Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I think that's going to be impossible to prove, but just as a gut feeling...I'd say Courtney is more popular currently. But finding hard numbers on that...good luck.

Honestly though, I'm not surprised by this news. It has the feeling of ATT taking a look at the script and thought it was unworkable for whatever reason. I would look for this to maybe become a pattern; with over-eager WB people okaying things they really shouldn't, and later getting smacked down by their ATT overlords.
    On comics? they are both on same category. Cassie had good runs of young justice and Teen titans. While Courtney most have Johns run on Justice Society

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Well received? By who? You are honestly the first person I've seen express interest in her. I'm not saying she's terrible just that she's new and hasn't really caused any sort of commotion that makes me think she's going to be A-list any time in the near future. She doesn't have a solo book any more. Her joining Young Justice didn't help the book survive(unfortunately). What makes you think she deserves a solo TV show at this point? Specifics please.
    I mostly see people on twitter liking it. The test is if her new comic will last the internet hype

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    They definitely don't bring in anything close to that. They make stuff quick and cheap and have some overseas TV deals- so they definitely more than break even. That's about it.

Wonder Woman deserves more than a network TV show, Yara too. Lots of potential for Yara! A Max original would be cool, or a feature flick.
    Yeah the international t deals that keep CW tv shows going. Only Flash get a average of +1M viewers. It wouldn't suvive on any big tv network
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-14-2021 at 09:56 AM.

There really isn't the source material for the character yet, and I do think casting the character would have been a nightmare. I haven't watched a CW show in years now and to be honest, I probably wasn't going to watch this.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    There really isn't the source material for the character yet, and I do think casting the character would have been a nightmare. I haven't watched a CW show in years now and to be honest, I probably wasn't going to watch this.
    While I prefer characters with some history behind them get adapted first,you dont necessarily need to have the source material. They'd obviously take from Diana and create their own version. Not to mention that you have characters like Harley Quinn who originated on screen and the source material was created throughout the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think Cassie is at least as popular as Stargirl who has a TV show.
    Stargirl is WAY more popular/well known than Cassie. Courtney was a regular player in Justice League Unlimited and recurring character on Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow. Cassie is a background character in Young Justice.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 02-14-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She has an appreciation thread on this very site and her book has been critically acclaimed. Yes her book cancelled but she at least has a solo which is more than can be said for any Wonder character that isn't Diana or Yara.
    Naomi was not axed. It was a 6 part mini for season 1. The main reason we have not seen season 2 yet is due to the artist-have WAY too much on his plate (Far Sector and some franchise called POWER RANGERS at Boom) and Bendis did not want to do the book without him.

Also David Walker has Bitter Root and a real life job at a college like Sanford Greene and Khary Randolph.

Right now her trade is among the top 50 DC trades selling at Amazon.

Well received? By who?
    Does not matter when we are talking tv or movie folks. If they are interested, they are interested.

Static nor Blade had books when they got their respective tv show and movie.

What was Vixen doing when she got her CW Seed show?

Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning and Star Girl did not have books yet got shows.

Painkiller has been DEAD in comics for 20 years. Yet got a pilot.

I think too many folks are trying to blame Naomi for Wonder Girl getting passed.

Friendly reminder-the CW massed renewed a bunch of shows for next year.

They still have in the oven-the 100 spinoff, Lost Boys & Kung Fu. In all 16 pilots.

Looking at some of those renewals-they are trying to get some syndication runs setup with x number of shows.

Wonder Girl for 2022-2023 seems a better shot or HBO Max.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What was Vixen doing when she got her CW Seed show?

Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning and Star Girl did not have books yet got shows.
    These arent the best examples considering these characters were well aged characters by the time they got something big and had plenty of stories under their belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    WB want to get new characters to sell more merchandise. I think they should try a Donna/Cassie wonder girl instead.

The concept is that Yara migrates to United States. I think it would be easier if Yara ws a north american native, It's not like DC has a lot of USA natives as heroes. probably easier to write an it would avoid some mistakes made
    Yara is Native American racially. So are Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes.

