Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I think Scarlet Witch. There's never been a better opportunity to redeem her than now and she's still off somewhere else. She's one of the first female mutants and she's so important for the lore now. She needs to be put in an X-Title. You cannot resolve that storyline and keep her in the Avengers.
    she's not a mutant, hence wasnt ever going to be considered towards a mutant story

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    she's not a mutant, hence wasnt ever going to be considered towards a mutant story
    But that's the point she is in the story, but she's not. She depowered the mutant race, committed mass murder and is off in the Avengers. She's the boogeyman of the mutant race and again she's off teaching students in Magic school. She's one of the most important character in X-Men mythos, she was created in the X-Men comics and she's off in the Avengers. It's illogical.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

But that's the point she is in the story, but she's not. She depowered the mutant race, committed mass murder and is off in the Avengers. She's the boogeyman of the mutant race and again she's off teaching students in Magic school. She's one of the most important character in X-Men mythos, she was created in the X-Men comics and she's off in the Avengers. It's illogical.
    It’s because she’s not meant to be a sympathetic person suffering from a lifetime of mental trauma, but the hysterical weak-minded woman they can point to as the villain ruining the plans of the wise and noble men that deemed her too dangerous too live. The entire event is an ableist and misogynistic mess, and rather than face up and try to course correct, Marvel cowardly doubles down on it because it also made them a lot of money.

Cyclops. While the new era is way better than Rosencanny or IvX, it's a disapointment when compared with the post-Morrison era.

For the first time since Morrison, Cylclops feels irrelevant. He may appear on almost every X-Men issue Hickman writes, but he is hardly the focus of any of them, simply because Hickman's focus is worldbuilding, he is presenting the new mutant world, it's threats and players to be developted in other books of the line. Cyclops is there, but it could be Havok, Jean or Wolverine in his place and, imo, the story would be pretty much the same.
    Here's hoping that Reign of X changes things for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    It’s because she’s not meant to be a sympathetic person suffering from a lifetime of mental trauma, but the hysterical weak-minded woman they can point to as the villain ruining the plans of the wise and noble men that deemed her too dangerous too live. The entire event is an ableist and misogynistic mess, and rather than face up and try to course correct, Marvel cowardly doubles down on it because it also made them a lot of money.
    I don't entirely agree. I think this the Avengers office being territorial and pulling rank. They can play with the X-Office's toys but not the other way round. There's no plausible reason to not give her to the X-Office otherwise.

There's an interesting theory on Wanda that I saw online.

I think it fits as well if you think about this page from House of X. Moira had Proteus, Xavier had Legion and Magneto had Scarlet Witch(I just edited the page and highlighted relevant sections). All reality warpers as per their plan. Decimation appeared to occur in at least one of Moira's lives because she had seen a Phoenix Five before. Wanda might have been set up.

I want to say Beast, but he's been broken and badly written since Utopia (and also done a complete 180 in characterization since then). Hank McCoy is too far gone at this point. He needs to be either killed off for a few years and given some time away from the X-books. They need to bring back the happier, adventurous, bombastic and caring scientist of years ago.

Moria. HoX/PoX made her central to the new status quo. She hasn't been heard from since, locked in a vault.

All of the Gen X kids. People have mentioned Monet and Jubilee, and I agree. Jubilee has long been my favorite X-character, but I've hated what they've done with her since vampire days and now single mum days. Sorry, but for me Shoji doesn't work. Get rid of him and give Jubilee a character outside of obsessive mum. Then there's Chamber and Husk, who are backgrounded again. Then they bring back Synch, Skin and Mondo and don't do much at all with them (although Mondo did get more than any of the others. Banshee applies to this as well.

Agree with Colossus. Don't even know what the hell is going on with him.

Madrox, they've made him a jokeish character again.

X-23 is also one. She went from being a fairly big part of the franchise for the past 10 or so years to being used poorly in Fallen Angels, to being shunted away and forgotten about for months in a prison. Hopefully the next issue of X-men helps bring her back, but I suspect it's not going to be pretty for her and we won't really see her brought back to the forefront in any way.

I was also thinking the other day about how Generation Hope is almost completely gone. Of course Hope herself has an important role (though not a lot of characterisation), but besides MAYBE some background cameos from Idie and Transonic, we haven't seen them at all. Nothing about Velocidad, Primal or Zero (and it'd be kind of cool to see Zero "redeemed" and creating Krakoan art). The five lights are completely forgotten.

But on writing this it seems that a lot of the characters that have "lost out" are also ones that were being badly treated for a few years BEFORE HoX, and instead of getting the chance to fix them or reedem them, they've instead continued their poor treatment or shelved them. Beast, Jubilee, Madrox, Banshee...
    Last edited by PopCulturePooka; 02-12-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Jamie Madrox. An excellent, well developed character with a unique skillset/power who’s getting next to no burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozack View Post
    Jamie Madrox. An excellent, well developed character with a unique skillset/power who’s getting next to no burn.
    You know now that i think about it this is a good one. He could fit just about any book perfectly. X-facor, sending out dupes to search for information, you got a whole army to search now. X-force: Espinoage anyone? He could be in multiple countries, cities at once and then poof, the original has the information. Exacalibur, dividing and regathering yourself has got to hit on mutant magic somewhere. Marauders: He could be a whole ship crew.

