois must protect despite legal pressure to reveal him. Scolari was Henry/Hildegard Desmond on BOSOM BUDDIES (1980 - 82) and Michael Harris on NEWHART (1982 - 90).
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-08-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Retired

More rewatching

--season 2, 1994 - 95--

Metropolis:

No Inspector Henderson this season.

Mayson Drake (Farrah Forke), district attorney, falls in love with Clark Kent immediately and becomes a rival to Lois for his affections. She doesn't like Lois or Superman. Forke's portrayal of Mayson Drake is really effective. If I had my way, she would have stuck around a lot longer and more would have come of her romance with Clark.

Dr. Emil Hamilton (John Pleshette) is a renegade scientist in his first appearance, when he clones gangsters of the past, but in his second appearance he helps foil the Prankster's plot. As with the comic book character, I assume he's called Hamilton for science fiction and Superman writer Edmond Hamilton.

Agent Daniel Scardino (Jim Pirri) swoops in on Lois--after Mayson meets her tragic end. As much as I admire Mayson Drake as a love interest for Clark, that's how much I hate Danny Scardino as a love interest for Lois.

Molly Flynn (Melora Hardin) is the quirky college friend of Lois, in "Operation Blackout." Hardin was Trudy on MONK and Jan on THE OFFICE.

Marlin Pfinch-Lupus (Martin Mull) hosts a T.V. nature program, in "Whine, Whine, Whine." Mull was Hamlin Rule, "The Pied Piper," on WONDER WOMAN (1975 - 79), your typical rock star villain that uses sound for his crimes.

Jerry Retchen (Adam West) is the host of The Jerry Show, in "Whine, Whine, Whine." West was Bruce (Batman) Wayne on BATMAN (1966 - 69).

Frank Gorshin plays a cut-throat lawyer, in "Whine, Whine, Whine." Gorshin was the Riddler on BATMAN (1966 - 69).

The Luthor gang:

Lex Luthor (John Shea), at the end of last season, jumped from the top of Lex Tower--the tallest building in Metropolis--to the ground below. Somehow his body survives the fall and he returns in "The Phoenix," although his hair falls out (including his eyebrows).

Ariana Carlin Luthor, a. k. a. "Madame Ex" the former Mrs. Luthor (Emma Samms), shows up in the first episode to get revenge on Lois Lane. Samms is Holly Sutton on GENERAL HOSPITAL (1963 - present).

Dr. Gretchen Kelly (Denise Crosby) is the scientist in charge of trying to find a way to bring Lex back to life, as she eventually succeeds in doing, in "The Phoenix." Crosby played Rebecca Frost on THE FLASH (1990 - 91), in "Deadly Nightshade."

Nigel St. John (Tony Jay) returns in "The Phoenix" but betrays Lex for Intergang. He shows up again in the season finale.

Sheldon Bender (Barry Livingston), is the Luthor lawyer, who sleeps with the fishes by the end. Livingston played Ernie, the adopted son of Steve Douglas on MY THREE SONS (1963 - 72).

Mrs. Cox is mentioned in dialogue when Gretchen accidentally gives super-powers to Resplendent Man, in "A Bolt from the Blue."

Intergang and other villains:

Bill Church, Sr. (Peter Boyle) owns Costmart--an international retail chain like Walmart or Costco--but he's actually the head of Intergang. Boyle was John Lennon's best man, when the Beatle married Yoko Ono in 1969 and John was Peter's best man at his wedding in 1977; Boyle played the Monster in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974).

Bill Church, Jr. (Bruce Campbell) takes over Costmart and Intergang when his father retires. Campbell is Ash in the Evil Dead movies, starred as Brisco County, Jr., in THE ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY, JR. (1993 - 94) and played Jack in JACK OF ALL TRADES (2000).

Mr. Daryl (Robert Culp), a top Intergang member gives instructions over video screen in two episodes. Culp was the murderer several times over on COLUMBO (1971 - 2000) and played Bill Maxwell on THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO (1981 -86).

