Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What TV show or movie does the Daily Planet "feel" like to you?

I've been rewatching The West Wing recently with my wife and she pointed out, quite accurately, I think that the show is basically a superhero show for political nerds. It struck me then that the general tone, pace and high-level wit on display in that show is pretty much exactly what I think the Daily Planet should feel like most of the time.

What about you guys?

I think the vast majority of the MetroPD would feel like Brooklyn Nine-Nine, for what it's worth, with a lot of cops in Metropolis largely being lovably incompetent doofuses who let Superman do most of the work

The Newsroom with a dash of Anchorman.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Star Trek TOS. Hear me out.

It's a Daily Planet show where Lois, Clark and Jimmy are the core with Superman acting as the unseen engine of change relative to their perspective.

Superman - the Enterprise, the vehicle that drives the show and brings them to their strange, fantastic adventures. Always felt but not always on screen.

Lois - Bones. Cynical, exceptionally talented, willing to break rules she's not a fan of and prone to emotional outbursts, particularly when she feels someone is being cruel.

Clark - Spock. Reserved, the observer who is a touch unusual no matter how you slice him. Very gifted at what he does even if he seems unorthodox. Often the straight man in every joke. Admittedly, Spock is much colder than Clark but I can absolutely see him being the reserved straight man of the trio who can be mistaken for being dull and having no personality, which is not true.

Jimmy - Kirk. Dynamic, cheerful and known to be reckless despite actually playing by the rules most the time. Prone to flashes of brilliance and gets himself in trouble often. Sometimes the glue that holds the three together. Probably the most well-adjusted of the three.

Perry White - Scotty. Older but by no means has he lost his touch. Personable, but can be set off like a firecracker. Sly as a fox, he knows bullshit when he smells it. Doesn't really go into the field with the rest but always a treat when we see him.

Ron Troupe - Sulu/Uhura. Steady, reliable and likable even if he doesn't get to stand out as much. Great at everything he's tasked to do. Will likely be in charge one day.

Steve Lombard - Chekov. Takes credit for everything and fancies himself a playboy. While he's good at his actual job, he's not very good at the things he boasts to be. He often shows up to be the subject of some kind of violence or a joke. But you don't hate him. At least not all the time. He's a tool but he's your tool.

Cat Grant - admittedly a mix of Chapel and Rand. Good at what she does but doesn't get to stand out a whole lot. Largely out of focus. Squarely does not get the guy.

Like Star Trek, the Daily Planet crew are a versatile cast that could hit multiple genres and feelings. You could do full comedic farce (A Piece of the Action) to dramatic (Balance of Terror) to outright tragedy (The City on the Edge of Tomorrow).
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-13-2021 at 10:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Perry White: Ed Asner
    Lois Lane: Mary Tyler Moore
    Clark Kent: Ted Knight
    Car Grant: Betty White
    Jimmy Olsen: Georgette Engel

Retired

I've noticed that in the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN, LOIS & CLARK and SMALLVILLE, the city room is where all the reporters are pooled together (kind of like THE OFFICE), while Perry has his own office. Yet in the George Reeves ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, Clark has his own office--there's no city room as such.

When THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW was on the air in the 1970s and I was reading the Superman comics at the same time, I definitely felt that the two were connected--Perry as Lou Grant and Lois as Mary Richards. I do believe there was some inspiration that Cary Bates and Elliot Maggin were getting from the show.

Lois & Clark comes to mind, specially season 1 when the Daily Planet staff was always present and somewhat involved on the plots.

BANNED

The Newsroom

BANNED

Retired

THE NEWSROOM was a Canadian T.V. show starring Ken Finkleman. Yeah, I know there later was an American show by the same name (which I watched, too)--but I always think of the CBC show first--it was wild, spoofing a lot of sacred cows. Sort of a mockumentary type T.V. show before that was a thing.

Reading all this makes me wonder why they’ve never tried a Gotham Central type book with the Daily Planet. No way could it happen as an ongoing but maybe a BL book? I seem to recall Rucka working on a project like that at one point.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Reading all this makes me wonder why they’ve never tried a Gotham Central type book with the Daily Planet. No way could it happen as an ongoing but maybe a BL book? I seem to recall Rucka working on a project like that at one point.
    Legend has it that book became The Question: The of Blood.

What? I'm still salty.