Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

New Mutants, New x-men, Polaris, Rictor, Apocalypse, Kwannon, Greycrow, probably Cecilia reyes, Emma Frost.

in an cbr unpopular opinion: Betsy braddock as of this crisis in infinite betsy's arc that started in issue 13 of excalibur

I'd say most characters benefited, especially compared to the dreadful Rosenberg days.
    The one exception to me is Jean. She had way more agency in X-men Red.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'd say most characters benefited, especially compared to the dreadful Rosenberg days.
    The one exception to me is Jean. She had way more agency in X-men Red.
    I feel she had toooo much agence but that aside I get it.
    However, in my opinion, her time in x force allowed her to stretch into never treaded territory in her characters story, isnt that a win too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    I feel she had toooo much agence but that aside I get it.
    However, in my opinion, her time in x force allowed her to stretch into never treaded territory in her characters story, isnt that a win too?
    You mean when she violated all of those people's mind. That was a big debate here. I remember that.

I am not sure Krakoa Jean is Jean. Hickman said way back her reason for returning to the look was for a story reason but we haven't seen that right? I think the real Jean might be locked away in Krakoa somewhere.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    You mean when she violated all of those people's mind. That was a big debate here. I remember that.

I am not sure Krakoa Jean is Jean. Hickman said way back her reason for returning to the look was for a story reason but we haven't seen that right? I think the real Jean might be locked away in Krakoa somewhere.
    jean grey once brainwashed frenzy, and young jean's many many acts of brain atacks are on current jean too, she was never that holy and incapable of questionable actions, only because tom taylor wrote an overpowered version of jean that felt more like a version of her that compiles every "jean grey was such a perfect holy person thats why we are sad shes dead" moment after her death and thinks that idealized and saintly version is a correct intrepertation of her, and not just rose tinted glasses of characters missing a dear friend
    Last edited by Ferro; 02-14-2021 at 06:29 AM.

jean grey once brainwashed frenzy, and young jean's many many acts of brain atacks are on current jean too, she was never that holy and incapable of evil.
    I think it was the framing. In X-Men Red I think we were supposed to see Jean as Mother Theresa/Joan of Arc. Teen Jeen was supposed to be a bit of *******.

Definitely Emma. She had great moments in HOX/POX, has been the co-lead in Marauders since day one, and pops up in the other books all the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I think it was the framing. In X-Men Red I think we were supposed to see Jean as Mother Theresa/Joan of Arc. Teen Jeen was supposed to be a bit of *******.
    yeah but she's not mother theresa/joan of arc, she never was! it felt like taylor never actually read jean "Short fuse in charge" grey, just what other characters said about her in a clearly biased/rose tinted glasses prespective that made her into a martyr/saint in her death, and assumed that intrepertation was the correct one.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Well there's Wolverine, I'm sure. Because what else is new. lol Along with the rest of the Wolverines.

But a stand out for me is Apocalypse. Like a good few, his character had hit a rut & was messed up for almost 30 years, given what I heard from those who followed him more. But he has a good bit of story added to make him more layered & closed out on a good note, if I am thinking right.
    Agreed on Apocalypse. I felt Hickman & friends tried to do with him what Claremont did with Magneto in the 80s: flesh out his past and motivation and recast him as a morally grey but ultimately non-villanous character. It wasn't quite as deep but I feel it was definitely successful in making Apocalypse infinitely more interesting than he was before.

Incredible Member

Greycrow, Nanny, Empath, Orphan Maker, Sinister.

All of those have been brought right out of the shadows by being sympathetically handled and beautifully written. Anybody who hasn't read that book really should.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Agreed on Apocalypse. I felt Hickman & friends tried to do with him what Claremont did with Magneto in the 80s: flesh out his past and motivation and recast him as a morally grey but ultimately non-villanous character. It wasn't quite as deep but I feel it was definitely successful in making Apocalypse infinitely more interesting than he was before.
    Damn you are right. He has become a Magneto wannabe. Now I see why Hickman did that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Damn you are right. He has become a Magneto wannabe. Now I see why Hickman did that.
    because the best apocalypse stories don't have apocalypse in it (dark angel saga) OR are heavy alternate universe (AoA) and ever since the 90's hes been the equivalent of overhyped, two noted, repetitive blue smurf that only serves to give whoever needs it a 10 issue edgy makeover and some power-ups?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Greycrow, Nanny, Empath, Orphan Maker, Sinister.

All of those have been brought right out of the shadows by being sympathetically handled and beautifully written. Anybody who hasn't read that book really should.
    I agree on all of them but Empath.

Previous Empath had a whole character growth arc where Emma stripped away the bulk of his empathic powers, leaving him only able to sense emotions and have to use his actual social skills and words to affect others emotions. He also wasn't a born sociopath, but actually had been a normal mutant, who didn't develop his powers until puberty, so he actually grew up with normal emotional interactions with other people, but only turned into a manipulative ******* after his mutation manifested at puberty and began lording over his family and peers. He didn't have some pat excuse for how his powers made him a user or a jerk, it was totally a choice, and Emma forced him to remember how to interact with others as an equal, and he actually experienced some growth as a result, and developed some genuine feelings (for Amara).

And now, it's all been wiped away. He's got some excuse for being a jerk because his powers denied him healthy blah-blah. What was complex is now simple. He was a jerk, who had taken the first steps to being redeemable, now he's just a victim of his powers. Wah.

There's an interesting potential story to be told with a mutant whose power manifested as a child and prevented them from learning normal human give-and-take emotional interactions, but Empath was manifestly not that character.

And Bevatron was the blonde. Not Empath.

BANNED

because the best apocalypse stories don't have apocalypse in it (dark angel saga) OR are heavy alternate universe (AoA) and ever since the 90's hes been the equivalent of overhyped, two noted, repetitive blue smurf that only serves to give whoever needs it a 10 issue edgy makeover and some power-ups?
    Apocalypse had bad stories but I like him because of his character. Like this that was written by Hickman himself.

XoS is an overhyped bs where not only Apocalypse is a jobber but a depressive wreck fellow wannabe. To make it worse his Horsemen are fodders bruh. Far from being the best Apocalypse story.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Only difference is that magneto has a much better backstory and he screwed more over humans than mutants