Diana Stride (Raquel Welch ), host of "Top Copy," actually works for Intergang, getting her orders from Mr. Daryl. Welch was Cora in FANTASTIC VOYAGE (1966) and Constance Bonacieux in THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1973) and THE FOUR MUSKETEERS (1974).

Lenny Stoke (Michael Des Barres) is your typical rock star villain that uses sound for his crimes, in "Wall of Sound."

The Prankster, a. k. a. Kyle Griffin (Bronson Pinchot), has two episodes, but Pinchot's pranks aren't fun for me. Pinchot was one of the 2% of the world's population that disappeared, according to THE LEFTOVERS (2014 - 17).

The Toyman, a. k. a. Winslow Schott (Sherman Hemsley), and Margaret Duffy (Isabel Sanford) launch a line of toy rats, in "Season's Greedings." Hemsley and Sanford starred as George and Louise ("Weezy") Jefferson in THE JEFFERSONS (1975 - 85).

Metallo, a. k. a. Johnny Corben (Scott Valentine), is Lucy's no good boyfriend.

Rollie Vale (Christian Clemensen), with his brother, creates "Metallo"--and he returns in "The Phoenix" with a Metallo Kryptonite arm.

Dr. Harry Leit, a.k.a. "Dr. Light" (David Bowe), blinds Superman with ultra violet light, in "The Eyes Have It."

Tempus (Lane Davies) arrives in Metropolis with H. G. Wells (Terry Kiser), in "Tempus Fugitive." Love Wells, hate Tempus. This fantastic journey augurs the direction the series will take in the final two seasons.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-08-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Retired

--season 3, 1995 - 1996--

Overview:

--Season 3 picks up where season 2 ended, with Clark proposing to Lois; however, she says, "Who's asking, Clark or Superman?" revealing that she's figured out they are one and the same. Lois doesn't give Clark her answer and this is played out for the first half of the season. Other ongoing plots are the National Intelligence Agency, which has rogue elements Lois and Clark are investigating, and all the intrigue involving Intergang.

The producers kept the audience waiting and waiting for the wedding of Lois and Clark--and then it never actually happened in this season, as the Lois at the wedding is a clone. And further plot twists followed, with finally Clark supposedly being married to Zara (a.k.a Sarah, played by Justine Bateman) and going off to New Krypton with her in the season finale.

I remember when that finale first aired, while I really liked Justine Bateman from FAMILY TIES, I hated this whole New Krypton storyline. I never like it when more surviving Kryptonians show up out of the blue. And this whole plot was just so boring and unoriginal--it killed my interest in watching the series from then on.

Best episodes:

--In "Super Mann" (episode 9), three young, fair-haired Nazis were brought out of suspended animation two years before and assumed the lives of Steve Law (Sean Kanan)--football quarterback--Hank West (Paul Kersey)--country & western singer--and Lisa Rockford (Sandra Hess)--super-model. Turns out there are a lot of Nazis in the United States, ready for a charismatic leader like Steve Law to ignite a populist uprising of fascists and take over the country. Skip Wallace (Sean Whalen) is an underling at the Planet, who embraces the new order and revels in his power over the rest of the Planet staff. At the end, Perry is demoralized to discover a high-ranking senator, that he considered a friend, was a Nazi all along. In fact, all over America, there are still secret Nazis everywhere, just waiting for another chance to take over the government. Watching this now, given all that has happened in the United States, I was shaken. This isn't fantasy, it's reality.

--The previous season had a great holiday episode, but "Home is Where the Hurt is" (episode 11) is even better. The season 3 opener introduced Mindy Church played wonderfully by Jessica Collins. In that episode, Bill Church, Sr., returned after a heart attack, now married to his nurse, Mindy, and determined to dismantle Intergang and do good. However, Mindy and Bill Church, Jr., schemed against him. In the end, father and son got sent up the river, leaving Mindy to take over Intergang. In episode 11, Mindy hires the Handyman to develop a Kryptonian virus to kill Superman. Meanwhile, the divorced parents of Lois Lane both come to visit for the holidays and Dr. Lane brings his sex doll girlfriend with him.

