Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Maybe Water Hole #3. Had something similar. Can't remember if there was something like this in High Plains Drifter.
    Could be high plains drifter. I have to see that one again.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

All those "taming the wildcat" movies that were so popular in the 40s and 50s... the hero who brings the strong-willed woman to heel. John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara being the trademark example, although there were some good movies in there if you are prepared for a cringe or two.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Could be high plains drifter. I have to see that one again.
    I am pretty sure it is High Plains Drifter

I tried to look for a video to link, but the sites Google wanted to send me too were not links I would click.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 02-16-2021 at 07:28 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Entertainment reflects the time it is in. Few things are timeless, that's why remakes change things to contemporize. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Specifically, I think a bold series about race and politics in America like All in the Family could get made on streaming. The problem for a TV network with something like All in the Family is that nowadays, being an "Archie Bunker" is considered something to be proud of. So middle America wouldn't watch it if he was being mocked every episode and it'd get cancelled.

I am pretty sure it is High Plains Drifter

I tried to look for a video to link, but the sites Google wanted to send me too were not links I would click.
    High Plains Drifter is pretty messed up in general. I guess Clint wasn't trying to present his protagonist as a role-model or anything.

I guess.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    High Plains Drifter is pretty messed up in general. I guess Clint wasn't trying to present his protagonist as a role-model or anything.

I guess.
    Yep, was the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post

I guess.
    I've read that it's sort of considered that the character is the devil or something. I haven't seen it personally though.

One I have seen, Clint's Pale Rider (a semi-remake of Shane) also implies that there's something supernatural about his character, although he's far more benign.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think the point of High Plains Drifter is the town is evil and the people might really be in Hell. He is there to punish them.

And Clint is an avenging ghost in Pale Rider.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

"All in the Family". There would be people who could not comprehend that Archie Bunker was not meant to be a role model but a parody.
    Those people have been around since the first episode aired. Plenty of people could not see the parody because of how much they empathized or agreed with Archie.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Those people have been around since the first episode aired. Plenty of people could not see the parody because of how much they empathized or agreed with Archie.
    That would be Trump voters.

That would be Trump voters.
    *WARNING OFFENSIVE STORY AHEAD*

I've been told my great-grandfather was an Italian-American version of Archie Bunker. Unless you were Italian and Catholic he had a derogatory name for your group. Once he ended up in the hospital for a few days with his appendix and my grandmother went to see him. He was being treated by a male African American doctor. He pulled my grandmother aside and said right in front of the doctor -

"There is something I need to tell you, baby (he always called her baby). Stay calm, baby. My doctor is, black."

The Doctor: "I didn't know your daughter is blind."

That story killed me growing up every time I heard it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    That was the criticism Bill Cosby had of Archie Bunker, that a lot of racists didn't get that it was parody and thought, since he's the main character, that the show was saying this is right.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    *WARNING OFFENSIVE STORY AHEAD*

I've been told my great-grandfather was an Italian-American version of Archie Bunker. Unless you were Italian and Catholic he had a derogatory name for your group. Once he ended up in the hospital for a few days with his appendix and my grandmother went to see him. He was being treated by a male African American doctor. He pulled my grandmother aside and said right in front of the doctor -

"There is something I need to tell you, baby (he always called her baby). Stay calm, baby. My doctor is, black."

The Doctor: "I didn't know your daughter is blind."

That story killed me growing up every time I heard it.
    That gets me thinking of other things that would offend people today even while getting a big laugh.

Ed Ames, a Native American, appearing on the Tonight Show, throwing a tomahawk (which would set off the racial stereotype offense) and accidentally hitting the crotch of a target. Not the intended target but Johnny Carson instantly reacting with, "And I didn't even know you were Jewish".

Then again, the alleged Julie Newmar incident which I can't find and possibly was not aired, would have no problems today as a joke.

Newmar walks in and puts a cat on her lap.

Newmar: Would you like to stroke my *****?

Carson: I'd love to. Would you mind moving that damn cat out of the way?
    Power with Girl is better.

Boisterously Confused

Maybe Water Hole #3. Had something similar. Can't remember if there was something like this in High Plains Drifter.
    There was absolutely a rape scene in High Plains Drifter. Similarly, Connery's Bond extorts sex out of a nurse in Thunderball. Don't think either of those hero-tames-the-girl-that-says-no scenes would fly today. However, those are scenes that would be cut; don't know that it would kill the whole film today.

Mighty Member

Eastwood has said The Stranger in HPD was the brother of the murdered marshall, according to internet movie data base, although an early draft of the script revealed The Stranger had been possessed by the marshall's spirit.