Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I expect it's a lot like Snow White: the basic story is public domain, but you can't use anything that is unique to the Disney version.

Quote Originally Posted by _Jane_ View Post
    Few more points. [*]I know that Thor is a red head and not blond, but is there a big/major difference between the Norse Mythology and the Marvel or even DC Thor in terms of story?
    I'd suggest doing a bit of research on this one yourself. Go look up some old myths with the guy.

[*]So if I mixed Thor with Medieval Britain, would that be okay? [*]What if it is Thor in the future in the year 3000?
    I don't see the problem with either of these.

[*]What if it was modern times, would that be too similar to the Marvel movie "Thor" as that is set in the 21st century?
    This one may give you issues, but that's only if you play Thor up as being too close to the Marvel version. Nobody should give you any hassel over Thor in modern times if you play him up as a savage viking warrior, but if you play him up as a superhero, you're asking for trouble.

Few more points.
    • I know that Thor is a red head and not blond, but is there a big/major difference between the Norse Mythology and the Marvel or even DC Thor in terms of story?
    • So if I mixed Thor with Medieval Britain, would that be okay?
    • What if it is Thor in the future in the year 3000?
    • What if it was modern times, would that be too similar to the Marvel movie "Thor" as that is set in the 21st century?
    1. I'm not an expert, but the short version is "yes". (For one thing, Loki isn't Odin's adopted son in Norse mythology.)
    2. Sure.
    3. Sure.
    4. "Thor in the modern world" is far too nebulous a concept to be protected by copyright. Some people might call you unoriginal, but you'd be protected legally. Bonus points if your Thor is working as a bartender in Minneapolis while helping a single mom retain custody of her kids or something sufficiently dissimilar to the plot of Marvel's Thor.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

I want to make a film and use the character Thor. Am I aloud to do that as he is a religious character, or would Marvel come down on me like a tonne of bricks?
    You don't have to worry, As everyone pointed out all Norse Mythology including Thor are public domain.

A Thor/Jesus team-up movie, like a supernatural, godly buddy-cop flick, would be amazing.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Far as I know the people are fine:
    Thor_2D-2.jpg

Marvel/Disney may own the look they give Thor (blond hair and a red cape) as WB (who owns Turner who bought the rights from MGM) claims ownership over the specific shade of green the Wicked Witch has along with the mole on her chin. But other than that, the character (including other shades of green) is fair game.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/mo...z-prequel.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    I imagine mythlogy characters like Thor & Hercules are fair game for anyone. You don't see marvel coming down on Syfy for making "Almighty Thor".

Ohhhhh no. That looks so bad.

. .
    Last edited by _Jane_; 08-21-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'd suggest doing a bit of research on this one yourself. Go look up some old myths with the guy.

I don't see the problem with either of these.

This one may give you issues, but that's only if you play Thor up as being too close to the Marvel version. Nobody should give you any hassel over Thor in modern times if you play him up as a savage viking warrior, but if you play him up as a superhero, you're asking for trouble.
    Okay, avoid modern day. Thanks for the advice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    IDW is currently publishing Walt Simonson's alternate take on the mythos, titled Ragnarok. The look of Thor, as well as his hammer, are totally different from Marvel's. As long as you don't borrow Marvel-Thor's wardrobe and storylines, you can do whatever you wish.
    Well yeah, i read the first issue and Thor is a skeleton.
    Gaiman used Thor and Lofi in Sandman.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Okay, avoid modern day. Thanks for the advice.
    Not necessarily. Almighty Johnsons has a modern day Thor who's an overweight, middle-aged, slightly insane farmer from like New Zealand who carries a basic clawed hammer.

Avoid using Thor like a superhero or any of the "iconic" things Marvel tends to do with their version of Thor. Throwing or spinning the hammer to fly, the red cape and long blonde hair look, faux-Shakespearean speak, stuff like that.

I want to make a film and use the character Thor. Am I aloud to do that as he is a religious character, or would Marvel come down on me like a tonne of bricks?
    you can use thor just not the marvel thor and be sure to put the girl from your avatar in the movie and you have a hit.

Fantastic Member

It is fair game and have fun with it! make it rock!

Quote Originally Posted by dantefrizzoli View Post
    It is fair game and have fun with it! make it rock!
    What would be your ideal Thor?

BANNED

As others say Thor is basically public domain. Like Hercules. As long as you don't make this version of Thor 100% like Marvel's Thor then you would be fine