--"Double Jeopardy" (episode 16) picks up where the previous episode left off, with Clark having married a clone of Lois, while Lex Luthor (John Shea) has abducted the genuine article. Jimmy and Perry find a novel that Lois wrote two years ago on her work computer. In the novel, the main character is Wanda Detroit, a singer in a dive bar, who is pursued by a jerk named Clark, while the man she really loves is a hero named Kent. After the real Lois escapes from Lex, she loses her memory and believes she's Wanda Detroit. She gets a job as a singer at a bar owned by Bibbo Bibowski (Troy Evans). Meanwhile, Clark has to contend with the clone of Lois. The whole episode is a tour de force by Teri Hatcher who plays Wanda Detroit and the clone as very distinct characters from her Lois Lane. This performance should have won her an Emmy.

Retired

--season 3, 1995 - 1996--

Easter eggs, call-outs and trivia:

--Episode 1 "We Have a Lot to Talk About": Bobby Bigmouth returns. The Churches have in their secret collection Gainsborough's "Yellow Boy," which Lex was shown to have in season 1, episode 16, "Foundling."

--Episode 3 "Contact" introduces Lois' neighbour and psychic friend, Star (Olivia Brown). One of Star's clients is Mr. Schaffenberger. Lois thinks she was abducted by aliens and wears a tinfoil hat.

--Episodes 1 and 2 have the intro from season 2, but episode 3 onward has the updated intro, showing Lois with her shorter haircut, which she has beginning in that episode, it makes her look more like her mother, Phyllis Coates.

--Episode 4 "When Irish Eyes Are Killing": Speaking of Phyllis Coates, the Daily Planet charity auction is raising money for the Coates Home for Children--one of the people at the auction is called Brenda Bessolo--George Reeves' actual name was George Bessolo. Dennis O'Neil is the owner of a Druid mask. When Clark calls O'Neil, he gives the alias of Glenn Whitmore (Whitmore is a long time colourist on the Superman comics).

--Episode 5 "Just Say Noah": We glimpse Alice White. At this point Alice and Perry are on good terms in their marriage.

--Episode 6 "Don't Tug on Superman's Cape": The guest villains are Tim and Amber Lake--Jonathan Frakes and Genie Francis, married in real life. Background player Joe Ochman shows up again as a Daily Planet staffer. Dr. Bernard Klein (Kenneth Kimmins) debuts as a S.T.A.R. scientist--he replaces Emil Hamilton as the scientist that Lois and Clark always consult--if Hamilton was named for Edmond Hamilton then maybe Klein is a tribute to George Klein, the inker from the 1960s Superman comics. The Lakes collect rare items and presumably own the Batmobile. Three fantasy sequences are in this episode--I LOVE LUCY, James Bond THE SPY WHO LEFT ME, DRAGNET. In the LUCY fantasy, Lois dresses up as a Super-Woman--just as Lucy did when she met Superman (George Reeves) in "Lucy and Superman" (season 6, episode 13); Lois is a Bond Girl, Miss Goodbottom in the James Bond fantasy--Hatcher would later play a Bond Girl--Paris Carver--in TOMORROW NEVER DIES (1997); in the DRAGNET fantasy, Perry is the Friday character and Jimmy is his fast-talking partner.

--Episode 7 "Ultra Woman": When Superman is hit by a Red Kryptonite beam his powers are transferred to Lois who becomes "Ultra Woman." Superman is said to have no more powers than Batman. Jimmy gets a call about a suicide jumper at Giordano & Adams. Alice leaves Perry--from this point on Perry's love life becomes a concern.

--Episode 8 "Chip Off the Old Clark": Dave Coulier plays the actual Anonymous not in disguise.

--Episode 9 "Super Mann": "Jim Mooney" is Perry's contact at the White House. The Nazis watch an episode of PERFECT STRANGERS, with Bronson Pinchot as Balki, even though Pinchot played the Prankster in the previous season.

--Episode 10 "Virtually Destroyed": Mr. X. is Jaxon Xavier Luthor, Luthor's son (played by Andy Berman). In the virtual reality Metropolis, there's an Italian restaurant called Restaurante D'Esposito--I'd like to think it's for inker Mike Esposito but it's more likely a tribute to the assistant director Anthony D'Esposito. Dean Cain wrote the script.

