Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

All Star Superman, pre-Crisis Bronze Age Superman and Morrison's Action

New52 Superman, specifically the one in the then present day of DC Comics continuity with the full costume (Which is also my favorite Superman costume.), though I also enjoyed Grant Morrison's take on the same version of Superman set five years prior to the then-present day of DC Comics continuity.

That take on Superman hit what I wanted so on the nose that it basically ruined a lot of other takes on Superman for me. Granted, he was at first replaced by basically as opposite a Superman as you can get while still retaining Clark Kent as Superman with the normal basic character past and present and touchstones, so I was never going to go in big for SuperDad. However, even past Superman Reborn with the merger, and then Bendis taking over the character and thankfully aging up Jon, which made the whole thing much more readable for me, it still wasn't the same (And of course I was against the return of the trunks).

I think while most of me knows that the New52 Superman is probably never coming back, we've seen enough crazy things in comic books that it's not strictly impossible. Doomsday Clock established him as the Superman of Earth 52, so any story lineup with alternate universes is a potential opportunity for a cameo or a team-up. I also think it's vaguely possible that if someone with enough pull wanted to, they could get a monthly set in Earth 52- it'd probably take a really top tier comics author or someone famous for something else being specifically a New52 Superman fan and demanding it in order to sign on a dotted line to work for DC Comics, which seems unlikely, but I'd like to think it could happen.

The New52 costume was also established in Superman Reborn as being a former costume for the current Superman (One of the few elements of the New52 Superman worked into the combined Superman's backstory), so we could see that in a flashback to that time period, which we never saw unfold as the current Superman remembers it beyond a panel or two to establish it as his past. It'd be the current Superman basically cosplaying as the New52 Superman, rather than the actual New52 Superman, but it's an element we could see someday.

Storyline wise, neither the New52 Superman's essence being merged with SuperDad to create the current Superman or the existence of the New52 Superman on Earth 52 are set up as contradicting each other. In one universe, he was a division of the essence of Superman and was merged with his other half, whereas in another universe, the New52 Superman was just who Superman was in his entirety, and he presumably continues to live on there, albeit not in any comics they are actually printing.

I'd like to think that we could at least, with all the turnover at DC Comics and normal turnover in the years to come, get past the people there who either think of the New52 Superman as one of their greatest failures or who feel like they were the in-house resistance to the New52 Superman, and get to some people who don't feel like any reference to him is revisiting a dark period for the business and would at least stop excluding him where it makes sense to include him. I mean, there was actually a comic arc where there were a bunch of alternate Supermans, like dozens of them, and not one was New52 Superman, not even in the background. We've seen Superboy Prime more than New52 Superman since they sidelined the New52 Superman.

Anyway, New52 Superman is by far my favorite. No Superman quite like him. It's not only the character, but the art work on some of those books was also great, visually a more realistic darker less cartoony Superman in a lot of what he appeared in (Not everything, but a lot of it).

I'd love to see him in the Flashpoint movie, even if it's just a Superman in the background with his uniform and an actor who looks like him, and not one of the Supermen involved in the main plot with speaking roles.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Anyway, New52 Superman is by far my favorite. No Superman quite like him. It's not only the character, but the art work on some of those books was also great, visually a more realistic darker less cartoony Superman in a lot of what he appeared in (Not everything, but a lot of it).
    I'm curious, have you read Superman: Secret Identity? It might appeal to you.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There are a good half dozen creative teams who influence me as far as Superman goes, and my view of the character is basically a composite of those runs. But when I picture the character overall, I think of great 70s covers. Like Garcia Lopez, Neal Adams, or my favorite, Nick Cardy:

It's 95% comics for me. My only real mentions otherwise have to be Cavill in live action and the Fleischer cartoons.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    There are a good half dozen creative teams who influence me as far as Superman goes, and my view of the character is basically a composite of those runs. But when I picture the character overall, I think of great 70s covers. Like Garcia Lopez, Neal Adams, or my favorite, Nick Cardy:

Of course, the top image is by Bob Oksner--who you didn't mention--for the cover of ACTION COMICS 446 (April 1975).

While the bottom image is by Nick Cardy--who you did mention--for the cover of SUPERBOY 194 (April 1973).

Both cover artists had distinct styles that are unmistakable. I like them both, but Oksner's women are a personal favourite.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Because I'm a source material purist, my favorite version will always be depicted in the comics. Not that I don't love the guy in other media.

That said, I have to go with post-COIE, but not necessarily Byrne. My sweet spot is after him, so probably circa 1989-1996. Writers like Jurgens, Stern, Ordway, and Kesel defined Superman's voice for me, and are still my gold standard for his characterization.

Around the time electric blue Supes appeared, the Triangle Era was starting to go off the rails unfortunately...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

As much as I love the other writing from period, Stern and Ordway are my favorites. Ordway also draws one of the best IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Of course, the top image is by Bob Oksner--who you didn't mention--for the cover of ACTION COMICS 446 (April 1975).

While the bottom image is by Nick Cardy--who you did mention--for the cover of SUPERBOY 194 (April 1973).

