Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    They're both 13 issues long.
    Does it work out to similar page counts cause Dark Victory feels shorter? Which is typically a sign of enjoyment.

Looking at the trades DV is longer at 388 to LH 370.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-22-2014 at 06:40 AM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

They're both 13 issues long.
    Ah, got the HCs so haven't pulled out the singles in years.

While Dark Victory has slightly better plot and revelation, it is basically a rehash of The Long Halloween. I guess that's why it's not as popular due to lacking of 'freshness'. The same goes with Hush. All of Loeb's Batman works (except Haunted Knight) are the same: Batman need to find out the truth of the mystery killer while dealing with his rogue gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    Does it work out to similar page counts cause Dark Victory feels shorter? Which is typically a sign of enjoyment.

Looking at the trades DV is longer at 388 to LH 370.
    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Ah, got the HCs so haven't pulled out the singles in years.
    Dark Victory also had a special preview issue thingy too.
    BB

Long Halloween is one of my favorite Batman stories ever, but I've only read Dark Victory and Haunted Knight once. I think I'm going to re-read all three soon.

Dark Victory also had a special preview issue thingy too.
    Was it collected as that may explain the higher page count?
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

All-New Member

Well, count me in among the nuts. I didn't like THL. The art style and character designs (especially Catwoman..) are quite horrible in my view. Not saying that the art is bad, per se, just that it really does nothing for me. The plot is too long, it meanders and feels disjointed. DV, on the other hand, had Dick in it. When I started reading comics a couple years ago, I thought I didn't care for the batfamily, just grim & dark Batman. But I found Dick's origin and inclusion in the story to be much better than I'd figured (I mostly knew the '66 Batman & Robin at that point). I can't remember that plot of DV too well, but I remember liking quite a bit more than TLH.

Fantastic Member

Gotta go with TLH, just overall a griping read for me

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

The Long Halloween is probably the most overrated Bat-story after the Killing Joker.But I found Dark Victory more tolerable, thanks to the smallest plot and Robin's introduction.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Aren't they the same length? Both 12 issue series?
    Weird. For some reason I've always had the impression that DV was legitimately shorter. Maybe it just reads quicker? I just remember it not being nearly as arduous as Long Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I feel obliged to mention that you have failed to include Tim Sale's amazing art among The Long Halloween's saving graces, especially considering your avatar!.
    You're right, however 90% of the mood and style evoked in TLH and which I'm referring to, is owing to Tim Sale anyway. Guess I should have been clearer

Hush is a Loeb book where art and writing complement each other to form an overall better package - the scripting in TLH is too boring, meandering over relying mobster movies to keep the page turning in its own right. I can actually rank by favourite Batman trades by how dog-eared and bent they are, but copy of TLH remains pristine - don't think I've never managed to stick with it more than a couple minutes on a re-read. Hush though I've read as a bedtime story to the kid over a dozen times.