--Episode 11 "Home is Where the Hurt is": Lois' parents are now played by different actors--previously they were played by Denis Arndt (season 1, episode 5) and Phyllis Coates (season 1, episode 21)--now they're played by Harve Presnell and Beverly Garland, who played the second wife of Steve Douglas on MY THREE SONS--the same show that had Ernie Douglas played by Barry Livingston, who was Luthor's lawyer, Sheldon Bender, in season 2.

--episode 12 "Never on Sunday": Cress Willliams--who now stars as BLACK LIGHTNING--plays Baron Sunday. Baron Sunday was created by John Byrne, making his first appearance in SUPERMAN 26 (not cover dated--approximate cover date December 1988). Gary Dourdon plays Baron Sunday's flunky, Ziggy--Dourdon would go on to play Warrick Brown on CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION. Famed singer-actress Carol Lawrence plays Lois and Clark's wedding planner, Beverly Lipman. Clark gives his birthday as February 28, 1966--sometimes Superman's birthday was said to be February 29th, but since 1966 was not a leap year, the 28th would have to do. Superman has a flashback of his origin on Krypton with his parents putting him in the capsule and sending him into space.

--Episode 13 "The Dad Who Came in from the Cold": Jimmy's dad, Jack Olsen (James Read), is a spy for the N.I.A. Sweet Tart (Una Damon) is another N.I.A. agent.

--Episode 14 "Tempus, Anyone?": H.G. Wells is played by a different actor (Hamilton Camp) and is supposed to be 17 years older than in his previous appearance. Emily Procter plays Lana Lang--Procter would play Ainsley Hayes on THE WEST WING. Alternate universe Clark wears glasses even though he has no secret identity. Elvis is still alive and was previously president in the alternate universe. There's a Carlin Avenue in the alternate universe. Lois died in the alternate universe and on her headstone the year of her birth is 1967--making her one year younger than Clark (Hatcher is actually one and a half years older than Cain).

--Episode 15: "I Now Pronounce You . . .": Tony Curtis plays Dr. Mamba, Fred Willard plays President Garner and Brad Garrett plays Reverend Bob. This episode was dedicated to the memory of Jerry Siegel who had passed away two weeks before the air date. Luthor's pardon from the fake President Garner reads:

After reviewing the application for executive clemency of the following named person, and giving consideration to a letter of the attorney general recommending executive clemency, he is hereby granted full and unconditional pardon LEX LUTHOR In Commuting his sentence of two life sentences, the aforesaid persons should never have any rights, privileges, claims, or benefits arising under the parole laws of the United States and the regulations promulgated thereunder, and if you can read this, we are really staying too long on this shot. Is hereby granted the foregoing rights, privileges, claims and benefits of parole.

--Episode 17 "Seconds": Luthor arranges to meet Clark at Steranko & Kirby. An uncredited Timothy Busfield appears as the spy guy that gives Lex the blowdryer-like device to kill Superman.

--Episode 19 "Oedipus Wrecks": Herkimer Johnson (Daniel Roebuck) suffers from Tommy Smothers Syndrome according to Dr. Deter (Larry Poindexter). Everyone at the Planet dance to the boom box song--"heyba heyba, hoba hooba haba"--not sure what this song is really called, anyone know?

--Episode 20 "It's a Small World After All": Teri Hatcher wrote the story. Lois went to high school in Metropolis--funny that her mother, father and sister all moved away, yet Lois stayed.

--Episode 21 "Through a Glass, Darkly": One of the astronauts on the space station is named "Bob Rozakis"; Swan and Jurgens are two staffers at the Planet; Binder is a contact in Houston. Teri Hatcher's husband at the time, Jon Tenney, plays Dave Miller/Lt. Ching.

--Episode 22 "Big Girls Don't Fly": Roger Daltrey plays Taz (could this be inspired by the Tasmanian Devil in LOONEY TUNES?). Clark wears the Superman black suit at the end of the episode.