But then now that i think about it maybe thats the problem. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

when she was created she wasnt even a witch OR magnetos daughter, that doesnt matter.
    Her importance to the mythos is elevated as a human as it turns HoM from a story of self hatred into a vicious atack by an outsider, there's NO NEED to make her a mutant you can get the pretender!

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I don't entirely agree. I think this the Avengers office being territorial and pulling rank. They can play with the X-Office's toys but not the other way round. There's no plausible reason to not give her to the X-Office otherwise.

There's an interesting theory on Wanda that I saw online.

I think it fits as well if you think about this page from House of X. Moira had Proteus, Xavier had Legion and Magneto had Scarlet Witch(I just edited the page and highlighted relevant sections). All reality warpers as per their plan. Decimation appeared to occur in at least one of Moira's lives because she had seen a Phoenix Five before. Wanda might have been set up.

While that’s an intriguing theory, I wish they didn’t have to make her look so incompetent that she needed Strange to help her clean up the mess in their road to finally exonerating Wanda for Marvel’s decision to cut the X-Men at the knees over corporate politics. It just adds insult to injury to have her be used as the tool for a corporate decision, then have her vilified for it, followed by having her IQ drop when does try to atone.

I feel like that, and the growing rivalry between the X-Men and Avengers franchises have colored the perception of each twin. The X-Men call Wanda the Pretender while conveniently ignoring Pietro’s own sins; the Avengers find Pietro unpleasant to be around while Wanda is at least allowed a cameo here and there. Overall though, they have both suffered since House of M, including being sidelined.

I would like to be optimistic and hope that the WandaVision hype will lead to better treatment for the twins. But I though that as well back when they were announced for Age of Ultron and Pietro for X-Men at the same time, but here we are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Cyclops. While the new era is way better than Rosencanny or IvX, it's a disapointment when compared with the post-Morrison era.

For the first time since Morrison, Cylclops feels irrelevant. He may appear on almost every X-Men issue Hickman writes, but he is hardly the focus of any of them, simply because Hickman's focus is worldbuilding, he is presenting the new mutant world, it's threats and players to be developted in other books of the line. Cyclops is there, but it could be Havok, Jean or Wolverine in his place and, imo, the story would be pretty much the same.
    Here's hoping that Reign of X changes things for the character.
    Cyclops was leading the team for a coordinated attack against Orchis. The fight against the Brood was also led by him by coordinating with New Mutants and Star-Jammers. You can't replace Cyclops on his family trips. He had a lot of cool moments during DoX and HoX/PoX. He has a special role as the captain commander of X-Men and he acted as one during the 4th issue. It's been only 16 issues. Also a character being irrelevant is not worse than badly written.

EDIT: I forgot that he also led the team during XoS(which was bad but still)
    Last edited by Vishop; 02-12-2021 at 11:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

I think Scarlet Witch. There's never been a better opportunity to redeem her than now and she's still off somewhere else. She's one of the first female mutants and she's so important for the lore now. She needs to be put in an X-Title. You cannot resolve that storyline and keep her in the Avengers.
    I may be in the minority ,but I want Scarlet to be a full fledged villain in the Xbooks.I feel we care more about the villain if we know that they were different before.So if she is a long term villain being set up I'm cool with

Quote Originally Posted by PopCulturePooka View Post

All of the Gen X kids. People have mentioned Monet and Jubilee, and I agree. Jubilee has long been my favorite X-character, but I've hated what they've done with her since vampire days and now single mum days. Sorry, but for me Shoji doesn't work. Get rid of him and give Jubilee a character outside of obsessive mum. Then there's Chamber and Husk, who are backgrounded again. Then they bring back Synch, Skin and Mondo and don't do much at all with them (although Mondo did get more than any of the others. Banshee applies to this as well.

X-23 is also one. She went from being a fairly big part of the franchise for the past 10 or so years to being used poorly in Fallen Angels, to being shunted away and forgotten about for months in a prison. Hopefully the next issue of X-men helps bring her back, but I suspect it's not going to be pretty for her and we won't really see her brought back to the forefront in any way.
    Throwback to when Husk immediately got killed off in the HOX mission and then got to join Fallen Angels at the LAST minute before it got canceled. Definitely expected more from her in this era.

Ditto when it comes to X-23. Girl goes from having two solo series in a row and making her big screen debut to playing sidekick to Kwannon of all people and then trapped in limbo. Fingers crossed that her return from the Vault is good and that she gets to join the X-Men team that's forming.

Morrison only wrote about 42 issues his entire run. Between HOX/POX(12), XOS(3), NM(5), and X-Men(17), Hickman is already at 37. He's done a lot, but that context makes it seem like there should be more?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Morrison only wrote about 42 issues his entire run. Between HOX/POX(12), XOS(3), NM(5), and X-Men(17), Hickman is already at 37. He's done a lot, but that context makes it seem like there should be more?
    Hickman's actually also at 42 with the 5 Giant-Size issues. Weirdly enough it kind of gets me excited because it still feels like we're just getting started. Yes the slow burn can be frustrating, but hopefully it means the pay off will be even better.