Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Hey! I rember watching an episode where lois and clark were spying on someone together.Can anybody provide the number?Much appreciated.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

My favorite part was the arc with all those other Kryptonians. It had moronically ludicrous stuff, like a Kryptonian tech geek signing his name on the atomic level somehow? But it was overall an interesting idea.

Swiss army nerd

This show had two great Lex moments that stood out for me.

In one, he has a hawk, I think, called Faust. And after a little monologuing, he says "Ok, Faust, now let's go kill some pigeons!" And the hawk flies off to do just that. I thought it was a great representation of Lex and how he sees the world. He's a hawk, everyone else is a pigeon. And the glee on his face!

The second was after Lex had ordered a hit on someone. He monologues to himself, about his disappointed he is in himself for having to resort to having someone killed, to such an inelegant solution. And he *means* it, he really feels like he should be pitied in that moment, poor Lex couldn't fix his problem without killing a guy. He just lives on another moral world and I'm totally here for it.

Astonishing Member

To be honest he's one of my favourite Lex, not because he was a powerhouse in performing the role but due to how campy and serious he took his role. He and Tempus are my favourite villains of this show.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Hey! I rember watching an episode where lois and clark were spying on someone together.Can anybody provide the number?Much appreciated.
    You'd have to be more specific. Spying on someone is in their job description.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    To be honest he's one of my favourite Lex, not because he was a powerhouse in performing the role but due to how campy and serious he took his role. He and Tempus are my favourite villains of this show.
    This time around, I was impressed with John Shea's acting chops. He commits to the role and goes for it. He's like a top musician who knows exactly what notes to play and how to play them. One might quarrel with the type of Luthor he's playing (which he'd have no control over), but once you accept that this is the Luthor the show is going for, he's doing everything required for a great performance.

There's one scene where he's talking to someone and it's only revealed at the end of the scene as the camera goes around him, that he's talking to himself. And then there's the episode with the Superman clone, where he's playing father to the clone and there are all kinds of tones in those scenes--from broad humour to psychologically twisted mania.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You'd have to be more specific. Spying on someone is in their job description.

I think they were in an apartment in the opposite building from the person they were spying on.Also,I believe Lois was sort of stuck with Clark.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think they were in an apartment in the opposite building from the person they were spying on.Also,I believe Lois was sort of stuck with Clark.
    Could it be 1x011 - Honeymoon in Metropolis? I think there's another one where they spy on someone from across the building but I can't remember the episode.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Until Rosenbaum came along,he was my favorite live action Lex Luthor. Now after Rosenbaum and Cryer he still rates top 3. It's a shame that he barely appeared after season 1.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Retired

Could it be 1x011 - Honeymoon in Metropolis? I think there's another one where they spy on someone from across the building but I can't remember the episode.
    Oh yes, "Honeymoon in Metropolis" was one of my favourites from the first season. Lois wants to indulge herself, so she gets the best suite in the best hotel in Metropolis, so she can get away from it all. But wouldn't you know, she's spots some nefarious activities in the building across from her window. So the next day, Perry sends Lois and Clark back to that hotel suite posing as a honeymoon couple, so they can spy on the other building.

My quibble is that for the best suite in Metropolis it looks like a cheap room at a podunk motel--it's hardly the royal suite in NINOTCHKA. Heck, it only has one bed!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

That was a great show, there was a kids channel called the hub that used to air repeats a few years ago that got me hooked on it and then it appeared on DC Universe. Hopefully it comes on hbo max, so I can get a proper binge watch in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Oh yes, "Honeymoon in Metropolis" was one of my favourites from the first season. Lois wants to indulge herself, so she gets the best suite in the best hotel in Metropolis, so she can get away from it all. But wouldn't you know, she's spots some nefarious activities in the building across from her window. So the next day, Perry sends Lois and Clark back to that hotel suite posing as a honeymoon couple, so they can spy on the other building.

My quibble is that for the best suite in Metropolis it looks like a cheap room at a podunk motel--it's hardly the royal suite in NINOTCHKA. Heck, it only has one bed!

LOL. Has to have only one bed or they can’t play with the eternal rom com screwball scenario of “oh my only one bed, will these two people who are so obviously attracted to each other even though they are pretending they aren’t have to sleep together?”

This entire scenario is just a big excuse for Clark to throw her on the bed as a ruse and make out.

Come on now.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-16-2021 at 08:08 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Until Rosenbaum came along,he was my favorite live action Lex Luthor. Now after Rosenbaum and Cryer he still rates top 3. It's a shame that he barely appeared after season 1.
    That wasn’t the show’s choice or fault though. John Shea didn’t want to be in LA anymore bc his family was in NY and he asked to leave. Had he been willing to stay, I’m sure they would have gladly kept him around.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    That wasn’t the show’s choice or fault though. John Shea didn’t want to be in LA anymore bc his family was in NY and he asked to leave. Had he been willing to stay, I’m sure they would have gladly kept him around.
    Yeah I'm aware that he wanted to spend more time with his family. They could have recast Lex for Season 2, but that would have been somewhat unfair to John. The loss of Lex as at least a somewhat regular adversary for Clark (and Lois) was a detriment to the show. They really struggled to fill the huge void Lex's exit left.

If they had recast,John Glover may have been a great choice. His Lionel gave off John Shea Lex vibes,particularly early on. He could have pulled off the same mix of charm and menace.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Yeah I'm aware that he wanted to spend more time with his family. They could have recast Lex for Season 2, but that would have been somewhat unfair to John. The loss of Lex as at least a somewhat regular adversary for Clark (and Lois) was a detriment to the show. They really struggled to fill the huge void Lex's exit left.

If they had recast,John Glover may have been a great choice. His Lionel gave off John Shea Lex vibes,particularly early on. He could have pulled off the same mix of charm and menace.
    I actually thought the use of Intergang as an ongoing threat in Season 2 and, obviously, the introduction of Tempus were pretty well done. And I do agree with others that this show did a fairly great job with the complexities of the New Krypton arc.

Speaking of John Shea, one of his best moments as Lex that I can never get out of my mind is in his return in season 2...

That moment when he and Lois are down in that basement/tunnel together and, at this point, she knows exactly what he is and what he’s done and she’s completely repulsed by him. There is a struggle and Lois, in the struggle, gets shoved into a pit by his jealous doctor (who was jealous that after she had gone to so much trouble to bring him back, he still wanted Lois). Lex is trying to reach for Lois and he gets so angry he accidentally kills the doctor. And, then OF COURSE, Superman flies down and picks Lois up.

Superman and Lois fly up to Lex and Shea’s expression in that moment is just so good. He’s just like “oh you’ve got to be kidding me, this ***** again.” The reality that Lois never truly loved him. That she always loved Superman/Clark. It’s so well done. They would always love each other. It was never going to be him and he was not going to win.

Astonishing Member

In hindsight John Glover as Lex would have been my dream casting. I really enjoyed his Lionel on Smallville for the exact same reasons you posted he had great range, a must for a character as complex as Lex.