Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Make that today? No way!

So the post in the coffee thread with Airplane had me thinkin g about movies from the past that were great at the time but would not get made today for whatever reason.

What do you think some of those movies or tv shows would be? And why?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Blazing Saddles for obvious reasons.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That was my first thought. So much wrong with that movie but man does it still work
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Song of the South
    Gone with the Wind
    The Birth of a Nation

Probably quite a few more in that vein...

Revenge of the Nerds
    Breakfast club or Pretty Pink- I can't remember which one but it is one with clear consent issues and a horrible Asian caricature of a character
    America Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Revenge of the Nerds
    Breakfast club or Pretty Pink- I can't remember which one but it is one with clear consent issues and a horrible Asian caricature of a character
    America Pie
    I remember in Revenge of the Nerds the main nerd put on a mask and had sex with the main bullies gf because she thought it was him. Pretty much rape. But of course she was okay with it because he was good in the sack and they fell in love.

No way with the me too movement that flies today.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It was Sixteen Candles. That was the biggest offender, but most John Hughes movies had racial issues and several had consent issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    That was my first thought. So much wrong with that movie but man does it still work
    It’s sad one of the greatest comedies of all time wouldn’t be green lit nowadays because ppl have gotten so thin skinned.

You must mean the farting scene. LOL.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So the post in the coffee thread with Airplane had me thinkin g about movies from the past that were great at the time but would not get made today for whatever reason.

What do you think some of those movies or tv shows would be? And why?
    The first thing I thought of was the same thing Kirby did: Blazing Saddles. Mel Brooks was even asked if he thought he could make Blazing Saddles today in a way that was true to the original. Once he stopped laughing, he said there was no way, in our politically correct and hyper-sensitive culture, that he could do that, that it was a movie of it's time made for it's time. Even though it made fun of bigotry, it showed it for comedy and that most likely would be taboo now.

"Young Frankenstein" would not be as bad but would probably be accused of sexism. Even when I saw it in the 1970s, I didn't like the rape scene where she decides she likes it. That would have to go.

"All in the Family". There would be people who could not comprehend that Archie Bunker was not meant to be a role model but a parody.

In terms of books, Mark Twain's works that were mocking racism by the standards of his time are a hard sell today because, again, so many people just do not get parody.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

"All in the Family". There would be people who could not comprehend that Archie Bunker was not meant to be a role model but a parody.
    Those people have been around since the first episode aired. Plenty of people could not see the parody because of how much they empathized or agreed with Archie.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Those people have been around since the first episode aired. Plenty of people could not see the parody because of how much they empathized or agreed with Archie.
    That would be Trump voters.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

That would be Trump voters.
    *WARNING OFFENSIVE STORY AHEAD*

I've been told my great-grandfather was an Italian-American version of Archie Bunker. Unless you were Italian and Catholic he had a derogatory name for your group. Once he ended up in the hospital for a few days with his appendix and my grandmother went to see him. He was being treated by a male African American doctor. He pulled my grandmother aside and said right in front of the doctor -

"There is something I need to tell you, baby (he always called her baby). Stay calm, baby. My doctor is, black."

The Doctor: "I didn't know your daughter is blind."

That story killed me growing up every time I heard it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    *WARNING OFFENSIVE STORY AHEAD*

I've been told my great-grandfather was an Italian-American version of Archie Bunker. Unless you were Italian and Catholic he had a derogatory name for your group. Once he ended up in the hospital for a few days with his appendix and my grandmother went to see him. He was being treated by a male African American doctor. He pulled my grandmother aside and said right in front of the doctor -

"There is something I need to tell you, baby (he always called her baby). Stay calm, baby. My doctor is, black."

The Doctor: "I didn't know your daughter is blind."

That story killed me growing up every time I heard it.
    That gets me thinking of other things that would offend people today even while getting a big laugh.

Ed Ames, a Native American, appearing on the Tonight Show, throwing a tomahawk (which would set off the racial stereotype offense) and accidentally hitting the crotch of a target. Not the intended target but Johnny Carson instantly reacting with, "And I didn't even know you were Jewish".

Then again, the alleged Julie Newmar incident which I can't find and possibly was not aired, would have no problems today as a joke.

Newmar walks in and puts a cat on her lap.

Newmar: Would you like to stroke my *****?

Carson: I'd love to. Would you mind moving that damn cat out of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    That was the criticism Bill Cosby had of Archie Bunker, that a lot of racists didn't get that it was parody and thought, since he's the main character, that the show was saying this is right.