Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Does Marvel own Thor?

I want to make a film and use the character Thor. Am I aloud to do that as he is a religious character, or would Marvel come down on me like a tonne of bricks?

BANNED

I imagine mythlogy characters like Thor & Hercules are fair game for anyone. You don't see marvel coming down on Syfy for making "Almighty Thor".

Thor is very solidly in the public doman

You can use thor and loki and oden. And most of the asgardians that are part of the original norse mythology i haven't studied the norse gods so I don't know what parts of marvels thor were made up by them. Like the hammer Im sure was part of the myth but the flying? The changing into a human?

No warriors three aka hogan, fandral, volstag. Siff is "real"

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    You can use thor and loki and oden. And most of the asgardians that are part of the original norse mythology i haven't studied the norse gods so I don't know what parts of marvels thor were made up by them. Like the hammer Im sure was part of the myth but the flying? The changing into a human?
    Marvel doesn't own either of those concepts either, really the only way you could get into trouble is if you named the human counterpart Donald Blake or made a costume identical to the comic one.

Fantastic Member

As long as you aren't using Marvel's version of Thor, you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    As long as you aren't using Marvel's version of Thor, you're good.
    If I have "Thor" in the title, it would be okay?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

As long as you don't make your character look like the Marvel version (comic or movie) then you fine. Anything not created by marvel is fair game.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by _Jane_ View Post
    If I have "Thor" in the title, it would be okay?
    Yeah, the name Thor can't be trade marked any more than ''Jesus''. Just be sure that your Font for the title is not even close to any of the Marvel logos, Don't call describe him with any of the regular Marvel adjectives they use for their titles and for Odin's sakes make sure that everything about your version is based on the Norse mythology and nothing that originated from any of Marvel's stories, that includes characterization and relationships with other characters.

Just to be safe, particulary if you want to put this through the Festival Circuit, I would get a lawyer and consult them or just keep them on speed dial, just in case they give you ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Yeah, the name Thor can't be trade marked any more than ''Jesus''. Just be sure that your Font for the title is not even close to any of the Marvel logos, Don't call describe him with any of the regular Marvel adjectives they use for their titles and for Odin's sakes make sure that everything about your version is based on the Norse mythology and nothing that originated from any of Marvel's stories, that includes characterization and relationships with other characters.

Just to be safe, particulary if you want to put this through the Festival Circuit, I would get a lawyer and consult them or just keep them on speed dial, just in case they give you ****.
    Few more points.
    • I know that Thor is a red head and not blond, but is there a big/major difference between the Norse Mythology and the Marvel or even DC Thor in terms of story?
    • So if I mixed Thor with Medieval Britain, would that be okay?
    • What if it is Thor in the future in the year 3000?
    • What if it was modern times, would that be too similar to the Marvel movie "Thor" as that is set in the 21st century?
    Last edited by _Jane_; 08-21-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

IDW is currently publishing Walt Simonson's alternate take on the mythos, titled Ragnarok. The look of Thor, as well as his hammer, are totally different from Marvel's. As long as you don't borrow Marvel-Thor's wardrobe and storylines, you can do whatever you wish.

Spectacular Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnTpR4M1ZI

Maybe Disney is going to sue Adventures in Babysitting (that is, sue themselvers)?

Emma Frost owns Thor