Retired

Rewatching LOIS & CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN from the beginning to the ending

--season 4, 1996 - 1997--

Overview:

--As usual, season 4 opens where the previous season cliffhanger left off--Clark on his way to New Krypton. Missing is Jon Tenney in the role of Ching--Mark Kiely assumes the role. Which is weird given Tenney was married to Hatcher. Since I hated the whole New Krypton thing at the end of season 3, I really hated the two-parter opening this season. It put a bad taste in my mouth that was hard to get rid of.

It doesn't really get any better with the third episode--"Swear God, This Time We're Not Kidding"--which is the long promised marriage of Lois and Clark. Rather than just doing a proper marriage ceremony, the producers introduce a ridiculous plot and this guardian angel figure that ultimately marries our two stars--but if it's all magic, is any of it real? How do the happy couple even prove their marriage is legit?

Relief doesn't come with the fourth episode, because it's another one of those Tempus stories, which I loathe. Well I loathe Tempus--I just don't get what makes him tick. But I do enjoy H.G. Wells --played this time by Terry Kiser--I like how Kiser and Hamilton Camp are both able to trade off playing Wells at different ages.

I was just about ready to give up on this season being any good at all, when along came "Brutal Youth." In this one, because of the plot, Jimmy is advanced aged and when we finally see the elderly Mr. Olsen, he's played by none other than Jack Larson. Well, I cannot tell you how many emotions that revelation gave me. I was won over by Larson's performance--every word out of his mouth had multiple meanings knowing this is the guy, the man, the legend, the Jimmy Olsen of all Jimmy Olsens.

Something about Jimmy I noticed in this season (as played by Justin Whalin)--he's the real reporter. He's computer hacking, investigating, researching, doing the leg work. Clark and Lois ask him to do this thing and he's off. He delivers all the info that they and Superman need to crack the story. He should be getting a byline for all that work--but it's Lane and Kent that get the glory.

Another Jimmy-centric story comes later in the season--"AKA Superman"--where a young woman, Penny, believes he's Superman. And again Jimmy proves his metal--he has no super-powers but he bravely tries to save Penny and Lois, despite the danger to himself.

I really enjoyed "Bob and Carol and Lois and Clark," where Bob (played by Antonio Sabato Jr.) has a secret identity as the villain Deathstroke (not that Deathstroke). He and his wife Carol (Sydney Walsh, who is just wonderful in this role) are friends with Lois and Clark. Not only that but there's another SEINFELD connection when Bania (Steve Hytner) shows up. And Kenneth Mars plays the billionaire that Deathstroke is trying to kill. Mars was previously in the T.V. movie version of IT'S A BIRD . . . IT'S A PLANE . . . IT'S SUPERMAN and in the T.V. movie, THE NEW ORIGINAL WONDER WOMAN, that kicked off the Lynda Carter series.

And there's the Christmas episode, to top the other Christmas episodes--"'Twas the Night Before Mxymas." Howie Mandel plays the 5th dimensional imp, who causes a time loop, so we see Clark cycle through the same repeated time period again and again. An LNN newscaster appears on the T.V. in this and other episodes (he also appeared a couple of times in the previous season) played by Ben McCain--and each new time loop, as the news gets worse, he becomes more a mess. Another recurring character this season is reporter Ralph (James Dumont) whose drinking problem worsens in each new time loop. And, likewise, Jimmy's latest girlfriend, Brenda, spirals downward and everyone else in the cast loses hope.

In that episode, we learn that Perry has two sons, one of whom is in prison. And in the penultimate episode--"Toy Story"--Alice shows up to reconcile with Perry--she's played by Mary Frann.

Dr. Klein has told Superman that it's not biologically possible to have a child with an Earth female. Clark seems to be awfully cavalier about the danger to his wife. One would think he would have investigated all this before he dared to have intercourse with Lois. There's no telling what damage his alien biology could be doing to her. He seems more concerned with getting her pregnant than with protecting her from harm.

The series ends with a cliffhanger--which I guess was supposed to be resolved if there had been a season 5--where Lois and Clark get a baby out of the blue.