Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    when she was created she wasnt even a witch OR magnetos daughter, that doesnt matter.
    Her importance to the mythos is elevated as a human as it turns HoM from a story of self hatred into a vicious atack by an outsider, there's NO NEED to make her a mutant you can get the pretender!
    Meh, the X-Men/Mutants have plenty of outsiders that can viciously attack them, and it doesn't really make sense for the character. HoM was a terrible story in my opinion, but it hinges on Scarlet Witch as Magneto's daughter at the very least, and without it is just a stupid mess.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Morrison only wrote about 42 issues his entire run. Between HOX/POX(12), XOS(3), NM(5), and X-Men(17), Hickman is already at 37. He's done a lot, but that context makes it seem like there should be more?
    Different vehicles with different engines. Perhaps a more apt comparission would be first 17 issues of X-men vs Morrisons first 17 issues. Still the years and writing styles have also changed since then. What was expected and allowed back then isn't the same now.

Still your question is intruiging. Overall the more issues Hickman can take to tell his story the better for Marvel. More issues=more money. Even if the line overextends as X-men has done before I doubt that it will be any serious blowback for Hickman. He as it is now has pretty much a free card to do whatever he wants.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    Meh, the X-Men/Mutants have plenty of outsiders that can viciously attack them, and it doesn't really make sense for the character. HoM was a terrible story in my opinion, but it hinges on Scarlet Witch as Magneto's daughter at the very least, and without it is just a stupid mess.
    Now that was all a lie so her petty and vicious atack on mutants is brought to the light for what it is, hence the pretender name works.
    the thing is wandas/avengers particular brand of hypocrisy/apathy towards mutants is one that's very real and can strike a cord on people, she is a wolf in sheeps clothing type of outsider, that's the most dangerous of it all , she works very well as a villain for mutants.

I would say Banshee, Gambit, Rogue and Dazzler.

Banshee for the mentioned Moira reasons.

Gambit and Rogue, because while the books has many faults, I do feel the cast is generally written well enough on that book. But Gambit and Rogue really feel shoehorned in that story with not much in terms of personality or things to do other than react to everyone's stories.

I feel Dazzler's many ressurections pre HoX should be playing some kind of role in a post Ressurection Protocols world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Hickman's actually also at 42 with the 5 Giant-Size issues. Weirdly enough it kind of gets me excited because it still feels like we're just getting started. Yes the slow burn can be frustrating, but hopefully it means the pay off will be even better.
    I did forget the Giant Size issues. Wow. I think Hickman's highs have been great, but he has put out some middling or even clunky stories too. Morrison hit it out of the park every issue, I don't remember any stories falling flat, any issue wasted. I really enjoyed Hickman's opening and look forward to seeing what else he has in store, but having since read his FF and Avengers runs, I'm less optimistic. I didn't like the Avengers/Secret Wars ending, and in fact the main Avengers run was horrible other than Sunspot and Cannonball(even if I didn't like the Scanner marriage and baby out of nowhere thing). He really only seemed to come alive with the Machiavellian Illuminati group. Didn't like where Black Swan and Doom and all that ended up. So that run really made me question him for the first time(because I thought his FF was incredible).

Whole swathes of characters have been underserved in this epoch. It's complicated by the fact that so many other writers are at play right now, so it's not all Hickman's fault(I'm looking primarily at you Howard and Duggan), but I do find the extreme inconsistency in his own book an indication that perhaps his reach has exceeded his grasp. From his earlier Marvel works I find that he doesn't excel at emotional connections and comradery(FF worked best, in the context of family); he really enjoys cerebral, mean characters, and is more interested in clever twists and symmetrical plots. I will keep reading, I look forward to seeing that symmetrical twisted ending, but what so much of the X-Men franchise is based in; friendship, learning together, personal investments, are his inherent blind spots. He hasn't done a thing with Rogue and Gambit. His Scott and Jean are sterile and robotic. Moira, the supposed key to everything, has been hidden away since that first story. Most of these issues are just going through the motions to plant flags for his later symmetrical plot twists. When he's tight and focused, he's incredible(look at that ending for XoS, after that quagmire of a middle!), but he's not always 'on' like that.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Some interesting comments - I'm a bit surprised to see so many different characters listed, and not much consensus (though a few are repeated several times!).

There are the characters who have not been written as we wish they would be, and characters barely featured at all - I think the former is worse!

There’s a lot.

Colossus, Beast, most of the cast of Excalibur...

