Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I'm glad I already own Blazing Saddles on DVD. The day will come when you won't be able to see an unedited version of it.
    Same here, and I fear you are correct it will be heavily censored or more likely banned altogether sooner rather than later. The tragic part is today's audience is too sensitive they don't understand the film is subverting racist tropes via comedy rather than supporting said tropes. Nuance is dead.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-12-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Dubbed Blazing Saddles for today:

"We'll take Black People and Hispanics, but we won't take people of Irish decent."
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

"We'll take Black People and Hispanics, but we won't take people of Irish decent."
    The funny part is until the early 20th Century (around World War II) many Irish immigrants went West because the big cities didn't want them. There were stringent anti-Irish policies both official and unofficial in most Eastern jurisdictions - "Irish and dogs need not apply" was an infamous slogan from this era (Irish dominated firefighting and policing because no one else wanted such dangerous jobs).

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The funny part is until the early 20th Century (around World War II) many Irish immigrants went West because the big cities didn't want them. There were stringent anti-Irish policies both official and unofficial in most Eastern jurisdictions - "Irish and dogs need not apply" was an infamous slogan from this era (Irish dominated firefighting and policing because no one else wanted such dangerous jobs).
    The HBOMax show "Warrior" has a good portrayal of the underclass Irish competing with the Chinese immigrants.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The HBOMax show "Warrior" has a good portrayal of the underclass Irish competing with the Chinese immigrants.
    Indeed it does.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Gabby Johnson: "The sheriff is a person of color!"

Extraordinary Member

All In The Family

Sandford and Son (which makes me sad as it is my favorite comedy series of all time )

Although I have enjoyed both over the years there is no denying they were full of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, and portrayals of young minority men as criminals mainly played for laughs especially in the case of Sanford and Son.
    Don't forget The Jeffersons. That show threw the 'n' word around a lot in the early seasons. Plus all the 'honky' and 'zebra' jokes as well.

Same here, and I fear you are correct it will be heavily censored or more likely banned altogether sooner rather than later. The tragic part is today's audience is too sensitive they don't understand the film is subverting racist tropes via comedy rather than supporting said tropes. Nuance is dead.
    This reminds me of hearing some people just the other day complaining that Grease is cringey, rapey, and misogynistic. No kidding! One of the main points of the movie is to mock the cringey, rapey, and misogynistic attitudes of the time period in which it is set.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Don't forget The Jeffersons. That show threw the 'n' word around a lot in the early seasons. Plus all the 'honky' and 'zebra' jokes as well.
    Another one of my favorites.

How about the Saturday Night Live skit with Chevy and Richard prior where they used the N word.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ghostbusters would be a lot different if made today.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It would be interesting to see how a movie like Tootsie would be recieved today. I can think of at least 2 or 3 groups that would be out in force against it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Ghostbusters would be a lot different if made today.
    Ghostbusters was made today. I understand it was a lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So the post in the coffee thread with Airplane had me thinkin g about movies from the past that were great at the time but would not get made today for whatever reason.

What do you think some of those movies or tv shows would be? And why?
    The first thing I thought of was the same thing Kirby did: Blazing Saddles. Mel Brooks was even asked if he thought he could make Blazing Saddles today in a way that was true to the original. Once he stopped laughing, he said there was no way, in our politically correct and hyper-sensitive culture, that he could do that, that it was a movie of it's time made for it's time. Even though it made fun of bigotry, it showed it for comedy and that most likely would be taboo now.

"Young Frankenstein" would not be as bad but would probably be accused of sexism. Even when I saw it in the 1970s, I didn't like the rape scene where she decides she likes it. That would have to go.

"All in the Family". There would be people who could not comprehend that Archie Bunker was not meant to be a role model but a parody.

In terms of books, Mark Twain's works that were mocking racism by the standards of his time are a hard sell today because, again, so many people just do not get parody.
    Power with Girl is better.

Blazing Saddles for obvious reasons.
    You must mean the farting scene. LOL.
    Power with Girl is better.