Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I dig Dark Victory more than Long Halloween...am I nuts?

I read Long Halloween 10 years ago and everyone in the world taughted its strengths. I, however felt the story was overhyped and aside from a few moments, did not find the story amusing. However - after picking up Dark Victory - I am more deeply moved, interested, and enjoying the story itself.

My buddy, a Batman geek, would slap be silly.

I was wondering your thoughts on LH v. DV

They're both modern classics, so I'd say no. Some of my favorite pieces of art of from Dark Victory. The no nonsense spread of the circus, with Dick lying at the side of his parents bodies, with a special highlight on Bruce in the audience. No dialogue. No thought balloons. Nothing to distract you from the perfect piece of art that conveys all the information you need and emotion you should feel. Brilliance. I'm not sure I'd sy as a whole, it a better book, it both are strong work. My only complaint is the identical plot it has (even Hush had a similar feel). But I enjoy them all.

Spectacular Member

Well, I think Long Halloween is absolutely terrible while Dark Victory is okay, so... No, you're not nuts.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I thought Dark Victory was vastly inferior to TLH myself. Too much repetition. Still a damn fun read, though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    I read Long Halloween 10 years ago and everyone in the world taughted its strengths. I, however felt the story was overhyped and aside from a few moments, did not find the story amusing. However - after picking up Dark Victory - I am more deeply moved, interested, and enjoying the story itself.

My buddy, a Batman geek, would slap be silly.

I was wondering your thoughts on LH v. DV
    No, definitely not. Like with all comics, personal preference plays a big role. I thought DV was pretty damn good myself. It's probably been over a year and a half since I read it, but I remember liking it a lot, and some parts, yes, even more so than TLH.

People have different tastes. I like Long Halloween better but yeah it is pretty close for me.

They are both great so you are fine.

The Claw of Justice!

They are both great books. I like them about the same.

I like both but prefer Dark Victory but I really like Robin's origin so I am a little biased. I think Long Halloween drags a little to much. I guess I feel as if Dark Victory is a little more consistent as Long Halloween has higher highs and lower lows. I have not read Haunted Knight or When in Rome does anyone think they are worth the read?

I really liked Dent in both stories but that might have to do with Tim Sale's amazing visual depiction of Two-Face.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-21-2014 at 06:52 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Fantastic Member

Dark Victory doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's not quite as good as The Long Halloween if only because it feels too familiar but it's an excellent Batman story in its own right.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

I have mixed feelings towards this book; on one hand it's much better than TLH simply by virtue of being shorter. On the other hand it's overly goofy to a level that TLH never came near, to the point it undermines the whole slow burn noir feel that is TLH's one saving grace.

I like dark victory better also so I guess we're both nuts. The riddles were pretty fun to figure out too.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    it's much better than TLH simply by virtue of being shorter
    Aren't they the same length? Both 12 issue series?

They're both 13 issues long.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    I have mixed feelings towards this book; on one hand it's much better than TLH simply by virtue of being shorter. On the other hand it's overly goofy to a level that TLH never came near, to the point it undermines the whole slow burn noir feel that is TLH's one saving grace.
    I feel obliged to mention that you have failed to include Tim Sale's amazing art among The Long Halloween's saving graces, especially considering your avatar!

As for Dark Victory, Sale seems to rely a bit more on rougher, thicker lines than he does in the gorgeous Long Halloween, which makes DV look less refined and all around "uglier" in comparison. Considering how much those stories rely on the mood created by the art I think that's a pretty big strike against it. Then again, I do think DV's plot holds up a bit better to scrutiny than TLH's does, although it's not exactly flawlessly solid either.