Generation X. First Hickman played them for laughs in his New Mutants run and threw them under the bus and then, thankfully, Brisson was taken off the book before he could do too much damage. As a Chamber fan, I’m still pissed that Hickman played him losing his face AGAIN for laughs. This honestly would have been a great time to delve into something talking about the resurrection protocols and intentionally disfiguring people. Not to forget to mention that his death was stupid, but also done just to set things up for Hickman.

I think Hickman works really well with characters he actually likes. He said he was a fan of X-Men and would try his best to make a story that everyone likes, but I feel he left a lot of characters behind and even did some damage. All in an attempt to make his story work. As someone already mentioned, Banshee is a good example of that. I feel like in almost every book, there’s an example of a character who has lost out.

I still look forward to see how things go for the X-Men. But I won’t lie, I am pretty disappointed with a lot that has been done.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Monet and Nightcrawler are the two that I felt needed a book and now they're getting theirs so I'm quite pleased lol. Storm should be more significant but apparently she is getting there.

Bishop, Iceman, Rogue, Gambit, Bling!, and Husk got shafted in their respective books.

Kwannon NEEDS PANTS despite a decent arc/focus in the line.

I think Sway/Petra's arc is kind of unfortunate. Not huge characters, but they're drunken accessories.

One of the Xorns getting renamed 'Zorn' is real dumb.

Mighty Member

Everyone in Excalibur. Colossus.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    Now that was all a lie so her petty and vicious atack on mutants is brought to the light for what it is, hence the pretender name works.
    the thing is wandas/avengers particular brand of hypocrisy/apathy towards mutants is one that's very real and can strike a cord on people, she is a wolf in sheeps clothing type of outsider, that's the most dangerous of it all , she works very well as a villain for mutants.
    She really doesn't. I understand you hate the character and love anything that makes her look terrible in comparison to the characters you do like, but they have plenty of actual villains they can use without needing to continue to drag her through the mud. It's too bad the X-Men side of things just can't seem to do that.

Ultimate Member

Of the original five, Cyclops and Jean have had roles, if not as prominent on books / teams as in previous generations (although that seems about to change). Iceman's been on a team, but not the focus of that book (the Emma and Kate show), Beast's been a sketchy basement-dwelling troll over in X-Factor, but not really active in any meaningful way (not any more than Sage or a 'man in the chair' support staff to the actual field teams), and Angel's been... practically non-existent, until soon, with the rise of X-Corp.

This generation has really spread the love around, which has been welcome, but that does mean that if I were exclusively a fan of any one character, particularly if it were one of the ones that's gotten barely any development or 'screentime' in the Age of Krakoa (like Warren or Kurt or Dazzler or Jamie Madrox or Shan), I'd be disappointed.

Jean Grey. Hickman just doesn’t get her character. From confident and powerful and a leader in X-Men Red to a Marvel GIRL who wears a dress from an era when she was considered the weakest on the team. Someone who is afraid on important missions and forgets she is a telekinetic. (Just because she is an omega telepath, it doesn’t mean she is not a very powerful TK - otherwise everyone who is not an omega would have weak powers. I just don’t understand what Hickman is doing with Jean.)
    Yes, she shines in X-Force (or is at least written as a capable hero), but Hickman is the main writer and his Jean is awful. It is like the 60s Jean has made a comeback, but without the temper Stan Lee and the other writers gave her from time to time. (Damn, she was written better by men in the 1960s than she is in the 2020s. Incredibly sad.)

And everyone on Excalibur, but that is mostly because I haven’t read an X-book that bad since Chuck Austen’s work.
    Storm’s Giant Size issue was very disappointing since she was a side character in her own comic. And the story had very little to do with who she is.
    Come to think of it, I don’t think Hickman cares about characters. He builds worlds and creates epic storylines, but he doesn’t make me care for the characters. So maybe most of the characters have suffered, to some extent?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Beast lost- or rather, he continued in his previous trajectory, and Marvel doesn't seem to have noticed how deeply unpopular he has been for many years. Rogue and Gambit also lost on being wallpaper, but at least it's nothing they can't recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Beast lost- or rather, he continued in his previous trajectory, and Marvel doesn't seem to have noticed how deeply unpopular he has been for many years. Rogue and Gambit also lost on being wallpaper, but at least it's nothing they can't recover from.
    Good point about Beast but I feel like he's been just going further down the hole he's been going on since his time in Astonishing ended. Maybe even started sometime within Astonishing actually. At this point the character assassination is deliberate and second only to Scarlet Witch.