Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I wonder how they'll make Seven Soldiers different from every other team in the DCU. They need a niche i beiieve.
    Well, a lot of that would depend on if / when the team shows up again in the future for anything. At the moment, isn't Ollie with the Bendis-Justice League?

As for the pre-CoIE version (which is more the focus of this thread), it seemed to me a "niche" they held was that they weren't really a powerhouse superteam. Sir Justin was the only member who had any real magical abilities, while the others were of the "costumed adventurer" mold.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    STARGIRL photo of the 7 Soldiers.

Attachment 106342
    That's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Since DC will be releasing the Stargirl Spring Break Special in a few months,
    I figured it might be time to revive a thread about the original, Golden Age (pre-CoIE) team.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Really looking fowrad to this.

Peace

Promo from Adventure Comics #437 (January-February 1975)

I do kinda wish they would have made Wing the new Crimson Avenger. I know Kato pre-dates him but he was DC’s first Asian superhero. Yeah he was written in a very stereotypical way in the 40s but unfortunately that’s the case for most minority characters back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I do kinda wish they would have made Wing the new Crimson Avenger.
    But Wing has been dead even longer than Lee Travis.
    Wing's death was revealed in Justice League of America #102 (October 1972) while Lee Travis /original Crimson Avenger died in DC Comics Presents #38 (October 1981).

Promo from Adventure Comics #437 (January-February 1975)
    Wow. Is there really a SSOV tale illustrated by Mike Grell? (That is his work, right?) I Never knew.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Wow. Is there really a SSOV tale illustrated by Mike Grell? (That is his work, right?) I Never knew.
    Well, there's a "Yes" and "No" answer.

Grell didn't illustrate the ENTIRE SSoV story, but he did do the art for one of the chapters:
    * Adventure Comics #438 = Chapter One art with pencils by Dick Dillin / inks by Tex Blaisdell
    * also in Adventure Comics #438, Chapter Two <The Shining Knight> art by Howard Chaykin
    * Adventure Comics #439 = Chapter Three <Green Arrow & Speedy> art by Lee Elias
    * Adventure Comics #440 = Chapter Four <Crimson Avenger (& Wing)> art by Mike Grell
    * Adventure Comics #441 = Chapter Five <Star-Spangled Kid & Stripesy> art by Ernie Chan
    * Adventure Comics #442 = Chapter Six <Vigilante> pencils by José Luis García-López / inks by Mike Royer
    * Adventure Comics #443 = Chapter Seven art with pencils by Dick Dillin / inks by Tex Blaisdell

I wonder how they'll make Seven Soldiers different from every other team in the DCU. They need a niche i beiieve.
    I always thought that if Green Arrow were to have his own team. This would be it.

Regarding the 7SV story serialized in Adventure, this was posted by a particularly talented member of the group. The collected story NEEDS to be published somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I have little faith it will ever happen, but the original script for Leading 15 that was drawn by modern artists and published as backups in Adventure Comics 438-443 needs to be collected and reprinted somewhere. I know we got the script itself in the three volume Archives (very nice set by the way), but the finished product needs to be collected.

To be fair, every book or team needs a niche. Specifically, why can't this just be another JL story? The 7SV was a group of non-powered adventurers (with the exception of the Shining Knight's armor and horse). I'd put the team in more relevant and real life situations. Please feel free to check out the pinned DC Next Dawn thread for a currently running 7SV fanfic story as well as other cool stuff. ALL ARE WELCOME!

EARTH-2: SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY, “Truel” #1 (of 7)
    Plotter: CaptCleghorn
    Writer: HOWARD CHAYKIN
    Art: TONY HARRIS
    7SV: “The Black Dahlia”
    January 1947. It’s been nearly a year and a half since the end of WW2 and America is getting back to business. No war, no depression. Life is looking optimistic, except for one murder mutilated and bisected young woman in Los Angeles. Helping out the Los Angeles Police is the Vigilante (secret identity – Greg Saunders), celebrity adventurer with a music career. However what catches the Vigilante’s eye are certain characters with known nazi and Soviet connections. It turns out that the Soviets have a team of agents called Geroi Budushchego, or “Heroes of the Future”. Remaining nazis have put together operatives known as “Kinder von hitler” or Children of you know who.
    What do the Russians and Germans want? Greg does what he sees as the only possible thing and calls his team, the Seven Soldiers of Victory. Vigilante, cowboy detective, Green Arrow and Speedy, archers extraordinaire, Star-Spangled Kid and Stripsey, America come to life, The Crimson, noir adventurer and his sidekick Wing, and the Shining Knight, time lost knight from King Arthur’s Roundtable. Can three teams solve a grisly homicide or will their own differences blind them to what’s happening in the world around them?
    32 PGS./ Rated T for Teen Readers...$3.99
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Well, there's a "Yes" and "No" answer.

Grell didn't illustrate the ENTIRE SSoV story, but he did do the art for one of the chapters:
    * Adventure Comics #438 = Chapter One art with pencils by Dick Dillin / inks by Tex Blaisdell
    * also in Adventure Comics #438, Chapter Two <The Shining Knight> art by Howard Chaykin
    * Adventure Comics #439 = Chapter Three <Green Arrow & Speedy> art by Lee Elias
    * Adventure Comics #440 = Chapter Four <Crimson Avenger (& Wing)> art by Mike Grell
    * Adventure Comics #441 = Chapter Five <Star-Spangled Kid & Stripesy> art by Ernie Chan
    * Adventure Comics #442 = Chapter Six <Vigilante> pencils by José Luis García-López / inks by Mike Royer
    * Adventure Comics #443 = Chapter Seven art with pencils by Dick Dillin / inks by Tex Blaisdell
    Cool!

Peace

But Wing has been dead even longer than Lee Travis.
    Wing's death was revealed in Justice League of America #102 (October 1972) while Lee Travis /original Crimson Avenger died in DC Comics Presents #38 (October 1981).
    Yeah I know that was the big reveal in Justice League of America 102, but that was many Crisis and line wide reboots/revamps ago. Wing still alive on Prime Earth or becoming the Crimson Avenger on Earth 2 could totally still be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah I know that was the big reveal in Justice League of America 102, but that was many Crisis and line wide reboots/revamps ago. Wing still alive on Prime Earth or becoming the Crimson Avenger on Earth 2 could totally still be a thing.
    It's speculation on my part, but I think Wing was sacrificed back in the JLA story to gloss over his backward treatment in the Golden Age. Him taking over the name after Travis's death would be a nice touch and it wouldn't be difficult to come up with a story explanation for Wing's stereotypical behavior. He spoke like that to put off foes and in private because it pissed off Lee Travis. But to the main point, there were a plethora of crises and now DC's in a constant state of change. I suppose Johns' Stargirl story will be setting the ground rules for the 7SV and how Green Arrow and Speedy fit in.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?