Both cover artists had distinct styles that are unmistakable. I like them both, but Oksner's women are a personal favourite.

Whoops, haven't really paid attention to back issues in a while. Did the image search but I thought there was something off. Honestly Oksner is one of my favorites on his own and hands down my favorite to work with Swan anyway.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Because I'm a source material purist, my favorite version will always be depicted in the comics. Not that I don't love the guy in other media.

That said, I have to go with post-COIE, but not necessarily Byrne. My sweet spot is after him, so probably circa 1989-1996. Writers like Jurgens, Stern, Ordway, and Kesel defined Superman's voice for me, and are still my gold standard for his characterization.

Around the time electric blue Supes appeared, the Triangle Era was starting to go off the rails unfortunately...
    I'm a comics purist too if you define it that way. They're what I think of first and I agree entirely that the post Byrne team was pretty strong.

Exile is a great example of making lemonade from lemons.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In terms of comics, I'd have to say my favorite would probably be Golden Age. The simplicity of it and the stories are more down to Earth is why it appeals to me.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Action Comics Vol 2 issues 1-18.

Bits and pieces I've liked across from the eras I've tried but nothing really fully that encompasses everything I like, so can't really pinpoint one thing in terms of writing for comics (though I haven't read as much Supes as I have my other favs so grain of salt and all that).

Visually: John Byrne

Other Media: S:TAS (just this, not the rest of the DCAU)

I don't think i can pick one. If someone points a gun and asks me to choose, i would pick whenever Grant Morrison writes him. (After i deflect the guy's bullets of course! ).

You have one of the most regarded Superman story of all time, All Star Superman. You have the underrated DC One Million. The stunning run in Action Comics Vol 2. He somehow gets the character like few writers do. High concept sci-fi adventures combined with a lot of heart. That's what Superman is supposed to be(mostly). At the other end you have the angry young Superman looking out for the small guy. I didn't know I needed that. I am sorry to see no one wanting to see, Superman the way he was created. Both of these feel so different and yet so satisfying.

Give me a few years and either Bates or Maggin! could become my favorites over Morrison. Maybe Bates. That immortal Superman story was so good.

In other media, i am not a big fan of anything. As a kid Superman TAS would be how I would picture Superman. But i find the guy a bit boring nowadays. Even if the show is still fun to watch and quite underrated. Reeve however got the character so right that i am stunned. Just a couple of days ago I watched a clip from Superman. And it left me smiling ear to ear.

For me its so important to get Clark Kent right. Some people tend to think him as utterly other. Others think he's one of us. But in my opinion, its best when he's somewhere in the middle. For that to be right Clark Kent is so important.

I am not saying everyone has to be a bumbling idiot. But its so fun to see him here like that, since he's clearly not that. I am a fan of the MCU films. They tend to be funny, enjoyable and full of personality. Superman done right can be just as good. Maybe better. Off late every Marvel character has become some sort of wisecracking jokester. I still love that. But this is funny without even trying. Reeve comes closest to the man of steel from comics. Maybe even surpassing him.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-14-2021 at 07:18 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I'd like to think that we could at least, with all the turnover at DC Comics and normal turnover in the years to come, get past the people there who either think of the New52 Superman as one of their greatest failures or who feel like they were the in-house resistance to the New52 Superman, and get to some people who don't feel like any reference to him is revisiting a dark period for the business and would at least stop excluding him where it makes sense to include him. I mean, there was actually a comic arc where there were a bunch of alternate Supermans, like dozens of them, and not one was New52 Superman, not even in the background. We've seen Superboy Prime more than New52 Superman since they sidelined the New52 Superman.

I'd love to see him in the Flashpoint movie, even if it's just a Superman in the background with his uniform and an actor who looks like him, and not one of the Supermen involved in the main plot with speaking roles.
    The N52 Supes appearance in Sideways was pretty cool. Granted, it has been a few years now, and they didn't seem to take this anywhere, but at least the possibility of it is intriguing.

New-52-Superman-Returns-Sideways.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

For me it’s Bronze Age Superman, he’s the leader of the Justice League, he’s in a shaggy haired version of the legion, he’s may or may not have had a billion red kryptonite and imaginary stories, they’re making movies about him, he has huge tabloid size books, and it’s all face value, no irony, capital S, Superman! Even his Clark Kent has a back up feature.

Astonishing Member

1938-1987. Whimsical, impactful, and actually built on creating new ideas. Proof is kind of in the pudding. When people want to steal from Superman they steal from the Pre-Crisis Superman not the Post-Crisis one. The "Superman is a mantle" thread kind of speaks for itself; in 80+ years the most anyone can hope to be is Superman. The biggest achievement of recent years was a call back to the Silver Age in All Star Superman. When they formulated a backstory for Jon they just ripped off Clark's Superboy backstory while Clark's Post-Crisis backstory has become a void with the word normal in the middle. I think Superman written correctly should have a taste for wonder and adventure and should have a variety of different interest. Watching the big guy huff and puff about having to do Superman stuff in Earth Stealers really put into perspective that while this guy may be Clark Kent ,but he'd never really be Superman.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory