Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

This is kind of off the wall but Semi-Tough with Burt Reynolds and rightfully so. There was a scene where they are making fun of a middle-aged woman who is overweight that I hated even in 1978.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I liked the tv show better then the movie. it is one of my favorites.
    The only things I disliked about the show was, first, you're trying to take a movie from 1967 and saying it happened in the 1990s (or '80s). But, worst, this is the town where Virgil Tibbs was arrested for being black so, of course, he decides he wants to move his family there and be subjected to lots more racism rather than being a highly respected cop in New York City.

Although the movie gave us one of the great, parodied lines even when younger audiences often don't know it's a parody: "They call me Mr. Tibbs". Can't watch the Lion King without thinking of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    This is kind of off the wall but Semi-Tough with Burt Reynolds and rightfully so. There was a scene where they are making fun of a middle-aged woman who is overweight that I hated even in 1978.
    Fat shaming is big in the older stuff. I remember an episode on the Cosby show where he is talking to a group of teens. And he talks about being a gentlemen and helping women (Funny right) and one of the guys asks what if a woman who weighs like 230 in on the stairs ahead of you and she falls back. Cosby replies. Well if a woman that large falls towards you it is best to get out of the way. it was something like that. Dont quote me word for word.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Dubbed Blazing Saddles for today:

"We'll take Black People and Hispanics, but we won't take people of Irish decent."
    "One move and the heterosexual, cis male of African-American descent gets it".

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

"One move and the heterosexual, cis male of African-American descent gets it".
    Nah, Cleavon Little was black so he could say that line unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Nah, Cleavon Little was black so he could say that line unchanged.
    True. I think you also could still get away with Sanford and Son and the Jeffersons but not All in the Family and certainly not the Dukes of Hazzard.

While I usually try to forget what I have seen of each film, I really can't see either The Rules Of Attraction or Kids getting made in the here and now.

BANNED

Most of the Porky's movies come to mind, but I suspect the thread meant shows a little higher brow than that.

Although I loved the show when I was younger Fawlty Towers is highly problematic: aside from racism, sexism, ageism, animal cruelty, and ableism, Basil is obviously suffering from some type of undiagnosed mental disorder which is played mainly for laughs (as are the other things listed).
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-12-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The only things I disliked about the show was, first, you're trying to take a movie from 1967 and saying it happened in the 1990s (or '80s). But, worst, this is the town where Virgil Tibbs was arrested for being black so, of course, he decides he wants to move his family there and be subjected to lots more racism rather than being a highly respected cop in New York City.

Although the movie gave us one of the great, parodied lines even when younger audiences often don't know it's a parody: "They call me Mr. Tibbs". Can't watch the Lion King without thinking of it.
    In the pilot of the tv show he came back to town for his mothers funeral and was convinced to stay by the mayor who promised him real change in the city and department. Gave him a huge salary and all of that. So it is believable that he would move back. And he was not a cop in new York city. he was a cop in Philadelphia in the tv show. he goes back to Philly in a two parter and in another episode his old partner shows up in Sparta and kills some fbi guys.

it was cool to see Tibbs who in the first episode suspected Bubba of murder and had a massive amount of disrespect for the police department in Sparta turn around and they all grew to greatly respect each other and grew into close friends.

I really loved Parker, Sweets, and Lonnie. Forbes was great as well.

The only thing that bugged me on the show was in the pilot when the red neck cop called him boy and Howard rollins yelled you will call me Mr Tibbs. just felt forced and had no where near the same impact.
    Last edited by babyblob; 02-12-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

TCM ran Blazing Saddles without edits a few nights ago. They discussed before and after, but didn't cull.

There are also movies where the moivie, overall, is great, but there's that one horrible scene.

I can't remember if it was the first or second Bill and Ted but there's a scene where they each thought the other was dead, meet, hug, then point at each other and yell, "Fag!" I laughed and groaned at the same time.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

There are also movies where the moivie, overall, is great, but there's that one horrible scene.

I can't remember if it was the first or second Bill and Ted but there's a scene where they each thought the other was dead, meet, hug, then point at each other and yell, "Fag!" I laughed and groaned at the same time.
    I never even knew that Mickey Rooney was in Breakfast at Tiffany's until I watched the DVD. His scenes were always cut from the TV airings.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Ghostbusters was made today. I understand it was a lot different.
    Was specifically thinking of the original one -- although a fair point that with the franchise having made modern day installments, it does invite a comparison within the series itself.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

made me think of Teen Wolf "i'm not a fag, i'm a werewolf"