Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Then what are they if they’re not Native Americans racially? Latino is a made up term, isn’t a race and makes no sense when you think about it. If you say they’re Hispanic, then you’re saying they’re White, which they’re never depicted as.
    The short answer would be to call them mestizo but the long answer is that what they are racially is complicated by how these things are viewed in modern context. Jaime and Jessica being considered Native American would be controversial to say the least for a whole bunch of issues regarding Native American ancestry. Even them being colored with a darker skin tone (which isn't always the case) does not mean they aren't white.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The short answer would be to call them mestizo but the long answer is that what they are racially is complicated by how these things are viewed in modern context. Jaime and Jessica being considered Native American would be controversial to say the least for a whole bunch of issues regarding Native American ancestry. Even them being colored with a darker skin tone (which isn't always the case) does not mean they aren't white.
    How would it be complicated? Those South of the border are still Native Americans racially, even if they no longer practice their Indigenous beliefs (though a lot of Mexican and Central American traditions come from Natives). It’s not like we ask Black people to identify which tribe they’re from in Africa when identifying as Black... Guess Jaime and Jessica are Brown, which is what a lot of Mexican American and Central Americans see themselves as. It would be cool if DC fully committed to making Jessica Aztec and Jaime Mayan like Yara is Tupi... there’s be less controversy and less confusion

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Aside from the names, there's little in common with the comics.

Gambi was the one who killed Jeff's father in the comics, not Whale.

Lynn was a lawyer not a scientist.

Painkiller wasn't a teenager and was a pretty minor character, only appearing in three issues and then being killed off.

Even the origin of Jeff's powers is different and is more or less ripped off from Static.
    How does that matter? Majority are still the same characters at their core. Its like saying Diana isnt Diana because she's spent majority of her history as being made from clay but now she's a child of Zeus so now she is an "original" character. Either way, doesnt compare to Yara who, again, is 60 days old.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

She has an appreciation thread on this very site and her book has been critically acclaimed. Yes her book cancelled but she at least has a solo which is more than can be said for any Wonder character that isn't Diana or Yara.

Ok, you're right about her having an appreciation thread so I'll concede that she is probably well received but I just think she's too new to have a long running, successful TV series. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her and I would not be angry if her TV show lasted for 5+ years.

I do think both Naomi and Yara would be better served by introducing them in animated form first. Maybe both of them will show up in the next season of Young Justice.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    How would it be complicated? Those South of the border are still Native Americans racially, even if they no longer practice their Indigenous beliefs (though a lot of Mexican and Central American traditions come from Natives). It’s not like we ask Black people to identify which tribe they’re from in Africa when identifying as Black... Guess Jaime and Jessica are Brown, which is what a lot of Mexican American and Central Americans see themselves as. It would be cool if DC fully committed to making Jessica Aztec and Jaime Mayan like Yara is Tupi... there’s be less controversy and less confusion
    How would we be able to when we were stolen from our tribes and denied our history? Most of us don't even know what country we come from let alone a specific tribe. That's not a very good example.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Ok, you're right about her having an appreciation thread so I'll concede that she is probably well received but I just think she's too new to have a long running, successful TV series. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her and I would not be angry if her TV show lasted for 5+ years.

I do think both Naomi and Yara would be better served by introducing them in animated form first. Maybe both of them will show up in the next season of Young Justice.
    Young Justice can barely handle the bloated cast they currently have. That would be a terrible way of introducing them to broader audiences.

My question: How long must a character be around before they can have a series?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Young Justice can barely handle the bloated cast they currently have. That would be a terrible way of introducing them to broader audiences.

My question: How long must a character be around before they can have a series?
    Static was around 7 years and got his show.

Savage Dragon was around 3 years (under Image) and got his show.

Ultra Force was around 3-4 as was Wildcats and both got shows.

Nightman was 3.

The Maxx only took 2 years.

Black Dynamite it was 3 years.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was 3.

Spawn was 3-5 years.

Marvel's Night Thrasher almost saw one after being around 7 years.

Moon Girl has one coming after 3ish years.

Muppet Babies got one QUICK after a cameo in a movie

Peter Parker only took 5 years.

Funny no one questioned any of them. Yet at DC it seems to be an issue.

Incredible Member

I wasn’t too enthused about a new character getting a TV series ahead of Diana herself, the Amazons generally or Nubia, Artemis, Donna or Cassie. But, I was looking forward to seeing an expanded Wonder Family on the small screen. As such, I’m surprised and disappointed that CW aren’t proceeding given the major fanfare that accompanied the original announcement.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that Wonder Woman and her family, friends and foes get more focus in broader media soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

Naomi could (but won't). Yara Flor was created far too late for her to be written into the plot of Young Justice Phantoms. Otherwise, it could've happened.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Nightman was 3.

Spawn was 3-5 years.

Those are all animated shows. This would be unprecedented in that respect.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Nightman was 3.

Spawn was 3-5 years.

I can't speak for everyone else but I only read DC now(used to read Marvel a few decades ago) so the only one on this list that is on my radar is Static. I think being around 7 years isn't "too soon" to have a show. While this isn't set in stone, I think a character being around at least 3 years would be a good starting point.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Nightman was 3.

Spawn was 3-5 years.

The key problem here is all the cases you mentioned the source material still got a few years to grow and build the characters they're about, unlike Yara who had an announcement before the comic she was in even released.
    And then there's Naomi who's book is only 6 issues but had a story that could've been told in 3.
    Last edited by Jewel Runner; 02-15-2021 at 05:59 AM.

I honestly don't understand this line of reasoning? Why does any character "deserve" mainstream media attention? The idea of people/things "deserving" something or having to "wait their turn" has been the cause of a lot of evil in this world, so I'm always flummoxed when people use the idea of "deserve" to give or deny. People get a lot of things in this life they don't "deserve."

Naomi has Ava Duverney behind the project. That doesn't guarantee success, but it greatly helps. As for Yara, there's no definitive way of knowing, but she already seems to be taking social media by storm. She is also getting a solo series something neither Donna or Cassie was able to get. I also don't think not having many stories should be a barrier because Arrow just borrowed from Batman, Supergirl borrowed from Superman, Flash takes all the Flash stories and even some Firestorm ones. Wonder Girl would have just been a way to keep the Wonder Verse in the public eye with a character that's already garnered more positivity than Cassie - and maybe Donna combined - ever seemed to recieve.
    Seriously, this!

It boggles my mind that some folks think a character must somehow “earn” themselves a shot at a TV show by virtue of just being around long enough. We do know these aren’t real people, right? There’s no seniority here and like it or not, Yara did create some buzz in a way that Cassie never has, so why not strike while the iron is hot (or at least try). In a way, I think not having much of a history in the books is a benefit to a Yara or Naomi tv series.

BANNED

I don't get what's hard to understand DC is a franchise filled with tons of characters who get so little focus of course people are gonna find it strange or annoying these characters never get anything, save for maybe a non speaking cameo in Young Justice but a character who didn't even have a single comic out yet gets a TV series right away.

Extraordinary Member

How would we be able to when we were stolen from our tribes and denied our history? Most of us don't even know what country we come from let alone a specific tribe. That's not a very good example.
    Well....it IS possible these days with DNA tests. That can narrow it down to a specific population. But yes, generally, not easy.