Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    If Adolf Hitler created Spider-Man, I would still read it. I still visit the USA even if its had a narcissistic president and is build on the blood of the Indians. I still live in Germany despite our dark past.
    And so on...
    Sorry for you

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Some sins are more predatory than others.

true, but you never know anything about a person.

Astonishing Member

Sorry for you

You don't have to be.

BANNED

true, but you never know anything about a person.
    And you can change your behavior based on what you do know. I don't stay in Trump hotels. I do stay in German hotels because I know Germany has progressed

Extraordinary Member

Ah some actors I don't like personally like Will Smith or Marky Mark. But I still go see their movies because I like the genres they work in.

BANNED

You don't have to be.
    Yeah, I really kinda do.

For the most part, I don't really care what kind of people design the art I enjoy, or gadgets I use. It is a two-way street, I do not care if they are assholes, nor do I engage much in hero worship. I usually get a good laugh when public elevates someone into a messiah figure as almost invariably they are bound to fail the ridiculous expectations. This includes not only actors and writers and directors, but also political and business figures, athletes and so on.

Cold hard fact is that being an ass is often effective way of leadership. Not the only one, but it has a proven track record. Similarly, people who are passionate at what they do can be very obnoxious as they have very strict vision of what they want and expect others to accept their way. Also they often have very high opinion of themselves. Again, not universal, but common enough. And the cold hard fact is that the people often tolerate it, as long as it brings results which benefits themselves. Latest case, Whedon, is no different in this regard. His star was clearly on the wane even before the accusations.

There are some exceptions to this. For example, Chris Benoit was one of my favourite wrestlers, but I cannot just enjoy his matches much anymore. This is because wrestling match is supposed to get you emotionally involved - you cheer your favourites and hate their opponents. Knowing the horrible things he did, I just cannot cheer for him anymore and that takes the joy out of watching him, no matter how brilliant the match is in other respects.

Astonishing Member

And you can change your behavior based on what you do know. I don't stay in Trump hotels. I do stay in German hotels because I know Germany has progressed
    That also means that you can still read about a character in a comic book that was invented from, lets say an rapist, if the said creator left the book?

I would continue to admire the painting but absolutely refuse to do anything that might increase its financial significance. What would you do?
    I'd refuse to buy and collect any of his paintings. But I'd still admire some of them.

it is no different from listening to Michael Jackson's music and not buying his CDs, or still liking to read Gerard Jones' comic books and not buying them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Cold hard fact is that being an ass is often effective way of leadership. Not the only one, but it has a proven track record.
    Thankfully, this is demonstrably not true. The exceptions can be pointed to, but it is no longer the general trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    But I wonder if it is different from listening to Michael Jackson's music and not buying his CDs, or still liking to read Gerard Jones' comic books and not buying them?
    Well, Michael Jackson is dead, does it really matter if you buy his music? He can't benefit from it anymore.
    I guess you could make an argument that by buying his music you support the people behind him who tried to keep his crimes hidden so they could benefit from his musical success, but at this point they too probably are mostly gone from the scene.

BANNED

That also means that you can still read about a character in a comic book that was invented from, lets say an rapist, if the said creator left the book?
    Yes, of course

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    For the most part, I don't really care what kind of people design the art I enjoy, or gadgets I use. It is a two-way street, I do not care if they are assholes, nor do I engage much in hero worship. I usually get a good laugh when public elevates someone into a messiah figure as almost invariably they are bound to fail the ridiculous expectations. This includes not only actors and writers and directors, but also political and business figures, athletes and so on.

Cold hard fact is that being an ass is often effective way of leadership. Not the only one, but it has a proven track record. Similarly, people who are passionate at what they do can be very obnoxious as they have very strict vision of what they want and expect others to accept their way. Also they often have very high opinion of themselves. Again, not universal, but common enough. And the cold hard fact is that the people often tolerate it, as long as it brings results which benefits themselves. Latest case, Whedon, is no different in this regard. His star was clearly on the wane even before the accusations.

There are some exceptions to this. For example, Chris Benoit was one of my favourite wrestlers, but I cannot just enjoy his matches much anymore. This is because wrestling match is supposed to get you emotionally involved - you cheer your favourites and hate their opponents. Knowing the horrible things he did, I just cannot cheer for him anymore and that takes the joy out of watching him, no matter how brilliant the match is in other respects.
    What about Hulk Hogan? He is a racist. Or Superfly Jimmy Snuka, a murderer. Vince McMahon, a businessman who killed of the business around him...and so on.

I have a bad taste in my mouth when I watch Benoit, but if you think deep, he was a troubled soul without help, or as some say had a brain swelling that caused his actions.

I also don't visit Trump hotels or buy his hats.

Astonishing Member

Yes, of course

Ok, I get your point now.