Anyway, the script probably wasn’t woke enough or didn’t have enough political commentary, that’s why they passed on it. This is CW after all

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    These arent the best examples considering these characters were well aged characters by the time they got something big and had plenty of stories under their belt.
    Almost everything about Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning is original content for the show. One of the characters in Legends was created for the show and BL's daughters had relatively little presence in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Yara is Native American racially. So are Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes.

Anyway, the script probably wasn’t woke enough or didn’t have enough political commentary, that’s why they passed on it. This is CW after all
    Jaime and Jessica have never identified as Native American.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Definitely! Casting Yara would have been a HUGE nightmare! I feel the same way about Jessica Cruz when they cast her for the GLC HBO Max series...

If they cast a Native but she’s not Latina... controversy
    If they cast a Latina but she’s not Native... controversy
    If they cast someone who isn’t Brazilian... controversy

Many fan cast I saw were casting White or Black girls as Yara, claiming it’s accurate because the actress was Brazilian or Latina (not a race!)

Jaime and Jessica have never identified as Native American.
    But you can clearly tell they’re meant to be. Clearly they’re not Black, White or Asian and Latino isn’t a race. Jaime also has connections to the Mayans via the New 52 and Jessica has connections to the Aztecs in her graphic novel...

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    But you can clearly tell they’re meant to be. Clearly they’re not Black, White or Asian and Latino isn’t a race. Jaime also has connections to the Mayans via the New 52 and Jessica has connections to the Aztecs in her graphic novel...
    Jessica only has connections to the Aztecs in one graphic novel. She was not designed to have such a connection in her inception. Likewise, Jaime had no connection to the Mayans in his original depiction and even then his connection to the Mayans is having a Mayan as a villain. It would be like saying Shazam is Arab because of Black Adam.

Extraordinary Member

While I prefer characters with some history behind them get adapted first,you dont necessarily need to have the source material. They'd obviously take from Diana and create their own version. Not to mention that you have characters like Harley Quinn who originated on screen and the source material was created throughout the years.

Stargirl is WAY more popular/well known than Cassie. Courtney was a regular player in Justice League Unlimited and recurring character on Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow. Cassie is a background character in Young Justice.
    In comics, let's not forget that Stargirl had a pretty good solo; among Johns' best work IMO. Overall, I just feel she's more well known than Cassie.

Almost everything about Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning is original content for the show. One of the characters in Legends was created for the show and BL's daughters had relatively little presence in the comics.
    Black Lightning/Lynn/Anissa/Jennifer/Garfield Highschool/Jefferson being a principal/Tobias Whale/Painkiller all come from the comics.

Thunder was part of the Outsiders/been around since 2003
    Lightning part of the JSA. Been around since 1996

These characters are not like Yara whose been around for 2 months.

Jessica only has connections to the Aztecs in one graphic novel. She was not designed to have such a connection in her inception. Likewise, Jaime had no connection to the Mayans in his original depiction and even then his connection to the Mayans is having a Mayan as a villain. It would be like saying Shazam is Arab because of Black Adam.
    Then what are they if they’re not Native Americans racially? Latino is a made up term, isn’t a race and makes no sense when you think about it. If you say they’re Hispanic, then you’re saying they’re White, which they’re never depicted as.

Black Lightning/Lynn/Anissa/Jennifer/Garfield Highschool/Jefferson being a principal/Tobias Whale/Painkiller all come from the comics.

Thunder was part of the Outsiders/been around since 2003
    Lightning part of the JSA. Been around since 1996

These characters are not like Yara whose been around for 2 months.
    Aside from the names, there's little in common with the comics.

Gambi was the one who killed Jeff's father in the comics, not Whale.

Lynn was a lawyer not a scientist.

Painkiller wasn't a teenager and was a pretty minor character, only appearing in three issues and then being killed off.

Even the origin of Jeff's powers is different and is more or less ripped off from Static.