Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

There are times when I think that they should have made Sentry either a recovering drug addict, or a person with mental health challenges, but not both.

And then there are times when I think if anyone would have both of those internal battles to face for the rest of their existence, it would be someone like Sentry.

In either case, I don't think the MCU would be afraid to use Bob necessarily. Both issues are compelling and relatable by the general viewing public.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    There are times when I think that they should have made Sentry either a recovering drug addict, or a person with mental health challenges, but not both.

And then there are times when I think if anyone would have both of those internal battles to face for the rest of their existence, it would be someone like Sentry.

In either case, I don't think the MCU would be afraid to use Bob necessarily. Both issues are compelling and relatable by the general viewing public.
    In fairness, the oriignal mini shows him jonesing for the serum, and is less literal in it in that his real addiction is being the Sentry, and it places the focus more squarely on his mental health, which it implies to have deteriorated under the strain of his powers and general existence. That's something I like better than the second mini's 'he's a junky who stole a serum and was always crazy'. The Bendis additions, like him being a murderous meth addict, were just vile retcons.

But yes. Metal illness and drug addiction do frequently go together, but I'd really prefer a they stuck to Bob self-medicating for his anxiety, and that his disassociation and the Void a re the result of intrusive thoughts and impulses coming to life. The Void is the Imp of the Perverse made real, along with being a representation of addiction/deppression.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-21-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Fantastic Member

I am hoping that the most recent Thor preview for Feb/March will reveal that he'll ask for Bob's help in putting away the God of Hammers.

Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Very nice! I actually tweeted to a fellow Sentry fan that this 'looked familiar' when I saw the end of Defenders 4 and am pleasantly surprised that I was right.

wait, what was that? a new origin for sentry/void? and now void is also in ghostrider as a demon?

I liked the original version of the character before he was treated like just another maniac waiting to happen. I'd have to read the second mini series that john romita jr. drew.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent james west View Post
    wait, what was that? a new origin for sentry/void? and now void is also in ghostrider as a demon?
    Wait, what??? Are they seriously trying to redefine the Void as a mystical, supernatural creature?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Very nice! I actually tweeted to a fellow Sentry fan that this 'looked familiar' when I saw the end of Defenders 4 and am pleasantly surprised that I was right.
    what is even going on there?

Could be interesting. Shades of the origin story as told in the largely forgotten "Age of The Sentry" mini.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Wait, what??? Are they seriously trying to redefine the Void as a mystical, supernatural creature?
    No. The New Defenders series has the defenders visiting the previous cosmoses, which have archtypes that the modern heroes descend from. A prominent role in the last issue is given to 'Lifebringer 1' and 'the anti-all'. which are referred to as 'The First Sentry' and the 'Anti-All', which the Sentry of the modern cosmos is a conceptual descendant and embodiment of. It's all quite nice and weird.

Not really sure where anyone got anything to do with Ghostrider, though.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 01-19-2022 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Guardian View Post
    Could be interesting. Shades of the origin story as told in the largely forgotten "Age of The Sentry" mini.
    Not surprising given Ewing's stated love for that version of the Sentry.

No. The New Defenders series has the defenders visiting the previous cosmoses, which have archtypes that the modern heroes descend from. A prominent role in the last issue is given to 'Lifebringer 1' and 'the anti-all'. which are referred to as 'The First Sentry' and the 'Anti-All', which the Sentry of the modern cosmos is a conceptual descendant and embodiment of. It's all quite nice and weird.

Not really sure where anyone got anything to do with Ghostrider, though.
    In the newest ghost rider issue Johnny blaze has been taken over by the void.

First I've heard of it.

Mighty Member

First I've heard of it.
    Yeah a quick Google search was absolutely useless or just told me there's a new Blaze series not coming out until February.

At least it's nice to see Ewing kept Sentry at the back of his mind while writing Defenders. I've thought he's the kind of high concept minded writer that could potentially work wonders with present tense Bob. And between his Contest of Champions series and Lemire's mini, the Age of the Sentry lived on.